What's new

B&M Vest Restraints vs the original ones

which is better: B&M Vest Restraints or The original ones?

• Total voters

James F

Hyper Poster
I have a preference to the old OTSR, but I don't mind either tbh

As for vest restraints, it depends on the model, obviously they suit Wing and Flying coasters, but I don't have a problem with seeing them on sit-downs or even Inverts, but putting them on dive machines is a cardinal sin.

Last edited:
I wonder what the general public think? I know my wife who's not an enthusiast prefers vest restraints as she's the only other person in my office who I know has experienced.

Archie

Mega Poster
I wonder what the general public think? I know my wife who's not an enthusiast prefers vest restraints as she's the only other person in my office who I know has experienced.
that's a good point, to most people who aren't in the know. vests are probably considered safer than the OG OTSR because of their design and by the way they look they appear more modern and therefor more advanced therefor safer. and I know a lot of the public find them more comfortable. just my opinion but I don't know.
I'm sure to most this looks more secure than this

1643155179202.png1643155237324.png
both photos from the Bolliger and Mabillard website

Last edited:

rich210uk

Mega Poster
OG OTSR for me! I dont really have a problem with the vests as such, the problem is the when they get tighter and tighter. Swarm leaves me gasping for air coming into the station. Banshee was awful, although I dont remember the vests locking on that one. Mainly because I could only brave 1 go on it as I tried to recover from the worse B&M experience ever, the vests didnt help though. I prefer leaving the OTSR a bit "Loose", just a click or two, to leave a bit of space to feel the airtime and have a bit of freedom.

Not a fan of vest restraints at all. I wouldn't mind if they didn't get tighter as the ride progresses. I have a Portacath in my chest and while it doesn't cause me any pain - it can be uncomfortable/distract from the enjoyment of the ride having a vest pressing on it. The Swarm is/was the worst offender for this!
What do you mean by was? Have the Swarm's restraint settings changed?

I find that there are pros and cons with both.

The original OTSRs give a lot more wiggle room and don't clamp down or tighten during the ride.

The vests give you a much better view of what's going on and don't restrict your peripheral vision. That said, they also are much tighter and don't really let you put your arms up properly.

The only coaster with vests I have ridden is The Swarm at Thorpe Park, the second wing coaster to be built. However with Chessington's Mandrill Mayhem opening later this year, it will be interesting to see if the functionality of the vests has changed at all over the past 11 years and if the new ones don't tighten so much.

I would probably much prefer the vests if they were looser and didn't squeeze you like a python, but alas they do. Because of this, I would probably pick the original OTSRs.

I really hope that B&M can go back to the drawing board and come out with an improved "vest restraint mk2" that does what the current ones do without the downsides...

Dan?

Roller Poster
Where's all this talk about Swarm leaving people "gasping for air" coming from? I've only ever noticed the vests get slightly tighter on my collarbone. I do prefer vests over OTSRs, I won't lie, as they feel more conforming, and yet simultaneously more free and exposed. Nothing in there about comfort.

Where's all this talk about Swarm leaving people "gasping for air" coming from? I've only ever noticed the vests get slightly tighter on my collarbone. I do prefer vests over OTSRs, I won't lie, as they feel more conforming, and yet simultaneously more free and exposed. Nothing in there about comfort.
I would agree that the tightness can be exaggerated sometimes. However, different people probable fit the restraint differently. Personally I'm quite skinny and although the vests do tighten (sometimes uncomfortably) I have never been left unable to breathe on the break run. That said, I can definitely see someone of a larger build having this issue.

catsounds

Mega Poster
I prefer the vest on swarm compared to nemisis & inferno because there just isn't enough space for 2 peoples arms between seats on the old ones, the amount of times I've been in a 2 and sat in the middle next to a stranger and it ment I couldn't move my arm with out pushing theirs out the way was so awkward

Coastercal

Roller Poster
I’ve never had an issue with the vests. Can’t imagine a wing coaster being better with OTSR, neither can I imagine a sit down (Dragon Kahn only one I’ve done) being worse with vests!

Boodangy

Mega Poster
I've experienced both the vests and the OG at the same park in Heide. I would probably feel inclined to agree with the majority opinion that the OG > vests if B&M spaced the seats farther apart like they do on the trains with the vests, however on Krake I found that the OG otsrs feel really cramped for upper body space. Granted, I've got wider than average shoulders for a guy but I'm shorter than average and I was super comfy with the vests on Flug der Dämonen.

Changa

Mega Poster
Pretty much reiterating what everyone's said, but I'd mostly go down the middle on it. OTSRs on inverts and dives are ideal (though their spacing is pretty harsh), I couldn't imagine having vests on something like a dive as the bit of leeway in the otsrs are what give me the fun fear factor to the drops.

Having said that, the vests on the swarm & gatekeeper were so insanely comfy that they're absolutely worth using and building on, I wouldn't change them for anything. As a lanky guy, nemesis' restraints clamp uncomfortably hard on my shoulders so I cant say they're too comfy anymore, especially compared to the vests.

Last edited:
Updated opinion:

Kind of hate the vests on The Swarm. Increasingly often I hit the breakrun with the vest pushing painfully hard into my collarbones. Mandrill Mayhem's vests weren't bad, didn't tighten nearly as much as The Swarm's.

I still think that the traditional OTSRs are better though.

SeanC

Mega Poster
It depends. If the ride is taken care of, then the OG restraints are better since they're less restrictive. But if the ride has gotten rougher, then the vests might be necessary to prevent head banging. When I last rode Kumba, for example, it was rough and I thought it needed the vests if not a full re-track.

I think the vests just need a little tweaking (ie. so they lock and don't tighten in a way that attempts to shatter your collarbone) and then they could be a pretty good restraint system (especially on the wing coasters). But they need to stay away from dives regardless. Away I say!

Last edited:
Since most B&M's are smooth headbanging isn't really an issue...vest are just obnoxious unless they lock (like Tatsu) where you have a little room if you are small. The vest just come down way too much.