What's new

Are you a film buff?

Are you a film buff? How many of the top 250 have you seen?

• Godlike 100% (250)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Definitely a buff 80%+ (200)

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • I'm pretty buff 60%+ (150)

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • In the buff 40%+ (100)

• I like Buffy the vampire slayer 20%+ (50)

• Bum fluff -20% (0-50)

Votes: 5 15.6%

• Total voters

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
144 out of the 250, which isn't bad really. Not sure why some of those are on the list. Rope? Really? Just because it has really long scenes shot in one continuous take doesn't make it good if the rest of it is crap.

Recommendations to Phil of those you haven't seen:

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf - An amazing script. My favourite play of all time and the film really does it justice. Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton are fantastic together.

A Streetcar Named Desire - Again, coming from a brilliant play. Knockout performances all round.

Network - Faye Dunawaye is amazing

Old Boy - Dark. Really Dark

Dial M for Murder (or did you have that?) - Hitchcock classic!

All About Eve (again, you might have had it. I just remember recommending it in a previous topic at some point) - One of my all time favourites. Really witty, intelligent script.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I'm buff!
I haven't seen Toy Story 3 or Inception yet, so 8 of the Top 10.
18 of the Top 20
23 of the Top 25
48 of the Top 50
98 of the Top 100
192 of the Top 200
241 of the Top 250

At one point in 2008 I had seen all 250.

I own 235 of the Top 250 on DVD or Lasedisc. furie & Gavin can both confirm this to be true (Hixee & Brad will be able to next week). I have over 3000 films in my collection.
I don't own Inception, Toy Story 3, Kick-Ass or How to Train Your Dragon yet (obviously). I also don't own the Chaplin films, Hotel Rowanda or Shaun of the Dead (even though I've seen them). The others that I haven't seen/don't own are Grave of the Fireflies, The Secret in Their Eyes, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans & Changeling.
I plan on owning Grave of the Fireflies & The Secret in Their Eyes in addition to the four 2010 releases, but I'll probably just rent Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans & Changeling to complete the 250 again (of course by then there will likely be other new releases I'll need to check out).

wash

Mega Poster
78/250. To be fair, I've seen 15 of the top 20 and didn't count a couple dozen more that I've seen in parts but never in one sitting.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Wow Jerry, most impressed... I knew you loved your films, but wasn't expecting quite such a huge result :) Brilliant.

Gavin... Network and Old Boy I'd never heard of at all. The others are films that I'd record if I spotted them on TV, just because I know they're films I need to watch.

I don't think I've seen "Dial M for Murder", which is a shame as I love Hitchcock.

I did watch All about Eve though about a year ago, and it's a fantastic film. It was the film that really turned me around with my "can I really be bothered with this obviously girly old crap; A-Kid" attitude. From that, it lead to a whole host of films I'd always shied from, including Sunset Boulevard and Casablanca. All films that I never thought I'd like, but massively, massively enjoyed.

It's worth taking a leap sometimes :)

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
furie said:
Wow Jerry, most impressed... I knew you loved your films, but wasn't expecting quite such a huge result :) Brilliant.
I specifically went after the Top 250 about 7-8 years ago (maybe more - time flies). I had so many of them that it only made sense to complete the collection. :wink:
I also like complete sets; like Bogart, Brando, Carney, Stewart, De Niro, Hitchcock, Wilder, Kurosawa, Scorsese, Stone, Miyazaki, Wenders, etc. I also collect series; like Bourne, Bond, Holmes, etc.
Of course my personal Top 250 differs quite a bit from IMDB's, but I would say at least 150 of them would be in my list (just not in the same order). Funny that my #1 has dropped out of the Top 250 all together. And how can Back to the Future still be #75 after all these years? :roll:

Mike

Giga Poster
I've seen a pretty spectacular 21 out of the current top 250, most of which are Disney and/or Pixar. :p

Dave

CF Legend
I have 57, there are many of the list that are on a "must get around to seeing " list. Whether it be borrowing it off a mate or simply buying it.

Oldboy is a recommendation from me (as did Gavin), if you want a fun and no brainer film then the Big Lebowski.

peep

CF Legend
I've seen 114 of that list. However I own at least another 60 of that list on DVD or blu-ray. I spend too much time at the cinema and on here that I never give myself enough time to watch them. I've also been quite harsh to myself, like there are some films I think I saw years ago but can't remember so therefore I haven't counted.

However I'd still consider myself a film buff. I watch most film releases at the cinema (you only need to look at my sig below to know that) and I'm always finding out about the latest film news etc. I love some of the older films (Sunset Boulevard is just brilliant) but I also love films released now.

And Jerry, that is epic, can't believe you've seen that many on the list.

jayjay

Giga Poster
I've seen a total of 17 from the list. I'm really not a film person much. Most of those were Pixar ones from when I was a child.

And before you ask Furie, no I have not watched the Star Wars series and yes, I have grown up normally. I saw part of one and didn't get what the big deal was... apart from Leia's gold bikini. :D

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Furie said:
Gavin... Network and Old Boy I'd never heard of at all. The others are films that I'd record if I spotted them on TV, just because I know they're films I need to watch.

I don't think I've seen "Dial M for Murder", which is a shame as I love Hitchcock.

I did watch All about Eve though about a year ago, and it's a fantastic film. It was the film that really turned me around with my "can I really be bothered with this obviously girly old crap; A-Kid" attitude. From that, it lead to a whole host of films I'd always shied from, including Sunset Boulevard and Casablanca. All films that I never thought I'd like, but massively, massively enjoyed.

Network is the film that got Faye Dunaway the Oscar. Old Boy is a Korean film that was MASSIVE when I was living there, but might not have heard of it either otherwise.

If you liked Sunset Boulevard and All About Eve, then I HIGHLY recommend Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?, my all-time favourite film. Not that it's really that similar, but it deals with the whole "aging, has been actress" theme, and relies on some really over-the-top, yet completely believable, histrionic performances. It has Bette Davis (played Margot Channing in Eve) in it as well, and she's always worth watching. I honestly don't know why it never makes these lists; it's brilliant. It tends to make the "all time greatest horror" lists all the time, though I don't know if I'd class it that way.

Anyway, just watch it. You can pick it up on DVD from Amazon for about 5-6 quid.

kimahri

CF Legend
Tried doing this for my dad. got to like 74 out of 100 and gave up. I think it's safe to say he's seen a few :/

Ben

CF Legend
gavin said:
If you liked Sunset Boulevard and All About Eve, then I HIGHLY recommend Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?, my all-time favourite film. Not that it's really that similar, but it deals with the whole "aging, has been actress" theme, and relies on some really over-the-top, yet completely believable, histrionic performances. It has Bette Davis (played Margot Channing in Eve) in it as well, and she's always worth watching. I honestly don't know why it never makes these lists; it's brilliant. It tends to make the "all time greatest horror" lists all the time, though I don't know if I'd class it that way.

Anyway, just watch it. You can pick it up on DVD from Amazon for about 5-6 quid.

This. That film is so freaking awesome, it makes me cry with happiness.

I was at one point working my way through the list, but, then the computer with the list on died and I CBAed. I got to just over a 100, probably about 110. I do consider myself to be well versed in film, but, not an expert by ANY account, just that I love them so know enough about them to get by. They're not my first love, so, I'll never know as much or care as much as I do about say, coasters or musicals <3

Brookes

Giga Poster
Mine was terrible I think it was around 16, as I couldn't remember if I had seen some or not. Only watched Downfall in German last week as well, I obviously don't watch a lot of films.

jokerman

Giga Poster
A woeful 29. If I'd counted ones that I'd seen about half of, then I would've made it up to about 50. But clearly that wouldn't count. It's for hat reason that I didn't count Star Wars 5 and 6.

Will

Strata Poster
18. Or sixteen and four halves.
With Inception very firmly on my 'To see again' list.

Inverse

Hyper Poster
I have seen 70.

I'm pleased to see so many Ghibli films on that list. I have seen all of them so they were bonus marks for me.

robbeal

Hyper Poster
I got 75, which was a bit disappointing actually! There's quite a few more that i've seen most of, but i've been told by Lucy that I can't count it if I haven't seen the end.

Interestingly, we're working our way through the Empire Top 500 films list at the moment, and without that, my total would've been woeful!

There's plenty on that list that I have every intention of watching though, so the total will grow!

Now, Lucy will put me to shame...