What's new

Are you a film buff?

Are you a film buff? How many of the top 250 have you seen?

• Godlike 100% (250)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Definitely a buff 80%+ (200)

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • I'm pretty buff 60%+ (150)

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • In the buff 40%+ (100)

• I like Buffy the vampire slayer 20%+ (50)

• Bum fluff -20% (0-50)

Votes: 5 15.6%

• Total voters

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Taken from the "discussion" in the Happy Things topic :)

I do consider myself a film buff. I love films, I love watching the direction and production and everything. I try to watch a variety of films too.

So... I thought I'd see which of the top 250 IMDB films I'd seen.

I started working my way through the top 100 all time "critically acclaimed" films, but I think this list is a little better rounded. Sometimes films may not be brilliantly made, but they can still be superb entertainment.

So, I counted how many I'd seen.

8 out of the top 10 (and one is Toy Story 3 which I'll see within a week).

That's a damn good start.

21 out of the top 25. That's still pretty good.

44 out of the top 50. I think that's still into buff territory... Then it goes wobbly...

Only 70 out of the top 100...

In the end, I've seen 148 out of the top 250 films voted for on IMDB.

That's over 50%, but I reckon you've got to be in 80% of the 250 (200 films) to really class yourself as a true film buff.

So where do you stand? To make it easy? Here's my spreadsheet :)
http://www.furie.co.uk/top250films.xls

Simply go down the list putting a 1 in if you've seen a film and a 0 if you haven't. The subtotal column will automatically work out your total (shockingly).

(and the poll is obviously between the percentages, not like "40%+ is all the above options" - dimwits!)

Nic

Strata Poster
I got a grand total of...

*drum roll*

32! hahaha

Of those 32, they're nearly all ones that I've been made to watch wither while sat in a room with other people choosing, by my film student ex-girlfriend, or while studying the associated text at school. Of the whole 250, only 2 are in my "all time favourite films of all time, ever" list (Shaun of the Dead and Holy Grail).

To be fair, I've never claimed to be much of a film person.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
That's beyond piss-poor... Especially as that list is mostly "popular" films anyway... Go away and don't come back until you've watched the Star Wars trilogy :p

I'm waiting to vote until next week. I have a sealed copy of "To kill a mockingbird" at home I'll watch tonight (or maybe Blue Velvet, but it's credz or not time :p ) and will be off to see Toy Story 3 next week. That will take me up to 60% exactly :)

Will

Strata Poster
Nic said:
... Nearly all ones that I've been made to watch either while sat in a room with other people choosing, by my film student ex-girlfriend, or while studying the associated text at school.
To be fair, I've never claimed to be much of a film person.
That saved a bit of typing... I scored 17, but only 15 if you discount the 4 0.5's I gave - 2 halves I was forced to sit through at school, the one I turned off halfway through, and Kickass - the only film I've ever walked out of. The only films on that list I actually really like and would watch again are How To Train Your Dragon and Groundhog Day, and none of the remaining 233 made me go "Oh yeah, been meaning to watch that for ages", compared to numerous "Ergh... why is THAT on the list, it looked WOEFUL".

In fact, I'm actually surprised my count was as high as that, I'd be the first to profess I'm the very opposite of a film buff, so I'm proud of my ~7%, but also of the only occasion where I replaced one of Furie's zeros with a one (Little Miss Sunshine, in case you care. Come to think about it, I've seen that at least twice, it's not bad at all...)
To be honest, I'm more than a little bloody minded when it comes to such things - the more people rave about a film, the more I assume it'll be one of those long, waffling things of which I'll understand very little (step forward Matrixes, Avatar, Inception, that awful Bourne thing, to name but a few) and thus it's the so called classics of which I'm very much inclined to steer clear. My loss? Perhaps. Star Wars? Maybe if we get more weather like yesterday :p

Nic

Strata Poster
furie said:
Go away and don't come back until you've watched the Star Wars trilogy :p
I'm proud to never have seen any Star Wars, and I intend to keep it that way. So ner! :p

A-Kid

Giga Poster
43!! Haha. Tbh a good chunk of them films were quite old and I don't really put up with old films very well, pre 80's. So it was going to be a low score.

Ollie

CF Legend
I've barely seen any of the films considered the top 250. I do enjoy films but I don't get to watch them often.
When I was younger I never really watched any films other that childrens movies such as Toy Story and The Lion King. Then when I lived in Wales from 1999-2006 I rarely got to see any films there as we lived in the middle of nowhere and the nearest cinema that showed new releases was in Swansea about an hours drive away. It doesn't help that none of my family are that bothered about films either so we're never buying DVD's often of go the cinema together that often so that's all affected how many films I've got to see. It's only the past 3 or so years where I've had to try and catch up a bit. There's still loads of films I haven't seen that I want to but can't afford to buy them on DVD so rarely get to see them.
I still haven't seen films like The Matrix or Forest Gump which almost everyone in Existence has probably seen.

Anyway my results. Which are very poor.
Top 10: 4/10
Top 20: 10/20
Top 25: 12/25
Top 50: 21/50
Top 100: 33/100
Top 200: 58/200
Top 250: 63/200

So yeah. Not many at all. :(

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Taylor For viewing:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

For editing:
http://www.openoffice.org/

FFS, it's Excel... :lol:

Will, you sadden me. How any male has grown up without watching at least one Star Wars film is beyond me... You'll end up growing up all emotionally messed up and lonely... ;)

Though, you have seen the Wall which may have put all the emotional mess into some kind of oddly skewed perspective. :)

A-Kid, it's worth actually forcing yourself to watch older films. If you only watch modern films, you only see things made with modern technology beyond what you have.

A film like Psycho will have been made using equipment much less technologically advanced than you possess, but it's still a superb film. The point is, you can watch how to make a brilliant film that it's actually possible for you to recreate now. It's learning direction from the ground up. Also, some of them (like Psycho) may actually surprise you in the fact that they're actually really good. They're paced differently, often being story setting and character based for more of the film than modern movies (compared to the frantic in your face crap we get today :p ), but the reason is to set up the film, so once it gets going, it's deeper and more believable and ergo more shocking.

Ollie... yeah... :lol:

kimahri

CF Legend

I watch movies for the fun of it but... I raged over the fact I'm missing ONE Ghibli film from that list... >:C

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
I can't use the the list since it's Excel, but having a look through, my score wouldn't be very high.

I'd never class myself as a film buff. I enjoy watching films, but I rarely study into them etc.

I just like watching them occasionally. :)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Just to put the "I'm so young" thing into perspective.

By the time I was 18, I'd watched 53 of that list. Considering the sheer number that hadn't even been made by 1991, that's no excuse for any of you - especially considering the number of Pixar films in there!!! :p

http://www.furie.co.uk/top250films.txt

For people too poor and skanky to own Excel or the FREE Open Office :p

And again, the youth thing... Just done Minor_furie's count for him.

He's seen 70 of the films... Though he wouldn't have done if his parent's didn't have such great a tastes and made him watch films like "Princess Bride" and "Alien" :p

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
48 of 250. Pretty bad I know.

I do watch a fair amount of films, but most of them are pretty mediocre to be honest. Also, there seemed to be a lot of films on that list that I simply would never think to watch. Some film I've never heard of from the 1950s is unlikely to get me to sit down and watch it. It's not that I'm too young to have seen them, I just don't care enough.

So no, I'm not a film buff, but I don't care. I enjoy films, how they're made, behind the scenes etc. I can sometimes find some of this quite pretentious. 90% of the time it's but some people can really wind me up about this sort of thing. Thankfully no-one has done this yet in this thread. If your opinion of me changes because of this, then well...

Nic

Strata Poster
Uncle Arly said:
Nic said:
Why can't people open excel files? Even if you've only got an open source office suite you should still be able to view them, surely

I don't have that either. :lol:

So get one. As Furie said, Open Office ftw. As Furie also said, it's free. No excuse. www.openoffice.org

I went through Empire's top 500 films, and got 77, which is a slightly higher percentage than this list. It also made me feel slightly more smug because it contained one of the 3 'arty' 'foreign' films that I own on DVD.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Hixee said:
48 of 250. Pretty bad I know.

I do watch a fair amount of films, but most of them are pretty mediocre to be honest. Also, there seemed to be a lot of films on that list that I simply would never think to watch. Some film I've never heard of from the 1950s is unlikely to get me to sit down and watch it. It's not that I'm too young to have seen them, I just don't care enough.

That's mostly me. 61, and I only have actually been really into films for about a year now xD So not to bad really :p

But yeah, I suspect if this topic was made in about a year or so, my total would have tripled at least.