What's new

Anyone think I305 > M Force?

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Just so no one thinks I'm trying to be an ass I meant that literally, he's a coaster champ and if he had grey outs than that really says something.

Hmmm well thanks for the info guys.
Of course I still need to get to KD and ride it but I'm in far less rush

nadroJ

CF Legend
Just because you ride a lot of coasters doesn't mean you're less susceptible to greying out on things than people who have been on less than you. It's all to do with your body, and unfortunately for us riding more coasters doesn't necessarily 'train' our bodies against such things as greying out.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
As Coasterforce's resident I305 fanboy, here's my take:

The ride is stupid intense. It's relatively uncommon for most people to go through the ride without greying out at least a little bit.. if not the first time, then on a re-ride. By the nature of its layout, every twist and turn is taken at very high speed, which puts a lot of sustained positive G's on you. There are a few patches of airtime, and they aren't bad either (absurd trim brake notwithstanding), but I305 is really all about 3 things: a huge drop, sustained high speed, and positive G's. The ride is designed to suggest the experience of driving a race car, and I think it does that well.

With that in mind, it's not at all hard to understand why this type of ride doesn't have universal appeal. Enthusiasts aren't the only people who complain about its intensity. Several of my friends don't enjoy riding it, and neither does my brother, who will ride anything with me when we go to parks as a family. Some say positive G's are exhausting (they are, but I find them thrilling), some people don't like the experience of greying out (I kind of do), some hate the quick transitions (I love 'em). You need look no further than the fact that, on any given day, Volcano, and sometimes Dominator, will have longer lines than I305 - which at that height, speed, and cost should be the park's marquee coaster - for evidence that the ride is flawed.

That being said, it's also highly appealing to a certain sector of riders. To me, it's almost the perfect coaster when the trim isn't grabbing like it does this season. As it currently rides, it's still a ton of fun. It's an entirely different ride from Millennium Force, and I would say it's better, but I understand the opposite point of view.

Perhaps, one might say that I305 is like heavy dubstep: very high in energy and intensity, and equally appealing to some as it is unappealing to others.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Well I do hate dubstep...but despite all the negativity I am still intrigued by the ride.

Glad I'm not alone in that opinion! Everyone hates the layout but I not only like it... given the Dale Earnhardt theme, speed and turns, my guess was it was supposed to be like a racecar.
The sustained speed and epic positive Gs sounds awesome to me.

I'm a little perturbed to hear the trims are gripping more this season, since I'm hoping to go in under a month, but short lines you say? Well, I like the idea of quick transitions, and positive Gs. Never greyed out but there's a first for everything!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Here's the thing though: if it was meant to be like a race car, if that was the plan, they would've been better off with a launch instead of that ridiculous first drop.

They wanted a HUGE coaster to market, but they didn't want the rest of the layout to match. Saying it's supposed to simulate a race car after the thing has been designed and started construction just doesn't cut it.

It's just a name and a brand for the coaster, not an "experience". Take a look at the other Intimidator, at Carowinds, for proof.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Maybe.
Who knows, we're not in their heads.

Thanks for all the input, I'll find out for myself soon.
Though I'm not expecting to like it more than MF, but maybe it'll end up top 5.

Now just to knock Bizarro!

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
The theme of the Intimidators is marketing. That's all their is to it.

I think it's odd that Carowinds didn't use the opportunity to get a launcher, though. Kings Dominion I can understand, what with them already owning three launchers, and to think they had Hypersonic at one point, too.

KD is a weird park who's decision making when it comes to attractions is... A little off the wall. It really is one of the oddest collections of coasters out there. I think that park has somehow got a little stuck in a rut of building unique rides, perhaps because they know there's a decent amount of competition around? I don't know, but it's not working too well. KD is just seen as that generic "local park". It doesn't have the long-distance draw that Busch, Hershey or Great Adventure do... And people from the area definitely make a trek for the later two, as well as visiting the very up market local Busch on the occasion.

Regarding the trim... I honestly don't think there's any difference. That drop is still terrible. There's no sense of speed, at all. It might as well be powered. And the amendments to the turn have not improved the loosing vision problem. Whether or not that was the intention I dunno, I hear it was more because the number of wheels it was getting through was insane, but I recon they still hoped to improve the stupid intensity there with the changes.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Well I was thinking more the style of the ride...the theming is absolute crap since it looks like, well there is no theming...it just sits on a sand lot.
But as we know...out side Busch Gardens, Disney, maybe a couple of others I expect 0 real theme in any US park.

Well that's all personal, I like KD and the rides are fine. Know its in our nature to be over analytical but cant say the odd collection or all that other stuff really matters, the park is the park.

Yeah I heard from ECG (or Ian..whoever runs the CF YT channel) that wheels were melting from the forces in the turn.
Well, all I know is I'll be riding it soon hopefully and looking forward to it.
Must say, Im surprised that only one (maybe 2?) seemed to actually like the ride. TPR gang seems a little more extreme :p

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I dunno where this idea that theming means the quantity of physical fake stuff came from.

Theming just means the theme of the attraction. It's really that simple. With I305, that means it's name, colours, music, train design, that car, signage, merchandise... Etc.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Well I hate the fake stuff, I like to see real quality and landscaping involved not throwing up cardboard cut outs, some rings and fire and mist, but that's far from the point.
Regardless, of course the theming sucks, regardless of what you call theming. Its a US park! And you said yourself KD doesn't try very hard so of course the theme is lame.

Anyway Ive heard quite a lot of input certainly. Still excited, and I still like KD a lot but thats why we have our own opinions!

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Most US parks have good theming, again, something some enthusiast just made up.

I feel like I'm talking to a wall though so I'm just going to leave now.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Well nothing personal but I wasn't expecting a theme debate, nor do I really care for one, so sorry for being crappy haha To be fair, you've been a bit..passionate. Sorry for something I may have said, but really I think I've been pretty mundane and just stating my opinion.

It is all opinion man. Slightly miffed what is my opinion is a "wall" and that Im some brainwashed drone to what the enthusiasts say ; ) I honestly am not impressed with theming at most US parks. That's all. Its not that important to me so doesn't matter much.

As for I305 thanks for all the input guys, and certainly shows you cant judge a book by its cover..or its POV. Still Im excited to get this beast out of the way soon.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Lol, sorry, but every time this guy posts it comes across firstly as incredibly defensive, which is irritating beyond belief, and then when you actually read the content of his posts he hasn't actually listened to or taken in anything anybody has said, and then to top it off he tells us how excited he is to ride I305 for the millionth time.

I don't know, it just felt like he posted the question in the first place to get some kind of opinion on what he could expect from the ride, and then when people give their honest opinions on the ride he gets all defensive about it, with an 'well I'm going to enjoy it no matter what you guys say!' Like.......we're not trying to persuade you to hate it, but a lot of us do hate it and were giving our opinion on the ride, which was what the OP was asking for? It's an incredibly irritating attitude coming across from his posts.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
nadroJ said:
^You're annoying.

Could very well be.

It was indeed exactly what I was asking for.
Nothing to say bout the rest, you cant see me (least I hope not!) but I really never felt defensive, sorry for coming across that way. I do like to joke, and I do like to stand by an opinion but thats all, perhaps I word it badly.
Was just looking for opinions, maybe it's weird but it's something I like to do.

edit: Oh, except for the excitement. That I will never apologize for. It may come off as a 12 year old and bug you till the sun comes up but passion is one thing I just can't never say sorry about :--D

bizarrofan10

Hyper Poster
I think Millennium is better, but only by a little bit. I mean, its my #1 and Timmy is my #3. I think that Timmy is a little more intense, but Millennium is longer and has more airtime hills. Millennium's intensity is underrated in my opinion. Timmy is more intense, but Millennium is not far behind. And what MF loses in intensity it definitely makes up with airtime and length.

bmac

Giga Poster
I don't like either compared to the other steels that I've been on. Millennium Force just speeds you through 6000 feet of super drawn out turns and hills to the point where there's absolutely no force whatsoever, and on the other hand i305 is so tight and compact your butt is planted so far in the seat you can't get out when the ride is over. I seriously do not understand the hype that comes with coasters that go over 90 mph or are taller than 250 feet, it's all just blown potential due to the rides being gigantic, over-engineered one trick ponies.

Skyrush is basically i305 done right, but those harnesses are just not fit for the coaster and the amount of air time it packs. When Hershey and Intamin actually fix that issue Skyrush will definitely be higher tier than both Gigas.

andrus

Giga Poster
bmac said:
i305 is so tight and compact your butt is planted so far in the seat you can't get out when the ride is over. I seriously do not understand the hype that comes with coasters that go over 90 mph or are taller than 250 feet, it's all just blown potential due to the rides being gigantic, over-engineered one trick ponies.
To you maybe. But for one that enjoys intense rides (like myself) I305 is coaster heaven! And apparently there are a lot of other people who like their rides fast and instense since I305 is currently ranked #3 in th world.