What's new

Alton Towers to remove Submission - world rejoices! :)

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
I thought it was alright. Not brilliant, but not bad either. Hope they fill it with something decent as it was better than an empty space.

jj23w

Hyper Poster
furie said:
Yeah, was Enterprise people moaned about I think. Nobody would ever moan about submission being shut - ever.
I think some people didn't like that both flat rides were shut so a lot of people nagged for them to reopen.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
I liked the advert for it.

That's about it though.

I'm gunna assume that by 'remove' they mean 'get rid of the ride hardware but do nothing with the empty queueline and pit for years to come'

STC

Mega Poster
The ride is not going as part of a long-term plan.

The decision to remove was only made extremely recently, after maintenance costs just got too much.

Nic

Strata Poster
Hahahaha! I'm loving the typically CF reaction to this. Only one thing left to say...

My thoughts and prayers are with Submission's family at this difficult time.

Anyway. Could they get away with sticking a Top Scan in there? Surely that'd fit the bill as a compact, affordable, thrilling and spectacular looking flat ride? Surely a half decent 2nd hand one wouldn't be hard to get hold of reasonably quickly? How many planning hoops would they have to go through just to stick a travelling ride in there? If I remember rightly, Phil said that The Smiler was in an area where they only needed planning permission for the buildings, not the actual ride. Surely Submission's site would be the same then, meaning they could just plonk something right in without any fuss at all?

But yeah, in all seriousness, get used to the empty space, cause it's gonna be there a while.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, I think that area is open for anything just to go in. That site has had a flat ride on it (or very close to it) for years and years.

Maybe they'll move Blade back there :p

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Hopefully they'll get rid of the enterprise as well, and get something really nice in there! Maybe even have room for a junior coaster?

Martyn B

CF Legend
A Topscan would be a good choice, especially as they would probably go with a Smiler tie-in.

And not only will they do nothing with the land, I bet the ride will sit there all year too.

Pierre

Strata Poster
I rode this once. It sucked balls.

Shame it's just going to be an empty space for 2014 no doubt - meaning queuelines in the park elsewhere will increase!!!! (by one person per 10 minutes as that was probably it's intake of customers).

Casio

Mega Poster
^A Top Scan would be great

Like everyone's said, I hated the ride, I haven't been on it in about 8 years, but I really do hope they do something with the space. It did look good, and it fitted the X Sector theme perfectly. I assume they're either removing it because of maintenance cost, or because they intend to replace, but I guess maintenance is fairly likely since they're not built anymore and I've never seen both sides running.

What else could realistically fit? A Screamin' Swing?

Scott88

Hyper Poster
Good decision by Towers, let's hope they make another decent decision when they come to replace it whenever that may be.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Never went on it. I did one - single arm though - at some other park somewhere and never felt the need to repeat the experience.

I remember when it was new though; it got pretty much the same amount of TV advertising as Oblivion. Nuts really.

jj23w

Hyper Poster
I would like to have one of them replaced with something like samurai at thope park good throughput and also can be themed to x secor and have a tie in with the smiler not gutted that its going to be honest is it going in february or end of season.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
What, replace one awful hangtime monstrosity for another? I'd rather it was left empty than have another screaming squirrel built <\\\3

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
They could easily use the space to add another lift hill and 7 more inversions to Smiler :p

Slowly taking over the park like a coaster in the original theme park game.