Status
Not open for further replies.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

Pierre said:
Who's seriously thinking of going on the 23rd? I haven't took any holidays this year yet so might waste one on this day????

The live will be on the Thursday Pierre, seeing as everybody is going anyway :lol:

As for inversions? I'll take my diagram and measure on the ride itself ;)

Smithy

Strata Poster

Hmmmm. I was going to Chessy on that date but Alton is darn tempting now. Decision pends on Pierre's reply I think, don't think I could pass up opening day.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Smithy said:
Hmmmm. I was going to Chessy on that date but Alton is darn tempting now.

Do it Smithy, we're dying to finally meet you.

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

nealbie

CF Legend

Phil, I'm fully expecting a lecture in the X Sector on each and every inversion.

Don't forget to bring mad professor stick on sideburns!

Smithy

Strata Poster

furie said:
Smithy said:
Hmmmm. I was going to Chessy on that date but Alton is darn tempting now.

Do it Smithy, we're dying to finally meet you.

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

but but but breakdowns and queues and I really don't know if I can be arsed with the journey not to ride it (lul its only hour fourty five but still) and im scared of some of you being mean.

If they offer bouncebacks and the 23rd is definitely going to happen I probably will. I know they've confirmed it but I don't want to commit and book a hotel if it won't be open. Would 2 for 1's be valid as usual?

The Grape Wizard

Hyper Poster

18th of May is the staff turn on The Smiler so that's when we may get first reports on how it rides

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

Since construction and testing has now halted so we can all let completely disinterested people know whether we can go or not on opening day, I'll join in and say that I can't.

If was a normal week I might have considered calling in sick, but I'm going to a concert in Manchester on the Friday night straight after work as it is and then flying to Russia the next day. Calling in sick on Thursday just to be in work on Friday with bags packed ready to go straight on holiday might raise a few eyebrows.

I am tempted to pull a sickie from work some time in early June though - can't be arsed with busy weekends or summer crowds and school trips shouldn't have kicked in too much.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

Officially confirmed as World's First 14 Inversion Coaster today by Towers...

Cue rampaging enthusiasts stating that there'll be SOMETHING else...

spicy

Giga Poster

Surely they have to make a huge deal about this having the most inversions in the world now that they have an opening date?

I can't believe something so marketable has only just been officially announced!

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster

I don't care about the number of inversions. Where's that washing machine element dammit? :(

...oh, I was being sarcastic ;)

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

spicy said:
Surely they have to make a huge deal about this having the most inversions in the world now that they have an opening date?

I can't believe something so marketable has only just been officially announced!
Alton Towers don't need to make a big fuss about the inversions - the media and enthusiasts sites are doing that for them! If you read any media/enthusiast group report about Smiler before and shortly after the ride opens, it will mention the 14 inversions (or "loops" to dumb it down) record. There will be enough coverage for Alton Towers without them lifting a finger. Secondly, Alton might want to play down the "14 loops" thingy slightly to avoid putting off more casual/sacred/lame/family guests from visiting.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016

I casually flicked through Twitter this morning and saw that Alton Towers had officially announced the 14 inversions. I was walking to college at the time and literally felt the shivers go down my spine, so great to finally be announced.

Would it be too cliche to call The Smiler the most anticipated ride in the UK ever...or perhaps the world? I have certainly been more interested in this than Gatekeeper, but that's probably because I won't be going to Cedar Point for a few years yet :p

Markeyed

Roller Poster

Isn't it school holidays around that time?

I think you will be suprised at how busy it gets around may 20th.

Robbie

Hyper Poster

Markeyed said:
Isn't it school holidays around that time?

I think you will be suprised at how busy it gets around may 20th.
School holidays should be the week after (so they break up on Friday 24th). Some parts of the UK may vary but 27th - 31st May is the standard because it's Bank Holiday week.

Smithy

Strata Poster

Can't get through to the contact us page on Alton's website atm (but no doubt a very friendly person will put up their email address if they read this :)) but I need to know if they'll accept the 2 for 1 vouchers on opening day.

More generic, can you use the bounceback price thingy (think it's an extra £5) to come back the next day with one of these vouchers? I'm sure we were offered it at Thorpe when we used a 2-for-1 but I can't be certain and found nothing on their website saying either way.

Oh and how bad is opening day likely to be? Full attention on Smiler and rest of the park empty or just hectic throughout?

nadroJ

CF Legend

^Swarm opening day was a Thursday and it was DEAD, however the Saturday after was gross. I'm expecting it to be much of the same.

Also, please for the love of god come, it'll be fab if you do <3

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Smithy said:
Can't get through to the contact us page on Alton's website atm (but no doubt a very friendly person will put up their email address if they read this :)) but I need to know if they'll accept the 2 for 1 vouchers on opening day.

I think that as long as the voucher doesn't have a "you can't use it on these dates" and the 23rd is one of them, then it will work.

Smithy said:
More generic, can you use the bounceback price thingy (think it's an extra £5) to come back the next day with one of these vouchers? I'm sure we were offered it at Thorpe when we used a 2-for-1 but I can't be certain and found nothing on their website saying either way.

I'm pretty sure the 2-4-1 is one full issue ticket at full price, and one complimentary ticket. You can use a full ticket to bounce back, but I don't know about complimentary tickets. I suspect that the people running the booths who only have to visually check the tickets don't give a damn.

Smithy said:
Oh and how bad is opening day likely to be? Full attention on Smiler and rest of the park empty or just hectic throughout?

Actually, Thirteen opening day (a Saturday) was pretty quiet - about normal for a Saturday at this time of year (it was early season though). I think midweek and just before the holidays that it will mostly be enthusiast groups there. I think we'll be looking at big queues for The Smiler (depending on if it works) and the rest of the park dead.

nadroJ

CF Legend

furie said:
Actually, Thirteen opening day (a Saturday) was pretty quiet - about normal for a Saturday at this time of year (it was early season though). I think midweek and just before the holidays that it will mostly be enthusiast groups there. I think we'll be looking at big queues for The Smiler (depending on if it works) and the rest of the park dead.

I don't know Phil, I reckon it's too short notice for many people to get the time off. People were excited for Swarm too in enthusiast groups, yet opening day it was walk-on all day and it wasn't until the Saturday that the crowds gathered.`
Also, with regards to the Bounce Back things, as long as you can find an entrance ticket (there's usually some on the floor by the entrance, etc) they'll let you buy one.

Smithy

Strata Poster

You aren't half good to me Furie.

I think that as long as the voucher doesn't have a "you can't use it on these dates" and the 23rd is one of them, then it will work.

Aye that's what I was hoping, want to be sure though just in case they play the ''IT SAYS SUBJECT TO TERMS AND CONDITIONS''.

I'm pretty sure the 2-4-1 is one full issue ticket at full price, and one complimentary ticket. You can use a full ticket to bounce back, but I don't know about complimentary tickets. I suspect that the people running the booths who only have to visually check the tickets don't give a damn.

Might be a risk worth taking then.

You're really selling this to me. Given gf doesn't seem at all interested in Chessington for her birthday it'd make sense for Alton, just didnt' want to end up getting just two rides in whilst on park. So, so tempting.

Rofl cheers Jordan. I think.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

you could well be right Jordan - I don't have any experience of open days midweek. It's one of those "plan for the worst and hope to be surprised" things :)

Can pretty much guarantee that the rest of the park will be pretty dead though.

Status
Not open for further replies.