Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

The secure links (httpS) don't work - stupid YouTube always changing the way they push their URLs. The forum software can only handle one URL type. Take out the S and it works.

The ride looks... Rough... [/surprised] Are they the usual restraints? They look like there's a bit cut out to try and stop neck chopping :lol:

Also looks very fast, and quite interesting...

Lofty

CF Legend

SURELY I can't be the only one who sees the 'slam' at the bottom of the drop that Saw offers too?

Ride entrance sign.
179189_10151576109172440_20125270_n.jpg

I have to admit, it looks a bit naff to me...

Courtesy of Jayjay90 on TTF.

Martyn B

CF Legend

Yeah that entrance looks awful. I was hoiping the entrance would be underneath the coaster, so the people not wanting to ride can still mince around under it, taking it all in.

Anyway, complete off ride video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlYuU-ACDiQ#ws[/youtube]

ciallkennett

Strata Poster

Blimey, this thing really is faster than I could have ever imagined! I suspect this is going to be forceful through the tight layout... and in a season or so's time, forceful and rough as hell resulting in severe nausea and induced vomiting after every ride.

spicy

Giga Poster

If anyone's expecting this to run as smooth as a B&M they are deluded.

It's going to be rough, quick, disorientating and intense. Probably a re-rideability rating of 0. A lot of people will not enjoy this coaster and a lot of people will love it. I'm expecting it to divide opinion like Baco.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

That Entrance? **** me it's awful!
That Off-Ride? **** me it's fast!

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

I was going to make a humorous comment about it looking slow, but that would be rather insulting.
It looks fast as ****!! Amazing stuff.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Yeah, needs trims ;) :p [/how to commit enthusiast forum suicide]

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016

Lofty said:
Ride entrance sign.
179189_10151576109172440_20125270_n.jpg

I have to admit, it looks a bit naff to me...

Courtesy of Jayjay90 on TTF.

I have to admit it does look rather naff...they spend £18million on a 14 looping coaster and make an entrance like that? Slightly anticlimactic...My fav ride entrance is Stealth's, walking through a huge tyre appeals to me for some reason...

Markeyed

Roller Poster

Shall we demand Dr.kellmans face as the entrance? Haha

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016

I also love how Alton Towers used to only have 6 inversions as a park, putting it in tied 18th places with 73 parks having more inverts. Now it has 20 putting it in tied 4th place with Carowinds with just three parks with more.

I was surpised that both Drayton and Mingo land has more inverts than the Towers, it shows that they were starting to slip. I wonder where Merlin will look next? I'd like Alton Towers to get a decent Intamin accelerator or Thorpe to get a flying coaster, Air is awesome but it is just too far.

oriolat2

Giga Poster

spicy said:
I'm expecting it to divide opinion like Baco.

This. I don't think that many people can handle multiple consecutives rides on it. By the looks of the pace, which is damn fast, I think that riding the Smiler will be more like an endurance test. To be honest, the fact that it may leave you more than disoriented is coherent with the story and suits the theme perfectly well.

I need to get back to Alton... :)

Gazza

Giga Poster

Martyn B said:
So, testing is pretty much taking place, yet there still hasn't been any trims added to the two parallel hills:

P1150978_zps0a3d819c.jpg

From Towerstreet.

Yet there's all that mechanism in the track, anyone have ideas yet as to what it could be for?

Haha, speed cameras have to be painted yellow in the UK don't they?
The ORP camera reminds me of that:

speed-camera-types-2.gif

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpA7fBEUyqU&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
So it's evidently rough as Nic's arse being tongued by me. 14 inversions and Gerstlauer don't mix! I like the speed of it though. My initial prediction is it'll be fun but not re-ridable multiple times.

Treeis

Mega Poster

Well, it doesnt look as bad as Saw. And I like the look of the padding on the restraints...

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

^ Yes, it'll be interesting to see what big-breasted women think of them.

the king

Mega Poster

Thank goodness that transition into the final brake run isn't so violent like saw. But as many have said, it looks amazing. One thing that surprised me though is that the trains look big on the track compared to the images they released of it on the track. Anyway, a great looking coaster.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

I've since heard that apparently it's quite smooth...

Pinch of salt definitely needed, but perhaps the new style of trains will cause a bit less of an issue that we see with Saw (and weirdly, not really any of the others)...

Smithy

Strata Poster

From the Youtube video Alton posted of it testing up on Twitter, even the person filming can't keep track of which mass of track the train is going to come up from :p

As for the Daybreak video, there's a lot less headbanging than I thought, and that bunny hop looks pretty good.

Got a reply from Alton earlier that may be of use.

Thank you for your email, as long as the vouchers are in date then they will be accepted, please check the terms and conditions on the back of your voucher.

Wooo.

With regards to bounce back tickets these can be purchased on the day of your visit for £4.80 for the day after or alternatively £15 for another date later in the year.

WOOOOO.

Although it didn't answer my question about if they work with BOGOF's, so I'll assume they do. Didn't answer about any reimbursments if the ride breaksdown or is closed, wonder if Pierre got a reply?

Status
Not open for further replies.