What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Re: Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1st

Also on the logo of Staffs Uni (and the badge I wear from there)...

Good old Staffs...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

It's all knots and octagons in Staffordshire, no idea what the obsession is...

It's a crap knot too.
m134b.gif

the king

Mega Poster

That support at the beginning of the batwing element looks funky. If you don't know what support I'm talking about, here is a edited image showing it.

Support_zpse682db83.jpg

Original image by towerstimes. http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/sw7-91/l ... ember-2012)/

This whole coaster is looking incredible. It should be great to be able to go under the coaster in the pit, with all the mess of track around and seeing the coaster dueling.

RobJackson85

Roller Poster

Batwing first. Cobra roll after second lift.

Posting on the go via Tapatalk.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster

So far it looks to have 9 inversions:

Inline twist
Lift Hill 1
Dive Loop
Dive Loop
Airtime Hill
Batwing
Brakes
Vertical Lift hill 2
Sea Serpent roll
Airtime hill
Cobra Roll
Twisty bit
Brakes

elephant58

Hyper Poster

Is this going to be like OzIris, when they didn't release the name of the ride for absolutely AGES.

spicy

Giga Poster

Looking at that its really hard to imagine this having anything but the standard eurofighter trains. Which we know it doesn't have.

Looking forward to seeing what these trains are like actually.

Oh and the "Staffordshire Knot" (lol) looks incredible.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Martyn B said:
The headchoppers through that are going to be insane!

It would be utterly fantastic if they could get both trains through the interlocked elements at the same time.

marc

CF Legend

It does look really impressive have to admit, just hope it rides as good as it looks :)

Martyn B

CF Legend

furie said:
Martyn B said:

It would be utterly fantastic if they could get both trains through the interlocked elements at the same time.

I get the feeling that might not be possible...

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

spicy said:
Looking at that its really hard to imagine this having anything but the standard eurofighter trains. Which we know it doesn't have.

Looking forward to seeing what these trains are like actually.

Yeah, although that layout looks insanely good, the trains are going to make or break this for me.

I'm loving all the secrecy and excitement. It's great that there's still so much left unknown at this late stage.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016

So I have a few thoughts on what I'm seeing:
*That Staffordshire knot (ugh) looks a tad bit like the smiley face logo. (I might be having an "if it were a snake it would have bitten you" moment but I don't ever recall seeing this mentioned, sorry to bring it up if I just missed something)
*Part of the "first" element of this coaster might be the fact that it duels yet you can ride both sides in the same ride.
*In regards to the theme, I have possible questions I'd like to throw out there. 1. What could the dueling aspect of the coaster represent? and 2. Early promo material depicted the ride with the symbol of a DNA helix, could this at all be tied to the "#getcorrected" slogan they have been using?
*I might just be thinking like the amusement industry-bound mechanical engineering student I am, but the swirling of the smiley face logo and "insanity" theme that seems to be tied to the ride got me thinking, could the secret weapon involve the train on a track segment Mounted above a set of a few horizontal cams varying in size that turn at changing speeds and directions? It would be a good way to make sure no ride is the same (program the cams differently and the possibilities are infinite) and doing that in the dark would definitely mess up your senses. Hope that made sense...

Again, some or all of this might be "duh" but I just had a few pieces of information connect in my brain and I wanted to get my perspective on these points out there.

elephant58

Hyper Poster

Martyn B said:
furie said:
Martyn B said:

I get the feeling that might not be possible...

I wonder if after it opens there'll be a big news story involving a certain Alton Towers.

Also, just seen on TT that some members have sent emails to AT regarding the opening date and the replies have stated that they 'don't have a specific opening date, but we are working towards the early part of the season.' :|

scw55

Hyper Poster

Given the Duelling Dragons/Dragon's Challenge sadly had to be permanently closed due to a rider being clobbered by loose articles from the opposing train... I hope SW7 remains open for the full life it needs.

Perhaps the forces involved in the elements makes it very hard for any loose articles to attack any riders in the other train.

I am still hoping the train isn't just two Eurofighters stuck together. I would be disappointed as I doubt it's possible to make it aesthetically pleasant to look at. The alternative would be a 4-4-4-4 train which is at danger of looking awfully like a B&M sit-down or X-Floorless and losing the 'unique appearance' of a standard Eurofighter car. I think I am probably set for disappointment. This is the only reason why I had hoped SW7 wasn't going to be Gerstlauer because I myself don't like the appearance of the cars.

Ethan

Strata Poster

^ Lighten up! Also Dragon Challenge isn't permanently closed. It's open, just not running together.

scw55

Hyper Poster

I would be a shame though. I guess the advantage of train on-top is that loose articles will tend to be forced into the coaster's car due to the forces, instead of the suspended. That's assuming the train isn't floorless.

Status
Not open for further replies.