What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

scw55

Hyper Poster
Re: Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1st

I'm just more pissed off at people demanding the sticker to be removed. It's like, they're getting aerial images that shouldn't exist to begin with and now they want to see everything?
Part of me wish that we were stuck with the whole Tree-Photography because then the only 'politics' to deal with was tress-passing enthusiasts.

But yes, it is in TT's best interest to not reveal all. If there is a secrete aspect hidden which TT were going to use to market the ride, AT could potentially lose a lot of money if it got leaked ahead of schedule. Thus potentially losing jobs. I highly doubt it's a TT and AT working together. If it was AT wouldn't have TT flying above the site to begin with. It does annoy me how difficult it is to talk to people on that forum. They're like politicians. They slip and slide to avoid the question you're actually asking. Or they completely miss the point of what you're saying. Wow, that turned into a bitch post.

T0M

Hyper Poster

Lofty said:
When they say, "Working closely with Alton Towers", what they really mean is, "We don't want to all get on the ban list and piss Towers off more".

I made that point in a much politer way on tehri message boards and the reaction was fairly hostile.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

I can't be arsed to discuss politics on other sites because everything I need/want to know about theme parks I can read here on CF, on parks official websites and Screamscape.

Does it really matter to any of us what the relationship between TT and AT is? No. I know how difficult it is to build a rapport with a park, often for little reward. TT are certainly gambling with their relationship with AT over this but that's no concern to us. I suggest we sit back, enjoy the photos and speculation.

And as I've said before, if anybody wants to post "secret" or "exclusive" images on here, I'm cool with that. If somebody has a problem with it, they'll contact me to negotiate removal.

Martyn B

CF Legend

I don't believe they would attempt to beat the record by a single inverion. I think 14 is more likely to give themselves a bit of breathing room.

Why do they need breathing space? If the record gets beating a year later, the coaster is STILL "the worlds first 12 inversion coaster". Just like Collossus is still, and always will be the worlds first 10 inversion coaster.

marc

CF Legend

I don't care if they beat the record or not I just want a good solid coaster with no silly gimmicks.

Alton Towers are meant to have said they don't know if the coaster will be ready at the start of the season.

bob_3_

Giga Poster

Just saw adverts for SW7 outside my flat in Shoreditch in east london. I'll post pictures later.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

Lofty said:
When they say, "Working closely with Alton Towers", what they really mean is, "We don't want to all get on the ban list and piss Towers off more".
Concerns me that it's an issue at all. Fans can and will do whatever the hell they want, and whilst that sucks for the park, there isn't anything they can do about it. They couldn't ban an entire group, or even individuals, successfully even if they wanted to - and the negative press from wanting to is enough reason not to.

The only park who's relationship with the community is more wtf than Alton is Busch Williamsburg. That park treats their fan base with a no tolerance policy where they've lost rights like invitations to special events and such because they refused to stop posting secret stuff. That's kind of a big deal with a park like Busch who do so many special events where enthusiast groups are invited to do cool things. Alton don't do anything for the community, so they don't have that kind of power. There will always be fan groups who want to comply, be friendly and false, and those who are objective. It was especially wtf when they made no attempt to hide Verbolten's secret element from view, then penalised the sites who reported on it...

I think it's all somewhat ridiculous, and the marketing team at Alton are massively missing the point and benefits of utilising the communities. I appreciate that Alton, of all he parks in the world, probably gets the most **** from the park-specific fan forums. It's actually disgusting, but I kind of feel like they should be using the fanbase to their advantage, not making an awkward relationship. Alton's determination to keep things secret in this age is weird. It's impossible to do and they must know it, yet every time they seem shocked the secret got out. They go on pretending it's still a secret up until they weirdly announce it in such a dull way there was no reason to hide it to begin with. When you look at the way other parks do things, like Liseberg or Cedar Point or Dollywood, who openly encourage fan involvement with the development of their rides despite the fact that their fan bases have LESS chance of finding out secrets than somewhere like Alton, it makes me just question what the hell is Alton doing, and why.

Jordan and I need to put together an article on utilising the enthusiast community in theme park marketing. It would be awesome.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

There were some pretty tall screened fences for Verbolten's construction. To take pictures over them, you'd have to stand on top of railings and hold the cameras way overhead.

Obviously people did just that.

ANYWAYS.

The picture that's been posted of the 'knot' is FAB.

Walking through X-sector while this thing is dueling practically overhead is going to be pretty awesome.

nadroJ

CF Legend

Joey said:
Jordan and I need to put together an article on utilising the enthusiast community in theme park marketing. It would be awesome.
When I have time off of Uni again I'd love to <3

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

marc said:
Alton Towers are meant to have said they don't know if the coaster will be ready at the start of the season.

I've been thinking about this and... I don't think it matters other than "professional pride"... Or rather "enthusiasts slagging them off for not getting it ready in time despite not knowing the reasons".

I've been to Alton's opening day (ride opening day) every year now since 2005 and Rita. While the new rides get busy, it's usually due to natural gravitation towards the ride and the typical opening day teething troubles.

The park is never particularly more busy on a new ride opening day (13 is a good example), than for opening day of Mutiny Bay, or last year's SubPar and Ice Age.

I just don't think that other than fans, a new ride attracts many people on opening weekend - simply because Alton is so out of the way and such a "planned" destination.

I'm not saying opening days are dead, but they're not really busy, and the park doesn't start to get busy at all until Easter weekend, then it dies off again until the summer.

All Alton need to do is to announce an opening date for the ride and then open the park around it. It really isn't a major problem as long as they are very clear about the ride opening date and hit THAT deadline.

Have they publicly announced an official opening date for the ride? Hell, they haven't even announced an official name yet!

bob_3_

Giga Poster

More adverts in East London and Leeds!

2013-01-14142051_zps52451035.jpg

545081_10151251590183380_964850560_n.jpg

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

If they actually call it that, I will have to kill somebody!

Looks fantastic though, such a brilliant bit of design.

Lofty

CF Legend

Staffordshire Knot? What a **** ridiculous name. Enthusiasts <//3

Lottie.

Mega Poster

It's great to see that they have completed the Staffs knot element. Visually it looks amazing and I can't wait to see how the rest of the ride will look!

I honestly just want the ride, theming etc. to be completed whenever it's ready rather than have a rushed job for the 16th March.

Using Tapatalk...

nealbie

CF Legend

A 'Staffordshire Knot' sounds like something an (especially) uncultured Midlander would call a 'Chinese Burn'...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

The Staffordshire Knot is the heraldic symbol of Lord Stafford, the Duke of Buckingham and the sigil of Stafford/shire.

Hence to "Eugh" of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.