What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kebab

Giga Poster
Re: Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1st

I remember the construction of Saw: The Ride being ridiculously quick, I'm sure it only took 3 days to finish the track after the indoor section was complete. If this is the case with SW7 (which with the complexity of the layout and interaction with the station/indoor segments), then I think they'll finish the basic building structure before anything else. I don't get why people are making such a big deal about the possibility of a delay, I don't think the GP will be that dis-heartened, besides there's not even a definite date for it's opening.

The thing I love about this construction, is that no matter how long I've been following and how many times I've seen the plans, I still don't have a clue what the finished product will be. The layout really baffles me, it's just so twisted and claustrophobic in that little space, it actually reminds me of how Nemesis knots around itself giving it that consistant intensity, without a single a breather from start to finish.

This is the first coaster at Alton since AIR that I actually have high hopes for, it probably won't be as good as the classic 3, but it's certainly a step back-up.

Rita, whilst a generally thrilling ride, doesn't have that 'umph' that Nemesis, Oblivion and AIR have, to me it feels dull and generic, with no underlying theme or feel that stands out, and the layout is equally as under-whelming.

Th13teen was a marketing disaster, it even had the most faithful of AT fanboys feeling ripped-off (A Psycoaster? what?). The theme/storyline doesn't make any logical sense, let alone it doesn't match up to the experience of the coaster itself (a tame, family coaster). I find Th13teens layout the weakest out of the lot... As you're cresting the lift hill, you're welcomed to a lovely trim that kills off any decent airtime, and then you're simply left meandering around pointlessly until you reach the indoor segment. The whole drop/backwards section, just feels gimmicky and pretentious, you're left with a 15 foot jolt, and a tribute to X://NWO.

Ranting aside (that was from a personal POV, we all have different opinions), I love Sub-Terra, and I know its not a coaster but it's gave me slight hope for SW7. I think Alton Towers have made the right decision, hopefully they've looked on what makes Nemesis and Oblivion such exciting and popular thrill machines, and brought inspiration for SW7. It's not only a big step for Alton Towers, but for Gerstlauer, a quick-growing manufactuerer bringing something big to Alton Towers' pallette. Whatever the outcome, I'm intrigued to try it out!

Martyn B

CF Legend

This very well may have overtaken Maverick's Construction Discussion in page count

Not quite.... that still holds the record for the biggest constructino thread. Can't remember exact amount of pages, but it was definitely 250+.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Martyn B said:
This very well may have overtaken Maverick's Construction Discussion in page count

Not quite.... that still holds the record for the biggest constructino thread. Can't remember exact amount of pages, but it was definitely 250+.
There's still a few months until opening... ;)

the king

Mega Poster

There has been news of a Alton towers advert being shown on TV. But there hasn't been any news whether the advert is about SW7. Alton have retweeted comments of it on their Twitter page so at least it is something they want people to know.

https://twitter.com/altontowers

P.S. There is no video through the link, just retweeted comments.

Also someone on TT called jlittlewood, found a image of a app for SW7. Here are some screenshots of it.

closeup_sw7_zps61d9d74c.jpg

sw7_app_que_line_fearmonitor_zpse76c0c7b.jpg

sw7_app_que_line_splashscreen_zpsf69958bb.jpg

app_advert_zpsd691789c.jpg

The website of the creator.

http://www.jakdempseydesign.co.uk/

Location of images.

http://dribbble.com/jd_design_uk

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

Perhaps the video was this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8ANPbKPt2Y[/youtube]

Which, although evocative of skill, which I doubt is official due to the usage of the Nolimits recreation and equally, the account it was uploaded on. Seems pretty good though....

I believe the uploader is a CF member due to his inclusion of a Cf (Live?) Video in his uploads.

Lofty

CF Legend

^ Due to the fact it's been uploaded by a member of this forum, no, it's not official...

RobJackson85

Roller Poster

I reckon the video is fan made. No way would that be shown pre-watershed, so pretty pointless.

The app could be real, I remember having a BPM monitor app a while back and it was surprisingly accurate.

Posting on the go via Tapatalk.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

*facepalm* And the camera on the back of the iPhone reads a pulse how exactly?

And yes, Ollie made that video. Very clever idea, he knows people are desperate for SW7 footage, so cobble together a crappy video, upload it and watch the revenue come in. Genius.

If you haven't noticed, I'm slightly irritated by the **** surrounding this ride (but not the ride itself). I hope that by the time it opens, I'll be so wound up by all the pointless stuff that Alton Towers could put a Reverchon Spinning Mouse there and I'd just be so grateful to ride it that I'd love it!

scw55

Hyper Poster

Also the music is by Apocalyptica a Finnish Cello 3-Piece band who did Hall of the Mountain King.
Good choice of music mind you.
Also the end of the advert is the same as that fake advert released a week or so ago.

RobJackson85

Roller Poster

Ian said:

Make of it what you will, I too was sceptical so downloaded an app and gave it a go.

8u2ana2e.jpg

Try for yourself if you want. Obviously not 100% accurate but virtually there.

iblamefish

Roller Poster

I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for the real ad on TV!

Ian said:

The same way that they measure it in hospital. The flashlight lights up your finger and the camera can pick up tiny fluctuations in colour due to the capillaries opening with each heartbeat. Weird I know, but it works.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

The ending part of the video is really neat.

And those heartrate monitors which use the phone camera are surprisingly accurate. Or, at least, they pick up changes. They seem to know when I'm at rest or when I've run about the house like mad to test their accuracy. I've no idea how.

nadroJ

CF Legend

I really like all the #getcorrected hype. Apart from the stupid kiddie competition to design a coaster, they're pretty on the ball with their campaign for SW7 I'd say.

I quite like Ollie's video too.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

I'm disappointed in you guys! I thought this would be well over 200 pages by now.

Bunch of slackers.

;)

tomahawk

Strata Poster

I find it so odd that Merlin waits so long to announce the names of new attractions.

elephant58

Hyper Poster

They released the name for Swarm in August 2011. When do you think they will release the name for this?

scw55

Hyper Poster

Chances are it's been in plain sight all along. And I don't mean the smiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.