What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Re: Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1st

That's not the whole station building, if you follow the concrete on the left hand side of that metal shell up to the top wall, that looks to be where the covered section will at least be. There's already track in place there...

I *think* that's the transfer track/maintenance area.

sparky2u

Mega Poster

Hope SW7 will be open by the end of March as i'm going there. Are the front & back seats on "13" any good (airtime..?)

Nic

Strata Poster

^Not true entirely. Yes, the front is dreadful, but the back seat, whilst not graoundbreaking, is a fun experience.

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster

^Add to that, I do believe they did some work on the trims last year, and the ride is now running marginally better than before. It's still a tad dull, though.

spicy

Giga Poster

I've never known a coaster to be so improved by the darkness of night though.

The outdoor section is pretty dull. But at night it just seems to come alive, going through the woods with the freezing cold air hitting you at night is awesome.

Back on topic.. Delays...

Taxi

Mega Poster

spicy said:
I've never known a coaster to be so improved by the darkness of night though.

The outdoor section is pretty dull. But at night it just seems to come alive, going through the woods with the freezing cold air hitting you at night is awesome.

Back on topic.. Delays...

Beast @ Kings Island is much better at night. Probably due to the fact that:
1. Your in the middle of the woods
2. Its a wooden/rattling coaster
3. You can see the person in front of you.

It is a very unique experience.

Swat

Hyper Poster

This was posted over on TT:

Here is a different overlay using Boz's (amazing) creation and the last aerial image.

The first one is so you can see through to what has been done and what it will look like:
SW7Overlay_zps817a4616.jpg

This one is what it will look like all filled in properly:
SW7Overlay1_zps7fa7c7f5.jpg

Aerial photo: Towerstimes
SW7 Recreation: Boz (Towerstimes Team Member)
Overlay: Rollercoasters4Life

Looks brilliant.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

So is this opening on time?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

;) :lol:

I don't think you quite get the scale of the thing from those photos, but it's actually really taking up a large area. Okay, it's small compared to most European or US installations, but it's a hell of a size really - almost the same footprint as Oblivion.

spicy

Giga Poster

It's just a mass of track, I can't really think of another coaster like it.

You really can't tell where the beginning- middle- end is on this thing yet you can easily see the whole coaster.

Smithy

Strata Poster

Have we had any complaints from the Ropers' yet about this? Can only be a matter of time, surely

the king

Mega Poster

News from Towersstreet.

'TowersStreet are of the belief that recent employee newsletters at the Alton Towers Resort have revealed extremely exciting developments set to begin very shortly in X Sector, alongside the opening of the resort’s new rollercoaster – SW7.

In the next few days, a full track repaint will begin on Oblivion, something which many members of the enthusiast community have been longing for for a good few years; the task of painting the ride will be a 6 week job. It is believed the track will be painted the same colour as SW7, in order for both rides to complement each other, and that a higher quality paint will be used in order to give the colour more durability. In addition, other elements of the ride including the shuttles, harnesses, and buildings – all of which are in need of some attention – are thought to being improved over the closed season.

On top of this, it is believed that plans are in the process of being confirmed for a spruce-up of the general X Sector area, in order to make it look impressive as the home of a new attraction. The area’s dated toilet blocks, over which SW7 will pass, are thought to be marked for a revamp.

The other significant piece of news which TowersStreet are delighted to announce is that the Resort’s popular new scare maze, The Sanctuary, will be returning for the start of the 2013 season. Believed to have a plot strongly linked to SW7′s, the attractions should work well side-by-side, as well as the maze acting as a promotion for the ride in the event of its delayed opening. It is currently unknown for how many weeks the maze will run.

TowersStreet are extremely excited at this news, and look forward to bringing you the latest updates on our dedicated SW7 minisite. Meanwhile, discuss these developments over on our lively TowersStreet Talk forums!'

Link: http://www.towersstreet.com/news/2013/x ... to-return/

Very exciting stuff and it should be great to see oblivion in a better state than it was before.

marc

CF Legend

Hope this snow that's expected does not delay anything.

Tbh I think it was obvious that the area would be done up.

As for the maze I think it's a good idea as they can help control the number of people going to the coaster by saying you should do the maze first which is a trick they missed with nemesis sub.

Martyn B

CF Legend

Tbh I think it was obvious that the area would be done up.

Too right. It would have been stupid of them to leave X-Sector in the bad way it was, with a brand new major attraction opening. Sorting that area out has been on my wish list for ages, so I am pleased.

And this maze.... it's going to be a temporary horror maze for the opening of the coaster? Random...

Lofty

CF Legend

It's not all that random really, it is the basis of the theme of the Coaster itself.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

Which is what exactly? A creepy looking smiley face? They haven't exactly given much regarding theme other than, what is it, Minister of Joy?

Lofty

CF Legend

If you didn't follow Scarefest or the story behind The Sanctuary, a story isn't actually all that obvious.

“Is life a burden? Are things getting you down? Lost your Smile? Then check yourself in for a refreshing check up at The Sanctuary. The Ministry of Joy will launch its next revolutionary project in March 2013. After being closed for new patients for almost 50 years The Sanctuary, The Ministry of Joy’s earliest establishment, is now holding important trials searching for ‘Advocates’ for its 2013 project. So please, book your appointment, get yourself comfortable as the Doctor will see you now.”

Basically, it was about a "Surgery" in which they believe smiling is a cure to sadness and everyone should constantly be smiling, in basic form. So throughout, you saw people in oral gags etc, and people who've been operated on. Now, we know for a fact that this was linked in with SW7 100%.

So reopening Sanctuary up for the opening of the coaster DOES make sense as a kind of tie-in with the coaster. Alton have been toying with the idea for quite some time about adding a permanent Scare Attraction to their line-up, the closest they have got was adding the ending to Sub-Terra, and that's seemed to settle it. At one time, they were discussing adding a "Dungeons" attraction into the ruins themselves, I kid you not. The entertainment team were discussing the possibilities back in 2009-2010 about this. Sanctuary was the only attraction that wasn't taken down after Scarefest finished, so it seems that it was planned all along as a promotional piece of material for the ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.