What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nic

Strata Poster
Re: Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown (Gestlauer?) World's 1st

I thought that The Swarm was £20m worth? In which case, how come they're claiming that £18m is the most they've spent on a coaster?

BTW, Saw was apparently £13.5m. I know that SW7 involves excavation, but both the Thorpe coasters are built on reclaimed land. I don't know if the total costs that are quoted included the cost of creating the land? Also, I don't know how much of the cost of Saw went to Lionsgate?

peep

CF Legend

Saw's budget was 13.5 mill according to Wiki and I think that budget including some of the land moving and the IP deal? With this being a fair amount more with less land moving and no IP I'm intrigued.

_koppen

Hyper Poster

So this thing can't cost £18 million just because it's a Gerstlauer?

peep

CF Legend

^Well it could, but it just seems like a lot in comparison.

To be honest if it is Gerst I don't have a problem with that because I quite like their coasters, I don't find the bump on Saw to be that bad and I find most of them to be quite fun but I don't see them as a big 'expensive' coaster like Alton are trying to make this one sound.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

If there is a coaster-god, we'll get the lap bar Gerstlauer cars...

And it'll ride like Fluch... Or any of the Eurofighters that aren't Saw, because it's truly the worst one... It's so weird...

Meh, nothing greatly exciting or surprising really...

Smithy

Strata Poster

I didn't experience this shuffling/juddering people are talking about on Saw, is it a back seat thing or just all over? My only issue with it was it was stupidly painful after the MCBR as it didn't slow down into that last section and threw you about a bit too much for my liking. The rest of the ride was fine.

peep

CF Legend

^It's mainly felt in the front at the bottom of the drop, but yeah, I don't get the feeling from it so much it hurts or gives me a headache like everyone else seems to proclaim. Maybe we're special because we're not as affected by it?

Gazza

Giga Poster

peep said:
^Well it could , but it just seems like a lot in comparison

Takabisha was 3 Bil JPY (23 mil GBP / 37 mil AUD / 38 mil USD) yet it has a shorter track length than this one.

Yes it was built in Japan so Earthquakes and yada yada yada, but SW7 has earthworks and proper theming and this supposed front loader washing machine element etc also pushing things up.

I think it sounds about right.

Smithy

Strata Poster

peep said:
^It's mainly felt in the front at the bottom of the drop, but yeah, I don't get the feeling from it so much it hurts or gives me a headache like everyone else seems to proclaim. Maybe we're special because we're not as affected by it?

Well if that's the case then at least it bodes well for this ride.

Watched a few POV's and you can see a bit of a shuffle from the first drop through to the hill but nothing too severe. Must be different on a car by car basis.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

marc said:
It's very hard to explain what I mean tbh. Yes I'm pleased there getting something, I'm just not happy it's this.

Exactly. I'm really excited about a dreadful ride. It's a fantastic contradiction Alton have managed to create :lol:

peep said:

Speed does this to me, but my one and only ride on Saw was absolutely fine. I was sitting in the front and if anyone is going to get hurt buy a coaster - it's me. I enjoyed the ride with zero pain, but I'm never going to risk going on it again in case it breaks me :lol:

Gazza said:
peep said:
^Well it could , but it just seems like a lot in comparison

Takabisha was 3 Bil JPY (23 mil GBP / 37 mil AUD / 38 mil USD) yet it has a shorter track length than this one.

Yes it was built in Japan so Earthquakes and yada yada yada, but SW7 has earthworks and proper theming and this supposed front loader washing machine element etc also pushing things up.

I think it sounds about right.

Exactly. The secret bit is likely to be pushing the cost up. This is also the most Alton have spent isn't it? Not Merlin?

Reading the reviews of The Sanctuary maze which is supposed to be a prequel to the ride, here's what I think.

I think it's going to be an alien invasion kind of thing, where the aliens are doing experiments to people to change them. I assume the secret bit will be like a giant MRI machine that spins you around (with flashing strips of light, just for Joey ;) ) and allegedly alters your DNA before sending you off on a drying cycle (or something).

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

It seems plausible to me. Saw was £13.5M...but this has a longer layout, more inversions, plus the secret bit

Nic

Strata Poster

furie said:
This is also the most Alton have spent isn't it? Not Merlin?

True, however...

That news article said:
THE latest 'iconic' ride being built at Alton Towers is costing £18 million.

It is the biggest single investment on a ride at any Merlin Entertainments-owned tourist attraction in the UK
Which is why it was mentioned in the first place. I've still not found anything to suggest Swarm was less than £20m

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Hmmmm...
All the other news articles said:
They have revealed that the £18 million ride is the Staffordshire resorts biggest ever investment.

Hence why I was confused ;)

I suspect that the one news report that differs has got it wrong :p

Just checked the source:
Original article also said:
Project designer Ben Dowson, who works for Merlin Magic Makers, said: "This ride is the largest investment ever put in to Alton Towers.

The article was written by from Staffordshire, so what did you really expect? ;)

So, it's the largest investment ever put in to Alton Towers. Can we please put to bed the arguments about costs compared to Swarm now? :p

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

The cost of it, if anything, seems cheap to me. £18mill isn't a lot for something of that length... Two lifthills? And trick track? It's cheap.

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster

As pointed out to me earlier:

Next year we are busy doing more classics like hybrid coaster trains and Bobsled Coasters, but also some more firsts, such as our newly-designed 8-passenger launch vehicles.” - Gertslauer

Full article here.

Interesting to say the least.

Dar

Hyper Poster

In March 2013, the Alton Towers Resort will launch its biggest ever ride. The first of its kind in the world, the rollercoaster will be the biggest ever investment for a ride at the Resort.

Whilst many of the details are still a closely guarded secret, here are a few exclusive facts about the ride, codenamed Secret Weapon 7!

Highest drop – 30m

Maximum speed – approx 85km/hr which is 10km/hr faster than Air

Track length – 1,170m. This is 3x the length of Oblivion

Ride time – 165 seconds which is 3x the ride time of Rita

Passengers per ride train – 16 (4x rows of 4)

Minimum rider height – 1.4m

Location – X Sector, on the site of the old Black Hole ride

Investment for the Resort - £18m

Opening date – 16th March 2013

Just seen this on the Alton Towers press page. Nice to have non-standard cars confirmed!

the king

Mega Poster

4 by 4? Interesting. But I hope it doesn't look like 2 eurofighter cars stuck together. That would look very strange.

RobJackson85

Roller Poster

Does this also mean that the car type could be a worlds first aswell?

This post was brought to you either by Tapatalk or some random Internet gremlin.

marc

CF Legend

Interesting about the trains, but different style trains don't make a coaster a worlds 1st a new type of coaster does.

Maybe the new design trains will make a Eurofighter better and get rid of the things people don't like about them.

Another company already has these type of trains anyway.

I wish they would just announce who's making the bloody thing lol.

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster

Dar said:
In March 2013, the Alton Towers Resort will launch its biggest ever ride. The first of its kind in the world, the rollercoaster will be the biggest ever investment for a ride at the Resort.

Whilst many of the details are still a closely guarded secret, here are a few exclusive facts about the ride, codenamed Secret Weapon 7!

Highest drop – 30m

Maximum speed – approx 85km/hr which is 10km/hr faster than Air

Track length – 1,170m. This is 3x the length of Oblivion

Ride time – 165 seconds which is 3x the ride time of Rita

Passengers per ride train – 16 (4x rows of 4)

Minimum rider height – 1.4m

Location – X Sector, on the site of the old Black Hole ride

Investment for the Resort - £18m

Opening date – 16th March 2013

Just seen this on the Alton Towers press page. Nice to have non-standard cars confirmed!

I'd completely forgotten about this, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.