What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicky

Hyper Poster
Re: New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

If its a Eurofighter I still have some faith in it. I've been on Fluch and that is amazing giving me no problems. A nice Eurofighter is possible, it isn't going to be automatically like Saw.

Really excited about this now.

Nic

Strata Poster

bob_3_ said:
I originally wondered about some kind of duelling element, but then dismissed it. No idea what you mean by "omnibus" though.
Not sure it's the right word. But What I mean is, unlike say..Dragon Challenge where there's two seperate tracks, it'll be one long track. As the first car starts the second lift, the second starts the first lift. Then they'll reach the top at the same time and the second would complete the first section while the first car completes the second section.
Ohhhhhhh, like a moebius type thing? I did also wonder that when I first saw the plans, but I can't really see the point if you're only duelling another car for half the track. Unless you start and finish in the station at the same time, would anyone even notice?

coasterdude_1

Mega Poster

Guys, it's been touched on but this is clearly a duelling coaster (a la Dragons challenge, with the exception that it's Mobius). I mean, seriously, the inversions are clearly designed to interlock (especially the wicked looking cobra roll batwing..)

It looks intamin Blitz- the first lift could be LSM with the second a launch into the vertical rise (or just a vertical lift)

But here, on the worlds first side, theyll clearly be leveraging off the duelling thing- it's so clearly obvious. Worlds first dueling launched coaster (is this a first?)

Either way, I don't think ANYONE expected this. It just looks so much better than we've come to expect from UK theme parks....

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Nic said:
Ohhhhhhh, like a moebius type thing? I did also wonder that when I first saw the plans, but I can't really see the point if you're only duelling another car for half the track. Unless you start and finish in the station at the same time, would anyone even notice?

It's still look cool for a short while :)

Nicky said:
If its a Eurofighter I still have some faith in it. I've been on Fluch and that is amazing giving me no problems. A nice Eurofighter is possible, it isn't going to be automatically like Saw.

Really excited about this now.

To be honest, I doubt I'll care for the ride in the slightest. How it rides though is much less important (in this instance) than what they've got away with. A multi-looper at Alton? Never, and surely not there?

It proves that they are still trying to think out of the box in terms of pushing boundaries and giving guests something new. We know we're never going to get a megalite or B&M Hyper over here, so what we want is something more than just another spinning wild mouse or something and that's what they're giving us. Sadly, I doubt we'll be satisfied as enthusiasts as far as the ride quality goes, but in terms of what it means for development (and there are still at least 2-3 potential coaster sites left at Alton for something else this may give promise to), it's important and exciting :)

It's NOT a Möbius coaster, there's only one track in and one track out of the station. You can see where the first half leads into the second vertical lift. It may "duel" for a short while, but not as a Möbius.

Peter

Hyper Poster

Nic said:
I know it could be ballbags, but...

The Noise Report said:
Noise from the planned new coaster was modelled based on a similar one located at Thorpe Park. The Thorpe Park ride, “Saw” is the same type and manufacturer as the proposed ride, including a “beyond vertical” drop.

Therefore, as much as it pains me, I think we have to assume this is a Eurofighter. I'm going for a Takabisha style Drop & Launch type thing.

I definatly remember Thirteen's planning permission comparing the noise to X:\No Way Out - yet we ended up with Intamin rather than Vekoma, albeit similar ride types. X:\ is the only other ride type similar to Thirteen that Merlin own so its was logical to take the noise recordings from there.

I think we can expect to see the same here. If this is the case, expect to see something similar, not necessarily the same, to a eurofighter. As Spicy said, I can also see this being a Maurer X-Car, especially since support work is identical to that which we've seen from previous Maurer rides (HRRR.) A X-Car is also similar to a eurofighter (small, lightweight, manouverable trains) which fits the comparison to Saw for sound tests.

I think hoping for an Intamin is a little optimistic given the compact tight layout, which is much more suited to the likes of an X-Car or Eurofighter.

As for capacity, Thorpe manage fine with a Eurofighter due to dual loading, lots of block segments e.t.c. There is no reason why Alton can't do the same.

Either way looks pretty awesome.

Treeis

Mega Poster

Couldn't it be the best of both worlds and be something similar to Lynet at Farup Sommerland?

jokerman

Giga Poster

Well based on my experience, albeit limited, I'd much rather it were a Eurofighter than X-Car.

I have to say, it does look like a pretty damn good layout. I might actually pay attention to this developing, unlike most other things recently.

bob_3_

Giga Poster

Maybe it's a new vekoma..

battlestar-galactica-sci-fi-city.jpg

aliman

Mega Poster

on news page is says 195 metres? isn't that 600 foot high or so!?!?! :)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

aliman said:

We're using Pleasure Beach Blackpool's measuring system ;)

Ollie

CF Legend

Tom G said:
According to a source in The Sun, this will be the world's first inverting ride without restraints.
alton16.jpg

Stonster

Roller Poster

I really was not expecting this! I dont think ive ever been this excited for a new ride before. This has the potential to be one of the most significant coasters installed in the uk for over a decade

aliman said:

That 195 metre height will more than likely be from sea level as that is the standard benchmark. And i really cant see them getting such an important figure wrong!

aliman

Mega Poster

furie said:
aliman said:

We're using Pleasure Beach Blackpool's measuring system ;)

Oh yeh, never thought of it like that before :)

Intimidator 305

Roller Poster

WOW 195m high break a new world high record and 14 inversions and the wirlds first rotating seats this is the european Takabisha Ride

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

nealbie said:
FLUCH VON BLACKHOLETENT!

Hmmmm if it's ANYTHING like Fluch then this will be amazing... But it's more like Fuji-Q's thing than that... Or Saw for that matter...

Not sure on it atm, hard to tell anything from the plans that will conclusively (to me at least) say whether or not it will be good or awful...

Venom2053

Hyper Poster

The element/elements beside the station are nuts :O What would they call it? A interlocking cobra roll (not really but close) with 2 inclined loops ? That's probably what they meant by a "world's first."

costar

Mega Poster

People, can we do something about the CF home page? Don't get me wrong, it's great they we've got the news up first (well before screamscape, etc. anyway) but I think we could be a little more careful with the reporting. We have just about shaken off the "CoasterFarce" label now, I don't want it coming back.

"Alton Towers plans a Eurofighter!" - this is pure speculation isn't it? I think Maurer is equally likely at this stage. Personally I would doubt Intamin though. I think Alton weren't happy about the enforced mods on Rita and they definitely don't enjoy the "performance issues" on Th13teen.

The 195m thing also reads bad. Nobody talks about coaster heights in terms of ordnance datum so either pick the actual ride height off the drawings or say nothing.

Saying it "features a vertical drop" is also highly likely to be wrong. Assuming the straight 45 degree track is a lift hill, the vertical track will be taken upwards, not downwards. This stands to reason as the 'pull out' (if it was a drop) is far too tight for me. I'm wondering if it might be a launch section... 'World's First Vertical Launch' anyone...? (yes I know there's probably some old Premier ride with a vertical launch out there already but they were around when Oblivion was the world's first vertical drop so it's never stopped Alton before).

Anyway, that's just speculation not fact. There's an important difference which seems to have been forgotten on the CF homepage at the moment...

Status
Not open for further replies.