What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Re: New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

Are people not still clinging to that comment Ian made about Candy and Co. speaking with Vekoma at EAS? Because if so, sigh. It means nothing.

I can't see it being Vekoma just because that doesn't seem their style. There's no good reason why it wouldn't be though and I honestly wouldn't rule anything out. It depends where this coaster is and what it's going to do, because if for example they need to dig or it's indoors, it might be a cheaper ride system to compensate.

Which is another reason I recon it's a launching coaster, really. Because I think it's more likely than them digging or doing another partially indoors coaster.

T0M

Hyper Poster

Wardley said it'd be as rough as a badger's arse and stink of Edam, so one can assume what he was referring to.

Gazza

Giga Poster

roomraider said:
Although I agree that Vekoma are some way behind Intamin and B&M i wouldn't say Gravity Max is the only thrill ride worth its salt. Vekoma do have their hidden gems out there such as Expedition Everest which is by no means a bad ride.

I'm not saying I want a Vekoma, Just that they are capable on occasion of delivering :p
I've heard that Battlestar is pretty solid too, aside from losing a seat.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

So we have three thrill rides out of the entire world's Vekoma installations that are both viewed as reliable and decent?

It does kind of prove the point really doesn't it? And surely Everest is a fancy mine train?

Martyn B

CF Legend

^ Boomerangs, and there's how many of them?!

Though itc quite clear from Tom's comment above, this whole Vekoma thing was just a wind up (for some reason...).

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

Martyn B said:

furie said:
So we have three thrill rides out of the entire world's Vekoma installations that are both viewed as reliable and decent?

Boomerangs definitely do not fulfill those specs...

Yeah, dunno why we're still discussing Vekoma... The winter months discussions are certainly settling in earlier than usual...

marc

CF Legend
New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

Without a heavy theme Everest would be rubbish, even with a theme it's not that good.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016

I think it will be the world's first winged flying coaster. You will get to the top of the lift and the seats will tilt 90 degrees forward into a flying position for the rest of the ride. Imagine a ride like that that flies through the X-Sector area. Wouldn't that be cool?

Ben

CF Legend

^Um, Alton has a Flying Coaster...

And what would be the point of having a winged Flying Coaster? You're away from the track you can't see anyway? Wow, that sounds like it'd be exactly the same as a normal one.

coasterdude_1

Mega Poster

C'mon guys, isn't it clear what AT will get in 2013?

On a continuation of their short fall drop obsession, they're going to mount a frog hopper on a track, hype it up as something ABSOLUTELY TERRIFYING, and we're all going to turn up on opening day to ride a frog hopper round the old beastie layout.

AJ

Giga Poster

^ What?

I'm not very excited for this, Thirteen's put me off getting excited for worlds firsts now <//3

TP Rich

Hyper Poster

^ I think that was his attempt at humour. In other news, I read "What?" at the same time they said it on I'm a Celeb. :O

I think with the last few years of barely any major investment, we'll probably be getting something good in 2013.

oriolat2

Giga Poster

What about the Pandora Box concept that Vekoma posted on their website a while ago? It's an indoor ride and absolutely innovative. The only category that this wild guess doesn't tick is being a coaster.

Ben

CF Legend

What they're getting in 2012 is basically a ghetto, knock-off Pandora Box(x), so I doubt it. A lot.

T0M

Hyper Poster

Martyn B said:

Though itc quite clear from Tom's comment above, this whole Vekoma thing was just a wind up (for some reason...).

Someone is on/has remembered my wavelength. I know (in general) how badly Vekoma are viewed here, so it was a mere humorous interjection. Alas, he said no such thing (that I'm aware of). I do think it is time they were given a chance to innovate and work with Merlin. I can't be bothered by another forceless B&M, and I doubt they'd go for another accelerator.

What stage is this likely to be at now? Will the final design and location have been finalised by now with plans coming imminently?

Lofty

CF Legend

oriolat2 said:
What about the Pandora Box concept that Vekoma posted on their website a while ago? It's an indoor ride and absolutely innovative. The only category that this wild guess doesn't tick is being a coaster.

Yeah, from what sources tell a few people on the forum, in different scenarios and various times (not the same sources). It's going to be kind of like one of them. Alton won't FORK out that much money on one of them beasts. Isn't their one planned for Efteling that keeps getting put back?!

Tom G said:
I can't be bothered by another forceless B&M

What?! Where do you get frikin forceless from!!!! B&M are not by any stretch 'forceless' smooth yes, smooth g transitions yes but its very rich saying they are forceless...

marc

CF Legend
New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

Some have been forceless though I can think of a good few so Tom is right. But they do seem to be moving away from this and building more intense coasters again, I think they had a wake up call.

Status
Not open for further replies.