What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

Didn't take long for one of those videos to be made lol.

It sucks, but **** happens. At least they gave a warning. Everyone could have shown up tomorrow and it was just closed with now warning, that would have been much much worse.

Wonder if someone who works at Alton Towers has watched the above video, it's quite funny..

Anyone know if "Fast track" tickets will be onsale as i'm visiting on the 20th June and dont' want to Q for 2-3 hours for "Smiler".

tomahawKSU said:
Didn't take long for one of those videos to be made lol.

It sucks, but **** happens. At least they gave a warning. Everyone could have shown up tomorrow and it was just closed with now warning, that would have been much much worse.
I actually disagree.

Because, at least then, it could have been blamed on actual unforeseen "technical difficulties". How in the hell can something come up the day before? A lack of foresight.

This is way worse than Saw, because at least Saw's opening day was in march.

Every "oh it's not their fault" or "oh it could be worse" comment makes me laugh. Why are people defending this? Yeah, **** happens, but this much **** doesn't happen unless someone **** up big time.

You've also got to remember that something clearly went seriously wrong with Chessington at the start of this season too. You can blame the weather, that's not actually been that bad, only so much.

Wonder if someone who works at Alton Towers has watched the above video, it's quite funny..
I hope they can laugh at themselves, because amongst the stress this whole event must be causing, it is hilarious whichever way you look at it.

I'm with you Joey.

Teething problems, as even they've named them, are different to technical issues. Technical issues can be (sometimes) solved immediately and can spring upfront nowhere. Teething issues have been known about since the first test runs and could have been sorted in the amount of time they had.

Informing people a DAY before they arrive that it's not going to be operating is ludicrous.

According to the front page of Tower's website, it won't open on the tomorrow either.

Due to unforeseen teething problems, The Smiler will not be open on 24th May. Click here for the latest information.

Surely someone must have known that there was no way this was going to be ready by today before yesterdays announcement?!

They should have announced a revised opening date a long time ago! Poor from AT.

Tbh it was the same with 13, that only got signed off the day before.

Well at least both Smiler and Back Hole have something in common now. Both shut due to H&S.

I've read that Disney imagineers have in the past worked 24hours straight to get things done on time for weeks prior to opening.

After seeing the site today there was no way it was going to be open.... They are still constructing fences for the start of the queue and throughout, and drilling in various places

Joey, you act like problems don't pop up. Should they have gotten things cleared (if it is H&S related that is) yes, that is inexcusable, but to act like since it first didn't open in March you are owed something is ridiculous. Look across the rest of the world. No where else really do attractions open in March, they are all typically end of May or early June. While March openings have been the recent norm, it's not like it's the end of the world if it doesn't open then.

Did someone die with it not opening in March? No. Ok good. Was it an inconvenience? Yes. Delaying it to the end of May puts it on par with the rest of the world. Don't forget from the first released designs to the final product, the layout changed completely. What, it added something like 8 inversions? Bit of a difference in terms of size of the ride.

Will you still eventually ride it? Will you eventually bitch about operations? Will you eventually say the ride is pretty ****? (General statements) Yes to all three? Ok so it isn't the end of the world.

If it were the case that you traveled abroad for the weekend and weren't planning on coming back for 5+ years, then i could see an issue, but then why would you opt to come on opening day of a ride that has had many delays? I understand it sucks that a ride isn't open and you can't go on it yet, but it's not like it won't be open for the next 5+ years. If this happened to me at a park I visit a lot would I be pissed? Hell yes, but I would understand that **** happens. You can't control some things, and if this was controllable, well the park just **** up then and there is nothing else to it. At least they are honoring changing of hotel dates and tickets and ****. Most parks wouldn't even do that.

I'm not going to get involved in the argument you're quite clearly trying to induce, but...

tomahawKSU said:
Don't forget from the first released designs to the final product, the layout changed completely. What, it added something like 8 inversions? Bit of a difference in terms of size of the ride.

I think if you look into it more, whilst it was suggested and mentioned by Towers that the layout changed, since the beginning of the planning process of the coaster, they've known the layout to be what it is now. This was stated in an Interview for the Children's TV show 'Blue Peter' here in the UK.

So I suggest, that before you start to railroad a CF member such as Joey, who actually has a more in depth knowledge of Theme Parks and entertainment than most on Here, you don't try and come across so forceful and such an arse. I'd expect that type of post from someone who doesn't know better, not a known member with over 2000 posts such as yourself.

^ Don't worry Mark, he's probably only 12 and yet to understand basic life skills...

Okay guys two things...

Firstly, can we stop being rude? Whilst tomahawksu is wrong :p and perhaps a tad condescending, he at no point was outright rude. So ease up, seriously.

Joey, you act like problems don't pop up
Oh problems definitely pop up! But an accumulation of problems do not "pop up". The fact that opening for opening day in March is a very British only thing is irrelevant. Had the ride been planned to open in May, but was then rescheduled for July, it would be the same criticism. Almost 3 month delay is a pretty big deal and also uncommon. What you've also got to remember is that, according to people on the ground, the site is far away from being ready to the naked eye... Let alone behind the scenes stuff like not being signed over, if that is true. Why then did they announce the 23rd as the opening date? They aren't a day or two away from opening, by the sounds of it.

This weekend is also a bank holiday followed by half term. The first time this thing potentially runs with the public will be to a huge gate figure. The practical implications of that are pretty intense. Staff ARE going to struggle, any new ride is a learning curve for everyone involved, and with potential capacity crowds comes long queues and angry guests putting even more pressure on stressed out staff.

Got to admit though, I don't understand all the fuss about opening day. Isn't it better to let the ride mature a couple of weeks till all the problems are ironed out and the ride runs fluantly?

sparky2u said:
Anyone know if "Fast track" tickets will be onsale as i'm visiting on the 20th June and dont' want to Q for 2-3 hours for "Smiler".
Don't believe anyone has answered this question yet, but I believe The Smiler is not opening with Fast track, and depending on when it does actually open, will probably depend if Fast track will be available for The Smiler. Personally I don't think fast track on The Smiler until August.

Coasterfreck said:
sparky2u said:
Don't believe anyone has answered this question yet, but I believe The Smiler is not opening with Fast track, and depending on when it does actually open, will probably depend if Fast track will be available for The Smiler. Personally I don't think fast track on The Smiler until August.
It was confirmed by Towers that The Smiler will open without fastrack and might not actually have it till next season. Like a lot of new attractions really. That's if it opens at all...

Since been told that there was a minor incident with the ride in the station whilst the HSE representatives were about signing the relevant stuff off...

Needless to say, that wasn't the best time for the ride system to conk out and cause a crash... This could be a be interesting...

Status
Not open for further replies.