What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

^ That last photo shows how bad that first drop is profiled....

Also, I'm too sure this is going to have a secret element now...

Lofty

CF Legend

^ I really don't think it is bad at all. It's similar to Baco's lake dive. Yes, Baco's is a lot larger and more spread out, but it follows a similar profile, it's just that The Smiler's has a harsher, tighter curvature.

portaventura-coaster-furius-baco-big.jpg

Martyn B

CF Legend

it's just that The Smiler's has a harsher, tighter curvature

But that's why it would become an issue. Bad profiling on tight elements is horrid!

Bentleya

Mega Poster

When you stand and watch Baco from the path where that photo was taken, you can see how much the train shakes and how violate it is.

I'm going to reserve my judgement on this an till i get to rid it, i'm a big fan of the Eurofighter with 2 being in my top 10.

Both Saw and Rage i have been on many times the last 2 years and each time, they both ride very different. I don't have any issues with rage, but i do have 2 with Saw and thats the violate thud you get when you come into the final brake line before entering the station and the sudden bend to right over the Airtime hill before the mid course brake run in the outdoor section.

Next time you are in the Que line for Saw, take a moment to watch a few of the cars to go though these sections. You will notice everyones head bounce side to side as they enter the brake run and when they hit the top of the airtime hill.

This is all down to made track profiling in my opinion.

Lofty

CF Legend

Bentleya said:
When you stand and watch Baco from the path where that photo was taken, you can see how much the train shakes and how violate it is.
That has nothing to do with profiling, and to do with the trains and the wear and tear they've had. I rode it within 2 months of it opening and it never did that. It's REALLY deteriorated with age in a violent way.

Next time you are in the Que line for Saw, take a moment to watch a few of the cars to go though these sections. You will notice everyones head bounce side to side as they enter the brake run and when they hit the top of the airtime hill.

This is all down to made track profiling in my opinion.
That's also not to do with profiling, that's transitions in the track and varying lateral forces that make you/your head move from side to side.

marc

CF Legend

I'm going to be hated as I do think it looks good, but it's very samey all the way through if you get what I mean.

All the inversions near enough look the same.

Still like the look of it though, just worried it could be a bit boring after a few goes.

Just hope you get what I mean.

Lofty

CF Legend

marc said:
I'm going to be hated as I do think it looks good, but it's very samey all the way through if you get what I mean.
Totally. It is extremely repetitive without a doubt. I hope that it feels different with each inversion though, I doubt it. But we can always hope ha. Could be worse, could be 4 inlines ;)

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

Funny that they started after the in-line twist in the trench.

Would you consider those corkscrews or zero-g rolls at the end? Because the sameness is probably related to going upside down a dozen times without a single vertical loop or typical corkscrew.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster

People always find something to complain about jeez.

Personally, I think hats off to em. They've fitted in 14 inversions, 2 lift hills and whatever the heck is going on behind that blanked out section in the space that was previously only occupied by the Black Hole.

They could have put a LOT less in the same place. But then you'd probably complain that the layout was too short.

Martyn B

CF Legend

It would be good if they have something going on just before the vertical lift, to keep us all entertained during the dead patch.

Lottie.

Mega Poster

Lofty said:
marc said:
Totally. It is extremely repetitive without a doubt. I hope that it feels different with each inversion though, I doubt it. But we can always hope ha. Could be worse, could be 4 inlines ;)

^This.

Hopefully this ride will be great no matter how many times you ride it, as it definitely looks amazing!

marc

CF Legend

Gone are the days when you can have a view on things :). If you read what I said I think it looks great.

I'm not complaining I think they have done a great job fitting all that in, I just thought from that video it looked samey that's all. It's not a complaint or anything like that, it's just how it looked.

Your not getting what I mean at all.

When on the ride with other trains going round it will feel totally different, just the video made it feel like that.

I'm also expecting something to happen before the 2nd lift hill, some effect etc.

Dar

Hyper Poster

Towerstimes released some more pictures that show that they weren't covering anything other than the extra roll under the station. :)

Lofty

CF Legend

^ We all kind of knew that anyway, it was the laughing stock of the whole topic from day one ;)

Dar

Hyper Poster

Oh yeah, I just like typing it and someone asked a little bit ago! :p

Can't wait to visit and see just how menacing this actually looks in person. :D

marc

CF Legend

It's going to be great to look at and watch, it's like most coasters in the park that you can get really close to then.

Alton coasters interact really well with pathways and crowds etc. really helps create an atmosphere even when not on it.

CJH21

Roller Poster

I am looking forward to this ride finally something to put Towers back on the map. Lots of inversions, much more to it than say Colossus. I think even without a secret element this ride will be be amazing . Really spread out. Would love lap bars but can see OTSR.

Status
Not open for further replies.