What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montario

Roller Poster
Re: Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1st

Someone please tell me how to differentiate Intamin's track from Gerstlauers...i'm blind to these type of things :roll: :p

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Gerstlauer track has flat bits on the tubing ;)

Martyn B

CF Legend

I just PRAY that they'll stick in one of them small vertical drops! Its the only decent bit on Saw.

nadroJ

CF Legend

^I have a feeling it'll be completely different in the style of layout we've seen from Gerst before, but I know what you mean, that mini-drop is delightful!

Rach

Giga Poster

I somehow managed to schedule a trip to the Towers on the day of the first delivery! I saw the post the track had arrived and was a little excited!

I'm actually really quite excited about this now after seeing the track and the logos everywhere!

Pretty sure there were at least 4 lorries delivering track this morning/afternoon but with a certain possibility of more.

Here's one of them waiting to move over to the unload site. Another had just gone over as we arrived. It's all being held in the staff car park before being moved onto the site.

22393_4409539753308_1813652025_n.jpg

Some of the track and supports on the ground.

560756_4409520472826_817885460_n.jpg

The construction site today, I certainly can't see it taking much longer for the vertical construction to begin!

525745_4409521992864_269951739_n.jpg

And finally, one very bad image from tonight showing a little more of the track on the site! My camera just wouldn't stay still, hands were far too cold!

578385_4409522512877_1161116717_n.jpg

Roll on 2013! :D

Idlewild

Mega Poster

That is pretty clearly gerstlauer track, you couldn't really tell in the photo from this morning,

Colossus

Giga Poster

I have been today also, I nearly crapped my pants as we drove past it on the exit of the car park.

Martyn B

CF Legend

Is there definitely some 'secret' element to this? I ask as the words "world beating" just makes it sound like they're building a really good coaster, as appose to the ususal "world's first" etc...

marc

CF Legend

As said elsewhere they cannot market the washing machine part as a worlds 1st as public have already tried it out in a video Mark posted. Yes it was not on a full circuit but it was a coaster train on a track.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Martyn B said:
Is there definitely some 'secret' element to this? I ask as the words "world beating" just makes it sound like they're building a really good coaster, as appose to the ususal "world's first" etc...

I've got it, it's a new Gerstlauer model, not a Eurofighter but.... A Worldfighter! ;)

It does just make me think that they're trying to encourage people from all over the world to come ont he ride and get bruised and battered by it. You come off and you're well and truly beaten ;)

Nic

Strata Poster

Are we really doing this again?!

Martyn B said:
I would agree with you, apart from the fact that they've now changed their tune:

AT Press Release said:
Alton Towers Resort to launch world first rollercoaster

In March 2013, the Alton Towers Resort will launch its biggest ever ride. The first of its kind in the world, the rollercoaster will be the biggest ever investment for a ride at the Resort.
http://press.altontowers.com/news-alton ... 2013-11705

nadroJ

CF Legend

^Yeah, I was going to say that. To be fair to Alton this time, at least we know this coaster isn't a one trick wonder.

Nic

Strata Poster

marc said:
As said elsewhere they cannot market the washing machine part as a worlds 1st as public have already tried it out in a video Mark posted. Yes it was not on a full circuit but it was a coaster train on a track.
Sorry to be a pain, but can I have the link again please? Just had a look and can't find it. This is the first I've heard of any of this and I'm really intrigued now.

spicy

Giga Poster

I doubt that video would stop them marketing it as a worlds first to be honest, people said the same thing about Thirteen saying that Winjas already had the drop element yet they still marketed that as a worlds first.

marc

CF Legend

Nic will get it for you later when I log on to a desk top. It's probably about 30 pages ago now lol.

Yes they could still market it as a worlds 1st it would just be us saying its not lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.