What's new

Alton Towers | Nemesis Reborn | B&M Retrack | 2024

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Thanks for clearing that up mate. Do you remember where it was confirmed or have a link or something? (no worries if not)

Believe it was confirmed that the old trains have been refurbished.

They're not refurbs, they are confirmed as new train chassis, built in France, with a 'small proportion of technical components' recycled from the old trains. This was officially confirmed last month / October.

You will have now seen our new-look Nemesis trains with their black and red design! Another milestone in the project development. The trains have travelled from France and since arriving on-site have been admired by the team. The new-look trains actually have a small proportion of recycled technical components from the former trains. So, for me, there’s something really special about this, as it means there will always be some of this original classic featured in the rebuild as we move forward. They look great and I cannot wait for them to thrill the next generation of coaster-lovers.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I know it’s not finished but that small helicopter looks pathetic

The Phalanx would have a large military helicopter to tackle Nemesis not some small flying hairdryer.
Almost looks like a Brantly B2... But the tail has been damaged.

In fact, to be precise it looks like what was apparently Michael Owen's 1970* Brantly B-2B, registration G-AWIO

FocSe4uWIAA4Cga.jpg

Here she is in a hanger at Birmingham Airport.

7748070242_07a82e486b_b.jpg

I wonder what happened to her tail section. 🤔

If it is, I think it was used by the US army, or at least evaluated for use as a light reconnaissance aircraft at one time.

(*Ad says 1970, previous registration with the CAA says 1968)

Last edited:

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Using old vehicles is a bit of a pet peeve of mine with Merlin theming, they have one for almost every attraction. Nemesis already has the bus and the Sub-Terra tank thing. I know they get ripped for the shipping containers but the vehicles are worse imo.

I am holding out for Nemesis (Reborn) to be good, but every choice along the way .. isn't what I woulda chose. They seem to be cheapening the ride quite a bit, right down to the new queue fencing.231221-1.jpg

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Using old vehicles is a bit of a pet peeve of mine with Merlin theming, they have one for almost every attraction. Nemesis already has the bus and the Sub-Terra tank thing. I know they get ripped for the shipping containers but the vehicles are worse imo.

I am holding out for Nemesis (Reborn) to be good, but every choice along the way .. isn't what I woulda chose. They seem to be cheapening the ride quite a bit, right down to the new queue fencing.View attachment 28868
I assume that is just in the areas where there is a risk to life if the fence is hopped. Hopefully keep the nice wooden fencing in other areas?

bob_3_

Giga Poster
I assume that is just in the areas where there is a risk to life if the fence is hopped. Hopefully keep the nice wooden fencing in other areas?
Yeah I thought that... but the fence on the other side of that queue doesn't go into a ride area and its still a 6ft prison fence. I've seen the same from aerial shots (that I can't seem to find). Non of the old wooden fencing is there anymore , which is understandable coz it was old, but I haven't seen any of it being replaced by wood so far so yeah... I'm expecting these 6ft fences everywhere.

ScottLann

Mega Poster
Personally I don't think wooden fences would fit in with the whole phalanx/military theme, however I do agree that these metal fences do look a bit plain and cheap.

I hope there's going to be some sort of themed walls or more foliage placed along the top part of the queue (just above where the loop is) as I can imagine you'll be able to look right into the car park from that point....which isn't very immersive :confused:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Prison Cell vibes, Towers don't like wooden fences generally so id be surprised
This makes no sense, Alton Towers has absolutely loads of wooden fencing, especially in queue lines. As well as Nemesis and smaller rides like the Raspids they have...

Mine Train

IMG_20190413_142712.jpg

Rita

rita.jpg

Thirteen

maxresdefault.jpg

Spinball

download.jpg

Even their two latest big investments have wooden queue fencing...

Wickerman

WM-Queue-Theme-1.jpg

Curse

Screenshot 2023-12-21 130359.jpg

So I'm really not sure what would make you say that?

Even rides that 'need' mostly metal fencing, like Galactica, have some wooden fencing thrown in there, for the aesthetics... Which is kind of what I expected to be happening here with Nemesis.

Screenshot 2023-12-21 131316.jpg

Yeah I thought that... but the fence on the other side of that queue doesn't go into a ride area and its still a 6ft prison fence. I've seen the same from aerial shots (that I can't seem to find). Non of the old wooden fencing is there anymore , which is understandable coz it was old, but I haven't seen any of it being replaced by wood so far so yeah... I'm expecting these 6ft fences everywhere.
Oh I really hope that's wrong. Hopefully in the woods above the queue entrance we can keep some wood, and the solid metal rails down by the first drop and waterfall need to stay too... That first drop above the waterfall has to be one of the most photographed elements of any ride ever.

Edited to add... I've just remembered, I've personally seen, on multiple occasions, people hopping the fences in the wooded area above the queue entrance to run across the wooded bit and hop back in the queue on other side, either queue jumping or taking a lazy short cut, it happens a lot... Maybe that's why they've done this. :/

bob_3_

Giga Poster
If they want to lean into that they shoulda done metal fencing, I dunno, this just feels like fencing you put behind the scenes, not in the queue.

Anyway, we have spikes! (coutersy of TowersStreet) Looks like they run along the legs, which is pretty cool actually. a Choice I approve of.

IMG-8455.jpg

And another image of the woodland queue area.

IMG-8457.jpg

Source: TowersStreet https://www.instagram.com/towersstreet

Last edited:

toofpikk

Mega Poster
The state of Merlin fencing in general is a complete joke. Perimeter areas and queue lines are the first impression guests get of an attraction, and if it looks like you're walking around a Travis Perkins timber yard; that's not exactly good storytelling.

Queue lines aren't expensive to get right, but time and time again Merlin find ways to hurt their attractions for the sake of shaving pennies off a project budget.

Last edited:

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
This makes no sense, Alton Towers has absolutely loads of wooden fencing, especially in queue lines. As well as Nemesis and smaller rides like the Raspids they have...

Mine Train

View attachment 28870

Rita

View attachment 28872

Thirteen

View attachment 28871

Spinball

View attachment 28869

Even their two latest big investments have wooden queue fencing...

Wickerman

View attachment 28874

Curse

View attachment 28873

So I'm really not sure what would make you say that?

Even rides that 'need' mostly metal fencing, like Galactica, have some wooden fencing thrown in there, for the aesthetics... Which is kind of what I expected to be happening here with Nemesis.

View attachment 28875

Oh I really hope that's wrong. Hopefully in the woods above the queue entrance we can keep some wood, and the solid metal rails down by the first drop and waterfall need to stay too... That first drop above the waterfall has to be one of the most photographed elements of any ride ever.

Edited to add... I've just remembered, I've personally seen, on multiple occasions, people hopping the fences in the wooded area above the queue entrance to run across the wooded bit and hop back in the queue on other side, either queue jumping or taking a lazy short cut, it happens a lot... Maybe that's why they've done this. :/
They do indeed hate wooden fences however they are cheaper and that's all they give a **** about in the end, the non stop issues the wooden fences cause and attract so much graffiti its unreal

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
They do indeed hate wooden fences however they are cheaper and that's all they give a **** about in the end, the non stop issues the wooden fences cause and attract so much graffiti its unreal
Utter nonsense, who hates wooden fences exactly? The CEO? The staff? Merlin the wizard?

Why make ridiculous claims, and then double down on them with more nonsense when those claims are called out? You hate Merlin, we get it, just give it a rest for a bit. 🙈😂

emoo

Hyper Poster
Vehicles are a neat touch but a new trick would be interesting. Not likely the planes wing or fire truck on Swarm will be out done.

I can live with going far away from the Thirteen Rita cattle fence mess. I wouldn't say they cheeped out here, gotta stop the fools a leaping. I'd say its more important to fix the grading to be more forgiving and add lighting, ideally thematic, for the couple of weeks a year when it matters a lot.

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
Utter nonsense, who hates wooden fences exactly? The CEO? The staff? Merlin the wizard?

Why make ridiculous claims, and then double down on them with more nonsense when those claims are called out? You hate Merlin, we get it, just give it a rest for a bit. 🙈😂
Clearly you have a passion for wooden fences, its cute