What's new

Alton Towers | Nemesis Reborn | B&M Retrack | 2024

Ollie

CF Legend
Heard some interesting info from a friend who went to the VIP event. Most of it is probably already known but for those that don't hopefully there's a couple of interesting tidbits.

So, Nemesis was due to be scrapped to the point where they even had plans drawn up for coasters that could replace it (they showed these at the event). Just after Covid they confirmed it was going to be scrapped and went to B&M to talk about the new ride who suggested they just retrack it.

So they went back with a pitch which got approved with a set budget for the track and station. However they wanted to do the rest of the area as well which is around the time Bianca came to the park. So one of her first meetings was going to London with John to pitch to Merlin to try and acquire more money. Which ended up getting approved with extra (probably why we're seeing the Ripsaw site getting done up as well). So all the additional theming pieces around the area such as the helicopters weren't in the original budget.

The waterfalls were also brought up. All they got was a "we're working on it".

Swat

Hyper Poster
Heard some interesting info from a friend who went to the VIP event. Most of it is probably already known but for those that don't hopefully there's a couple of interesting tidbits.

So, Nemesis was due to be scrapped to the point where they even had plans drawn up for coasters that could replace it (they showed these at the event). Just after Covid they confirmed it was going to be scrapped and went to B&M to talk about the new ride who suggested they just retrack it.

So they went back with a pitch which got approved with a set budget for the track and station. However they wanted to do the rest of the area as well which is around the time Bianca came to the park. So one of her first meetings was going to London with John to pitch to Merlin to try and acquire more money. Which ended up getting approved with extra (probably why we're seeing the Ripsaw site getting done up as well). So all the additional theming pieces around the area such as the helicopters weren't in the original budget.

I have also seen that they are working on the rattle and believe it's down to drip trays on the train or due to the track being sand filled.

spicy

Giga Poster
I’d love to see what they had planned just out of curiosity. I assume the alternative plans will be released at some point.

They banned anyone filming the presentation, probably so it doesn’t ruin the next VIP event they have planned. Looks like it was actually worth the £120 ticket though.

Apparently one plan was another invert with an entirely new layout with the banshee style trains. For B&M to suggest retracking is the best option I guess it wouldn’t have been better than Nemesis.

I am so glad they retracked it and didn’t scrap Nemesis, goes to show Merlin didn’t realise just how popular Nemesis is if they planned on scrapping it?

The theming budget before must have been incredibly low if this is what they created on the extra budget? Don’t get me wrong I like what they have done but shoving a couple of old helicopters in is hardly huge budget theming.

The eye must have taken most of that new budget up. Shame there doesn’t seem to have been enough extra budget to fix the waterfalls although “we are working on it” is positive news at least.

Ollie

CF Legend
Apparently one plan was another invert with an entirely new layout with the banshee style trains. For B&M to suggest retracking is the best option I guess it wouldn’t have been better than Nemesis.
The one they showed during the presentation was another B&M invert with a different and longer layout and potentially a launch from what they could try and make out in the slideshow.

FogZog

Mega Poster

Whoever was involved in the decision to originally scrap/re-design Nemesis should be banned from society 🙃🙃 Can’t believe someone actually dared to think they can put another coaster in that spot. Pure travesty.