What's new

Accident at Alton Towers

What a disaster of a year for Alton! Their worst ever without a doubt. The only people who will be eager to ride their next coaster are enthusiasts, over half of the GP will assume it will be dangerous and badly engineered because of all the negative press associated with the park.

^The thing that worries about that is that they were already leaning away from a woodie cause it is perceived as unsafe, will the rumoured RMC be affected at all?

Let us pray not.

Ben said:
^The thing that worries about that is that they were already leaning away from a woodie cause it is perceived as unsafe, will the rumoured RMC be affected at all?

Let us pray not.

I think I said this elsewhere or earlier in the thread but I was hoping that the change to wood might provide a healthy distraction from steel loopers for a while? Who even knows now though. They might freak and bail on the idea. If it ever was an idea.

Yeah I speculated similar Ben and tbh given the public reaction to even the simplest break down, I think any thoughts of a woodie are long gone.

If the general public are being led to believe that Alton Towers is seriously unsafe (and from Twitter a worrying amount of cretins think so) then they won't go and build a style of coaster that said cretins already find unsafe. Wrongly, I hasten to add.

This Spinball thing sounds identical to the clip that fell off of Air but was actually from a cleaning cart. Sensationalist bollocks from some mug in the park who wants five minutes of fame.

There's bad opinion floating round hoping that Alton Towers will close (extremely unlikely).

But I imagine the same people who say that are the same who will complain that the number of unemployed people has increased.

I did lol at the upside down 80 capacity stalled Air.

Two of my friends visited Alton Towers a few days after the Smiler incident. Queue lines were 15 minutes maximum for the popular rides like Nemesis.

Alton Towers might suffer from this, but as a visitor, if you go now, you can get short queue times due to people being too terrified to ride anything.

I've been on a wild mouse when it "crashed" on a block. It's so uneventful no one even realises it's not part of the damn ride.

Actually. About 22 years ago I was on the black hole and it got stuck on the lift hill and even went round with the lights on! Maybe u should sell the story to the mirror!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's Lucky they're not scrutinising Thorpe Park. I don't think I've ever had a day there where SAW hasn't had a malfunction of some sorts.

Obviously the stories are complete rubbish and the Sonic Story in particular just seems like people trying to make something out of a bad predicament for Alton. Maybe they thought they could claim comp, however, if I was Merlin, I'd be slightly concerned at the amount of publicity they're still getting. The problem like I stated above is that in this day and age even a stalled train on an Air lift hill is enough to get people talking and make its way around FB and twitter

Ben said:
Alton will be fine, but they do need to stop crashing coasters sooner rather than later.

line from Lock stock 'I don't believe this, can everyone stop crashing coasters.' :lol:

As already stated, AT media and PR must be having a nightmare at the moment. I honestly can't see there being a woodie at AT now after all this.

How is that even a news story? This whole thing is making me facepalm now. Wow, a power cut stopped a ride and everyone was taken off safely.

peep said:
How is that even a news story? This whole thing is making me facepalm now. Wow, a power cut stopped a ride and everyone was taken off safely.
I would hate to work for their PR team at this point, even minor incidents like this make the news due to recent events.

I think they've been doing a great job. The quotes they've been throwing at the media are amazing, sort of read like a teenager sick of having to deal with the same rubbish every day like "this is normal you cretins".

Alton Towers is a death trap, and I shall never return there again.

I can't believe that after the horrific events of last month that they've allowed another destructive, terrifying collision to happen on Sonic. I hope it gets removed.

Then there's Air. Who in their right minds would ever put someone through such a tragic experience. Being left on a lift hill for 20 minutes has altered 80 people's lives forever. Imagine the emotional scars <///3. I hope Air gets removed.

And then to wrap it up they allow power failure to disrupt the monorail, leaving people to suffer like dogs in a hot car. How very dare they! I hope it gets...

The park get regular news minor news stories throughout the year anyway. Maybe more like a couple a month but some of these would probably have been reported anyway in slow news days without the accident.

Obviously we know it's a hot topic right now but we'll never see the news void of articles. Just a pain that they are dragging it out now. I have heard it come up in conversation with people again since the accident but the conversation I heard this time was people pretty much agreeing with what we've said.

Age of social media means that any remote incident whatsoever will be up and online immediately because people are desperate for a few minutes of fame. Hence the Mirror article about a massive crash on Spinball and a huge clip falling off of Air and people being stuck upside down for hours.

Maybe it's karma for Merlin filling the media with thier own **** stories over the last decade. The haunted monk anyone? Banning people from putting thier arms up because of BO, banning screaming...

Maybe Alton could just refuse to promote thier bogof tickets anymore with any papers doing a hatchet job...