What's new

Accident at Alton Towers

I thought Merlin done pretty well with launching the Smiler. The logo appearing on the Queens home was pretty neat publicity... and it must have worked, how long were the queues when it opened, 3 hours?

Merlin get a lot of stick (from me included), but I've always said they were spot on with the Smiler (manufacturer aside...)

It's a good job those people on Spinball have never been on Lisebergbanan

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

SilverArrow said:
spicy said:
Ok they really are scraping the barrel to keep this fresh in the media now...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/al ... on-6010014
Why do they need to fundraise if merlin are paying for it all and have already agreed to do so? Maybe another publicity stunt but seems a bit pointless given that the whole country knows about how they agreed to pay for it all.

Thanks for that post Ian, most insightful.

If it's true then I doubt Charles Bronson would be up to date on the current events of that particular legal case. It was a nice gesture I guess...

This is off-topic, but what should I expect to be open tomorrow? Obviously not the Smiler, but I've heard that Sub-Terra, Ripsaw and Enterprise are closed quite often (if not always) at the moment.

Nemesis Sub Terra had problems with the restraints it was given a couple of weeks ago so they are doing things to stop said problems (if not putting the old ones back). Ripsaw is awaiting a new part and Enterprise is going through some maintenance that I'm not too sure about. :)

^I think they're trying to get back to normal as quickly as possible, so I think it's fair enough.

There was a 'guard' outside the Smiler's entrance today and I'm not entirely sure why.....

mouse said:
I also notice adverts for Alton's enchanted village have been shown on TV very recently... Too soon?

Don't see how it's too soon at all. The Smiler incident was awful as we've all said one hundred times but accidents happen. Yes, the general public might not see it quite like that and want to point the finger of blame to someone and will continue to suckle every bit of media propaganda against the park as they can but the TV advert is just advertising the theme park's new addition, the Enchanted Village, if they were advertising 'come look at a SBNO rollercoaster' then it'd be different...They've got to get back to, or they want to be seen to get back to normal, on the other hand they don't want to be seen to be sweeping it under the carpet, and to be honest they probably want to start lightly advertising again because their visitor numbers are bound to have dropped.

Given that SAW has reopened, does this suggest the accident was more likely the product of human error rather than the ride itself?

So maybe it has affected Alton badly if they're resorting to groupon?

I tried to attach a screenshot off my mobile but basically it's on groupon for £27 entrance.

Wow I had no idea you could get group on tickets.

I don't think £27 is that cheap tbh. Bogof price basically, isn't it? What's gate price £50-something?

So did the investigations actually get any results or are we still in the dark about what actually happened?

Dan1989 said:
So did the investigations actually get any results or are we still in the dark about what actually happened?
HSE hasn't released the report yet, but when they do I guarantee it will be all over the media so you won't miss it.