What's new

Accident at Alton Towers

Smithy

Strata Poster
Robbie said:
Smithy said:
All irrelevant at this stage because Varney to his absolute credit has said the family will essentially have everything paid for, and no need to argue for a settlement.

The only reason they'll end up being a disagreement is if their solicitors try and take the piss and wring them for a stupid amount.
It said on BBC News that the family of the girl from Leyland will be trying for a criminal prosecution as well as lots of compensation.

Yeah I saw that, read exactly as I imagined it would from a slimy solicitor tbh. Don't agree with pushing for a criminal prosecution before the cause of the accident is even disclosed (assume they know it by now given HSE have ordered the ride shut, but at the time of this first quote I doubt they'd have shared it, especially if as Varney has said he hasn't been able to make contact with the injured or their families).

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Of course all countries have their rotten apples, but the British media (not all, but many) are widely infamous for their vileness and bullsh*t. They hide behind "freedom of speech", but in fact they just want to destroy everything just for attention and a quick buck. Truthful stories are not interesting and dramatic enough I guess.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
A little late to the party but I agree, the sky news interview was awful. She was being an ott c**t and I felt sorry for Nick.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
ThomVD said:
Of course all countries have their rotten apples, but the British media (not all, but many) are widely infamous for their vileness and bullsh*t. They hide behind "freedom of speech", but in fact they just want to destroy everything just for attention and a quick buck. Truthful stories are not interesting and dramatic enough I guess.

Sorry for double post, this sums up our newspaper, the Daily Mail most of the time!

Whenever their headline for a story is a question, the answer is always NO :lol:

mcg0ughchris

Mega Poster
If one of those teenage girls loses a leg they'll be getting 1 million+ in compensation as well as all medical costs paid for I'd imagine.

They'll certainly be getting more than 100k.

Has it actually been proved or disproved that anyone has any life changing injuries yet?

scw55

Hyper Poster
Nemesis runs across rivers of "blood". Oblivion queue lines remind you of cars going missing.
Viral marketing for The Swarm had test maniquins minus limbs.
I'd astonishing how much media and social media has latched onto this.
Last major incident in a Theme Park was Oakwood years ago.

I understand why humans are fearful. I'm just angry that the media make things worse.

I'm disgusted and at how catty the News person is on Twitter. If she receives negative feedback, she rips into any spelling or grammatical mistakes (like all good internet trolls). If the confrontational tweet uses perfect English, she uses the #perspective card.
I have a few more people to add to my prayer list about this matter.
I have to add angry News reporter lady who doesn't listen in addition to stressed out Merlin staff. And also mislead members of public. On top of the victims, victim's families, people who were around the incident, staff on duty, designers, manufacturers. So many people affected.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
^^How do you know how much she would get? Unless you also happen to be a lawyer, I think we should go by what various solicitors have said. But as already pointed out, there's no point arguing about compensation, as we don't know what exactly the injuries are yet. And at the moment, the 'life-changing injuries', is still just a rumour, I believe.

^Big Dipper?

elephant58

Hyper Poster
I mean that the last major accident was probably Big Dipper crashing in 2009, but yeah I believe the last death on a British theme park ride was Hydro.

mcg0ughchris

Mega Poster
elephant58 said:
^^How do you know how much she would get? Unless you also happen to be a lawyer, I think we should go by what various solicitors have said. But as already pointed out, there's no point arguing about compensation, as we don't know what exactly the injuries are yet. And at the moment, the 'life-changing injuries', is still just a rumour, I believe.

^Big Dipper?

Just going off claim history etc. If you quickly Google work related incidents etc. Take into account it's a massive company who would want to settle it with the least amount of negative publicity possible it'll definitely be a very high, undisclosed amount depending on the injury (severity). If they go through a ruthless solicitor they'll absolute rinse Alton Towers as the fault has been complete negligence.

And in all honesty if I was the girl, who's still only 19, and this happened to me I wouldn't be happy with a 100k settlement if it was life altering.

scw55

Hyper Poster
I completely missed the Big Dipper crash in 2009. Was there as much of a poop storm about it as it feels for this?

tomahawk

Strata Poster
^hahahhhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Holy **** that's funny! Never heard that joke before!

He handled himself very well in the interview, if you want to call it that.

Slayed

Hyper Poster
Snoo said:
That woman just made me feel like I was watching Fox News.
That's no surprise Snoo - it's Fox News's sister channel and owned by Murdoch! It's not usually as bad but Kay Burley is an odious witch.

It was a slow news day in the UK yesterday, which won't have pleased Merlin as it left Alton top of the BBC news.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Who the Hell does this Kay Burley be-atch think she is? The voice of the people or sumat? What a monumentally ridiculous excuse for an interview. They've had an accident, a serious one, anyone with half a brain can see why safety protocols are being reviewed and enhanced across the chain. I mean seriously, would she prefer that Merlin didn't re-examine procedures, and carried on regardless?
What an absolute moron.
Petition signed.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
scw55 said:
I completely missed the Big Dipper crash in 2009. Was there as much of a poop storm about it as it feels for this?

I think so, but I can't remember all of it. I remember a lot of people wanted it to be demolished. I'm not sure what the injuries were though, I don't think they were as bad as this crash.

newfoundglory

Roller Poster
I'm really interested in finding out what happened on this ride. I cant have been the only programmer thinking RACE CONDITION on Tuesday. That would be quite serious if found to be the case. Race conditions kill people.

And I was thinking even more so, since the interviews with them saying perhaps there was "a unique sequence of events".

Issues with operating software, human input... or both? Is the operating software on rollercoasters properly reviewed and tested?

Hardware failure seems a bit unlikely IMHO.

I am assuming the software has sufficient auditing and logging et cetera... but think i'd feel a bit uncomfortable going to parks again if it transpired it was easy for operators to simply over-ride software safety systems.