What's new

Accident at Alton Towers

Slayed

Hyper Poster
^Beat me to it!

If they were confident it was due to human error, than they may have to demonstrate to H&S that staff & procedures are safe before they can reopen in general.

mouse

Giga Poster
For those that haven't seen it; an interview with the Chief Executive of Merlin:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UqxxUZdJJ4[/youtube]

(Tried using the youtube tags, not sure why its not working?)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^You need to remove the 's' from 'https' for the embedding tags to work. I've edited your post to correct this. Thanks for sharing.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Is the area covered by CCTV? There's bound to be more footage of the ride in the moments leading up to the accident, surely?
Not that I want to see it or anything - the aftermath clip was chilling enough - but to help uncover what happened/ what went wrong.
The BBC, for example, are still using the Daily Fail's story that the second car stopped at the top of the inversion!
Be nice if that myth was put to rest...

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
According to family there's been reports of leg loss on BBC Radio 4, considering they don't read the mail, I am assuming it's becoming widely accepted by most news sources as fact.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Howie said:
Is the area covered by CCTV? There's bound to be more footage of the ride in the moments leading up to the accident, surely?
Not that I want to see it or anything - the aftermath clip was chilling enough - but to help uncover what happened/ what went wrong.
The BBC, for example, are still using the Daily Fail's story that the second car stopped at the top of the inversion!
Be nice if that myth was put to rest...
CCTV would be property of Alton Towers, at at their discretion to share with the public. Given that the investigation of the accident is still ongoing, it would be short sighted to release evidence of the accident until all details have been sorted out.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Hyde said:
Howie said:
CCTV would be property of Alton Towers, at at their discretion to share with the public. Given that the investigation of the accident is still ongoing, it would be short sighted to release evidence of the accident until all details have been sorted out.

Well... yeah, I wasn't suggesting they release any footage to the public - that would be crrrrazy - was just wondering if there was any, and whether the investigations team can extract any answers from it.

Ben

CF Legend
Slayed said:
^Beat me to it!

If they were confident it was due to human error, than they may have to demonstrate to H&S that staff & procedures are safe before they can reopen in general.

Yeah, I get that, I just wonder why that didn't kick in with Hayley Williams, RMT, Saw etc.

I imagine the media cover is probably more a part of it tbh.

ems991

Roller Poster
This is probably a dumb question, I don't know that much about how roller coasters work.
But if you watch a POV of Smiler is there not a set of brakes between the lift and where the collision occurred? Or could they not be used to stop the car are they just designed to slow it before it heads into the next inversion? I'm just curious.

Also where is the source for it being held on the lift as I can't find that anywhere but I know from a friend who was in the park that it had been stuck earlier in the day on the lift.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Seems bizarre that the train will travel right to the top of the lift, before coming to a halt. Trains on air start slowing down as soon as they start the climb....

Ben

CF Legend
^It's almost as if different manufacturers might do it differently for different rides.

Huh.

nemesis_guy

Roller Poster
ems991 said:
This is probably a dumb question, I don't know that much about how roller coasters work.
But if you watch a POV of Smiler is there not a set of brakes between the lift and where the collision occurred? Or could they not be used to stop the car are they just designed to slow it before it heads into the next inversion? I'm just curious.

Also where is the source for it being held on the lift as I can't find that anywhere but I know from a friend who was in the park that it had been stuck earlier in the day on the lift.

You're correct, the brakes before are there to slow it down slightly and cannot stop the train.

Also, welcome to the forum

wakey1512

Roller Poster
Interesting point on the article by the guardian that the operators room is completely enclosed and in no view of the track whatsoever - relying on a control panel to tell you where the trains are etc. Perhaps a practice that should be stopped asap. The operators need to see the ride they are controlling to keep on top of the job?

nemesis_guy

Roller Poster
wakey1512 said:
Interesting point on the article by the guardian that the operators room is completely enclosed and in no view of the track whatsoever - relying on a control panel to tell you where the trains are etc. Perhaps a practice that should be stopped asap. The operators need to see the ride they are controlling to keep on top of the job?

Good point there but they have many CCTV cameras monitoring the ride which I assume can be viewed in the control room. Obviously the cameras are not going to get every angle and I've only spotted them on the first lift hill and a couple of other spots. Wonder how much they can show.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
But on long rides, you are never going to be able to see the whole length of the ride from one spot, even if the control booth is open air. Look at Helix for example.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Ben said:
Slayed said:
^Beat me to it!

Yeah, I get that, I just wonder why that didn't kick in with Hayley Williams, RMT, Saw etc.

I imagine the media cover is probably more a part of it tbh.
I feel like as time has gone on the media in general hype all things up more and more with the oversharing culture that we have. There has been an increase in the number of media outlets that exist (anyone can create a website or twitter) and create hype because people will see it mentioned again and again and thus the incident will seem like a bigger deal to people.

I follow the zoo industry as well and a lot of recent negative zoo press incidents have been a lot more prominently reported than I think they would have been in the past (e.g. Marius the giraffe, Longleat lions, Colchester wolf escape etc). The child that fell at Chessington caused a big stir too with people publicly claiming boycotts and things. Twitter and Facebook pages encourage people to comment, share and rant about stories as well. Stories get stolen and reposted again and again as everyone is fighting for page views. Integrity seems to have been completely lost.

It's an annoying fact of this age but it is applicable to screw-ups in any industry. Obviously the information should be there for us all to know but it's frustrating when half of it is incorrect and Joe Blogg's opinion off twitter is used as a huge talking point.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
snes2 said:
Anybody have an idea of what exactly is going to happen to the ride?

Probably, it'll remain closed for a few weeks. Initially for investigation, then for a new set of measures to be implemented so that something like this won't happen again. They might also need a new train or two (or at least an overhaul of the existing ones), although I think that can be supplied within the year, if need be. In the mean time, the ride should have two other trains to use.

In the long run, though, I think it will remain operational. The story of the crash will continue to haunt it, but in the end it won't impact ridership much. If anything, it'll give the ride a spookily sinister reputation, which would make it even more attractive in the eyes of some people - I mean, imagine the bragging rights when you've been on a ride where several people died* all those years back?

*People love to exaggerate, almost as much as they love to believe in an exaggeration. Before the end of the year, at least some people will be referring to this as the "killer coaster", because people simply are that stupid.