What's new

A dull ride or a painful ride?

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
I posted something on Facebook this weekend joking about how kiddie coasters are probably more enjoyable than SLCs to most and that actually yielded some interesting results and opinions, so I thought I'd make a topic.

What I was getting at is that while kiddie creds do absolutely nothing except a few that might have some good or bad spark here and there, a cred that does pretty much nothing except go around in a circle is still better than a full-sized thrill coaster like an SLC, boomerang, or Volare that does something as a coaster but leaves the ride ops scraping you off the seat with a spatula and wheeling you off in a cart to a mass grave somewhere in the park. But do you agree? Would you rather sit on the bench in front of T3 than ride it? Or would you get to a park an hour until close due to traffic and when it comes crunch time pick the boomerang over the Zamperla death machine?

Putting your rankings on a scale, I'd say I rank coasters on a scale of -10 to 10. -10 being the most absolutely dreadful contraption ever devised that should be barred by the UN as an interrogation tactic, 0 being no coaster at all, and 10 being Skyrush. Or is it a scale of 0-10, with 10 being your favorite coaster and 0 being no coaster, and even throwing you through a few inversions beating you up in SAW-like restraints can still earn a coaster some points?

So discuss! Would you rather have a bad, painful coaster than almost no coaster? Or do you love roller coasters to the point that you love every big thrill machine, even if the trains sport a badge of quality that looks suspiciously like a Vekoma/Zamperla/Togo/Golden Horse logo?

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
I find some kiddie creds have some really good laterals. Sure, some of them don't do anything, but I do think that some kiddie coasters I've done are better than SLCs and other garb.

Lofty

CF Legend
I don't get why anybody would want a bad painful coaster? Regardless.

When I go to Terra Mitica, I refuse to ride Magnus Colossus, yet will ride the smaller coasters.

Or is that just me?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I'd choose a dull ride over a ride that caused me pain. I'd rather be bored than in pain.

Then again, I'd always try out a new cred, even if it had a reputation for being painful. Loads of people find Saw painful / uncomfortable, yet I'm fine with it. I'd hate to miss out on riding a ride I might like just because others don't like it. Though I guess this isn't really the question being asked?

But yeah, I'd never choose to ride a bad, painful ride if I knew it was bad and painful.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Lofty said:

When I go to Terra Mitica, I refuse to ride Magnus Colossus, yet will ride the smaller coasters.

Or is that just me?

I remember us both standing and watching family ECG ride the Mouse at Blackpool going "nah mate!"

I'll generally ride anything once. Painful rides though I won't ride again. Dull rides I also avoid though. I'm as happy to sit and watch a Big Apple as I am Hero at Flamingoland.

Fortunately, since deciding not to count clones, I can avoid the need to go on every I come across ;)

Though I love Boomerangs and will always ride them no matter what... I also have a masochistic streak for SLCs.

Baco can **** off though.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Painful rides and kiddie rides are among my least favorite coasters, but I've had more "fun" on kiddie coasters than painful ones. Don't care what kind of layout it may have, but while the painful ones all I can think about is when I can get off!

Hutch

Strata Poster
Painful rides and kiddie rides are among my least favorite coasters, but I've had more "fun" on kiddie coasters than painful ones. Don't care what kind of layout it may have, but while the painful ones all I can think about is when I can get off!

Howie

Donkey in a hat
I must be a weirdo. I'd much rather ride a full size, thrill coaster - even if it beats you up a bit - than embarrass myself on a tin-pot little kiddie cred.
I might only go on it once, especially if it's a really rough one (Timewarp, Ghostrider, SLC's etc) but you'll NEVER see me queueing up for a GoGator or a Wacky Worm with a bunch of snot-nosed toddlers. That is shameless cred-whoring and it must be eradicated.

Lofty

CF Legend
furie said:
Lofty said:

Or is that just me?

I remember us both standing and watching family ECG ride the Mouse at Blackpool going "nah mate!"

I know, we were both like "Not happening, nope" :lol:

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
If a ride is truly dull (to me anyway) then it has absolutely nothing to offer. Painful rides, still have a chance at having an interesting layout, great interactions, good forces and airtime etc. Unless the rides are really causing some harm, I wouldn't feel the need to dismiss them and their positive attributes. Also sometimes pain can make things more fun (even though I'd obviously prefer a coaster to be smooth over being painful).

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Exactly. I'd rather feel something, an uncomfortable ride even, than feel nothing at all while riding.

Do I voluntarily ride rough roller coasters, such as Boomerangs, SLCs, Old Arrows & Vekomas? Hardly - last year I only rode three Arrow loopers once each.

Do I voluntarily ride kiddie roller coasters? Not at all.

Taking a look at my rankings, the rough roller coasters are definitely towards the bottom of the list. But do you know what is exactly at the bottom?

131 Son of Beast Kings Island
132 Jack Rabbit Kennywood
133 Trailblazer Hersheypark
134 Dahlonega Mine Train Six Flags Over Georgia
135 Fav Wild Mouse Dorney Park, California Adventure, Carowinds
136 Manhattan Express New York New York Hotel
137 The Villain Geauga Lake
138 Raging Wolf Bobs Geauga Lake
139 Racer Kennywood
140 Double Loop Geauga Lake
141 Jaguar! Knott's Berry Farm
142 Comet Waldameer
143 Gold Rusher Six Flags Magic Mountain
144 Santa Monica West Coaster Pacific Park
145 Steel Lasso Frontier City
146 Flying ACE Ariel Chase Kings Island
147 Woodstock Express Cedar Point
148 Woodstock Express Kings Island
149 Beaver Land Mine Ride Geauga Lake
150 Jr. Gemini Cedar Point

AirtimeFreak

Mega Poster
Howie said:
I must be a weirdo. I'd much rather ride a full size, thrill coaster - even if it beats you up a bit - than embarrass myself on a tin-pot little kiddie cred.
I might only go on it once, especially if it's a really rough one (Timewarp, Ghostrider, SLC's etc) but you'll NEVER see me queueing up for a GoGator or a Wacky Worm with a bunch of snot-nosed toddlers. That is shameless cred-whoring and it must be eradicated.
Well said Howie.

I think I'm the same, and to be honest I don't think I've ever got off a coaster thinking I wont ride that again because it was too painful? Then again I'm yet to ride an SLC.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Pink Panther said:
Also sometimes pain can make things more fun (even though I'd obviously prefer a coaster to be smooth over being painful).

The only reason I ride the Wild Mouse at Blackpool. If it does hurt, the ride would be nothing without it's roughness so I would never feel the need to ride it.

Otherwise, it doesn't really matter to me. A coaster is still a coaster and the roughness can be part of the experience (e.g. Wild MOuse and Ultimate). But having said that, Big Dipper (back row) to Wild Mouse to Grand National (back row) is not a combination me or my back want to experience ever again!

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Depends on degree of pain I think. I did Gwazi multiple times a year and a half ago, after having experienced restraint digging in pain on my most recent previous ride. Still enjoyed it despite being rattled around.

Got a massive bruise from Derby Racer at BPB (yes I know) due to holding on too tight (didn't expect it to be so fast as I hadn't watched it before getting on) but would ride that again and that was a degree of pain.

Only been on the wild mouse and grand nash once each but would defo reride them again, maybe not Nash at the back though?

Infusion was pretty yuck tbh but I'd do it again to refresh my memory. I think in time I forget how rough coasters are. Baco sounds horrid though.

Probably depends on the type of pain too- potential back problems vs just awkward seating etc.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
I'm pretty basic (under 100 creds) so I'm grateful to be getting on any coaster whether that be dull or painful! I'd say I'd rather ride a rough ride because they can still have substance and excitement all be it mixed with a little pain. Saw is a good example, it's a little uncomfortable and can be bit squishy in places but I'd never turn down a ride on it because it's still a good ride. Same with Collosus really

witchfinder

Giga Poster
I'd rather have a rough/painful ride on an exciting coaster than a smooth ride on a boring one. Having grown up going to Blackpool and Alton Towers (Corkscrew era) I think getting bashed about on a coaster is part of the experience and not something to complain about too much.

I would draw the line at riding Tornado at M&D's again though!

Howie

Donkey in a hat
AirtimeFreak said:
Howie said:
Well said Howie.

I think I'm the same, and to be honest I don't think I've ever got off a coaster thinking I wont ride that again because it was too painful? Then again I'm yet to ride an SLC.

Yay - kinda reassuring to know I'm not the only weirdo.

Chris Brown said:
I'm pretty basic (under 100 creds) so I'm grateful to be getting on any coaster whether that be dull or painful! I'd say I'd rather ride a rough ride because they can still have substance and excitement all be it mixed with a little pain. Saw is a good example, it's a little uncomfortable and can be bit squishy in places but I'd never turn down a ride on it because it's still a good ride. Same with Collosus really

Stick to your principles fella! Having a count below 100 shows that you're a discerning enthusiast and not prone to shameless, filthy cred-whoring. I've been an enthusiast for sumat like 25 yrs and I'm still only on 175. It's what's in your top 10 that counts :)

witchfinder said:
I would draw the line at riding Tornado at M&D's again though!

Amen to that!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
First time visit: ride everything.

Repeat visit: ignore kiddy/dull crap unless with someone who needs the creds and probably reride anything major, even if it's awful.

The exception would be a big park with loads of coasters though. For example, if/when I get back to Canada's Wonderland, the SLC and Volare will be f**king right off.