What's new

25-state, 40-park, month-and-a-half, post-pandemic extravaganza

RcTmix

Mega Poster
Finally, it has to be said that the capacity was abysmal, by my count averaging zero riders per hour. All told, a bit of a disappointment.
Legendary.

Hopefully they'll start hitting their interval as the season progresses.

On a more general note, thanks for this extended trip report. It's been great so far!

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Day Five: South Carolina

I managed to hit all three parks I was hoping to visit in Myrtle Beach.

I started with Pavilion Park, where a majestic SBF Spinner known as Myrtle Turtle was the sole credit. I know my readers are seething with envy on that one.

Then I had an early dinner in a Pavilion restaurant and managed to catch the second half of the England match. Even with the sound off, I could feel the drabness of the game coming through the screen. But job done and that’s all that counts. I’ll have to figure out where I’ll be for the final.

Then I went to a beachside park called Funplex that I was told is just weeks old. They have an SBF coaster called Fun in the Sun that has two of those new hamster wheel cars — except in this coaster they’re on the front. My first time on such a model, and it certainly had me laughing. And a memorable quotation from a mother shouting up to her son as he was getting in the hamster wheel in front of me: “Are you crying? Ain’t no cryin’ in rollercoasterin’!” Sage words for us all to live by.

Then I walked down the beach to Family Kingdom, where the reason for this stop on my trip sat waiting: Swamp Fox. Been wanting to ride this coaster for many years, and finally achieved it! It has some great airtime, but also some clanging potholes in the valleys.

As there was a threat of rain, I went off to try to get the other credits and the wacky dark ride while I could. Did the dark ride and the wild mouse, but on the kiddie coaster a terse and salty “You can’t ride” punctuated my moment of shame.

I always assumed I would marathon Swamp Fox, but when I made my way back to it, the line had become very long, I felt quite exhausted from a long, hot day with a LOT of walking, and it was 9 pm and I knew I had to sort out my approach for Tropical Storm Elsa about to hit the area and disrupt my plans, so I wimped out — to my own surprise — and decided it would be wiser to head back to the hotel, where I treated the car windscreen with rain repellent and went over weather reports.

Essentially, Elsa is now moving from Florida to Georgia to South Carolina. My planned itinerary for this leg? South Carolina to Georgia to Florida. Head on into the path. Storm and tornado warnings abound. But my hope is that I juuuuust may luck out here, as Elsa is slated to hit Myrtle Beach in the wee hours of the night. And by the time I’d get to Savannah tomorrow that storm should be done there. The question is whether I can GET there. It will be raining here in Myrtle Beach in the am, but will it just be the last remnants of rain, or will it still be a storm intense enough to prohibit travel? We’ll see tomorrow morning.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Day Six: Georgia

Went to sleep last night in my room on the fourth (top) floor of a beachfront hotel in Myrtle Beach. Woke up in the morning because a loud civic alert was sounding on my phone: tornado warning in your immediate area for the next half hour; seek shelter. I step out of bed and my feet splash into water that is covering half the floor. Not immediately apparent where the water came from, but I think horizontal rain brought it in under the balcony door. I move away from that large window next to which my bed sits, and scan weather reports.

Mercifully, by about 8:30 am, the insane storm outside very suddenly abates, and within half an hour I’m in my car and on the road. I really got amazingly lucky with the timing of a tropical storm that could have hugely disrupted my trip.

Drove a few hours to Savannah, Georgia, for a non-coaster day exploring the city for the first time. Filled with antebellum buildings everywhere, Savannah is a series of squares and parks, filled with these amazing live oaks decorated by Spanish moss.

7766633D-7C15-43FC-B91B-09918BB40B50.jpeg
5856F82D-FA4C-41AF-8195-A6B9DDCACF16.jpeg
F4F5D39F-489B-4D3E-9945-3AE4784DA736.jpeg
9D84C8BD-A432-4C89-870E-D5A0423BE7A8.jpeg
EE3BB0E7-8BC6-4D2F-815B-60693122E880.jpeg
394A7F28-242A-4858-8324-C3B1169F4803.jpegThe oldest tree in Savannah — in fact, it’s older than Savannah.
D93EB817-E1B5-4759-98B6-24D8B61FCA1A.jpeg
That touristy-looking cocktail is called Chatham Artillery Punch, and it’s the city’s traditional drink (no, not something just recently made up for tourists; been around the city a long time).

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Glad Elsa didn't hit you too bad, I only got some much needed rain from it. Were you able to find Forrest Gump's bench?
Thank you. I really lucked out on the timing.

I was told where the spot was where the original bench used to be, and told that the bench that now exists is a replica. Not that it matters much. I’ve tried to maintain a box-of-chocolates mentality here, though.

Actually, the city’s seductive chill atmosphere has induced me to go on a mini-pub crawl. Not driving anymore today, after all.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Actually, the city’s seductive chill atmosphere has induced me to go on a mini-pub crawl. Not driving anymore today, after all.
Excellent - the spontaneous diversions along the route are often times the best. Enjoy!

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Day Seven: Florida

After a fabulous breakfast in Savannah — involving fried green tomatoes

1FF24100-BEBB-434F-9236-F272DB4FD47F.jpeg

and cheese grits! — I made the long drive to Busch Gardens Tampa and stayed till closing — well past closing, actually.
Again, you’ll want to hear first and foremost about my experience on this baby:
526C92E9-3BD0-4B40-B94C-D6CD07A5A79E.jpeg

Actually, I’d have to say that it was a lot like my experience on Pantheon, so everything I had to say about that coaster applies here.

Not featured in this photo, in front of Iron Gwazi there was also a big sign of a hand with the middle finger raised, which personally I thought was a bit excessive.

On the positive side, I gained a credit I hadn’t counted before the trip: last time I went to BGT, Tigris didn’t exist.

Those of you who have been to Florida know the pigeons and sparrows that hang around outdoor tables are a bit odd looking.

9B1B438C-D762-4DBF-AC59-2A2DAEB7BFA5.jpeg
DA2619A1-C0DD-456A-B368-10382E8D9E8F.jpeg

Montu is as fantastic as ever, although today the g-forces were a tad less than I remembered — but still it was awesome. Kumba was much more head-bangy than I remembered, front and back row.

Sheikra remains the only dive machine that really thrills me and makes me want to marathon it. Got the last ride of the night on it after fireworks, and then made the arduous journey to my hotel across the street.

BGT is a fabulous place but it really needs a world-class coaster to elevate the level of the entire park. If only such a coaster were in the works …

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Day Eight: Florida

Today’s main destination, Legoland Florida, was an afterthought during the itinerary planning, when I noticed it was halfway between BGT and Universal, and I had a chunk of time between.

Legoland is a nice enough place, but nothing for a coaster enthusiast to out of their way for. It has four credits, but one was closed today. The coaster called The Dragon was the cutest — it has a dark ride section followed by a series of outdoor helices. It was definitely a huge crowd pleaser. Coastersaurus is a true woodie, but very mild.

For me the highlight of the park is the remaining area of the original Cypress Gardens:

4FB3B413-715E-46CE-9C78-4C8C7EA34075.jpeg
ABCB3677-8D7F-452D-B061-1C24409B9995.jpeg
8AE257DE-F207-4A62-AE85-E247981F816F.jpeg
312601B5-FB6E-46FB-839C-9C617C04820A.jpeg
995E9681-A2AB-4585-AB0F-F5B94EB2FDCA.jpeg

Had a little adventure today, though. When I go out to my car in the morning, I notice that a crack has formed across the bottom of the windshield. Deciding that this evening would be the best time to address it, I figure I’ll go to Legoland first, watching the crack like a hawk, then drive on to my hotel in Orlando, where I’ll be four nights anyway, so it seems the best place to deal with it. At 4 pm, I leave Legoland, returning to the car, and the baking heat in the parking lot has affected the crack! It now snakes up and across the entire windshield! Yikes! Quite nervous, I carefully drive the hour plus to my Orlando hotel, and then call the rental company. I tell them the state of the windshield and they highly suggest I drive it to the Orlando airport! So I get everything out of the car and check into the hotel, then drive to the airport, swap out the car, then return, and squeeze in a late but delicious dinner at 9 pm.

A bit of an uneasy feeling driving so much in a car when temperature alone made the crack grow like that!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Had a little adventure today, though. When I go out to my car in the morning, I notice that a crack has formed across the bottom of the windshield. Deciding that this evening would be the best time to address it, I figure I’ll go to Legoland first, watching the crack like a hawk, then drive on to my hotel in Orlando, where I’ll be four nights anyway, so it seems the best place to deal with it. At 4 pm, I leave Legoland, returning to the car, and the baking heat in the parking lot has affected the crack! It now snakes up and across the entire windshield! Yikes! Quite nervous, I carefully drive the hour plus to my Orlando hotel, and then call the rental company. I tell them the state of the windshield and they highly suggest I drive it to the Orlando airport! So I get everything out of the car and check into the hotel, then drive to the airport, swap out the car, then return, and squeeze in a late but delicious dinner at 9 pm.
Man, that sounds like an annoying situation. I'm curious - what were they like with regards to 'empathy' on the issue? Was there any hassle from them, or was it pretty simple and "no big deal" so to speak? Touch wood, I've never had an issue with a hire car (at least, not like that - someone drove into the side of me in San Fran a few years ago, but the rental company had offered $0 excess on a promotion, so I just left the car with them and walked off), but I've always had it in the back of my mind that it would be a right bother to deal with.

Glad to hear it all got sorted out for you though!

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Man, that sounds like an annoying situation. I'm curious - what were they like with regards to 'empathy' on the issue? Was there any hassle from them, or was it pretty simple and "no big deal" so to speak? Touch wood, I've never had an issue with a hire car (at least, not like that - someone drove into the side of me in San Fran a few years ago, but the rental company had offered $0 excess on a promotion, so I just left the car with them and walked off), but I've always had it in the back of my mind that it would be a right bother to deal with.

Glad to hear it all got sorted out for you though!
The short-term answer was that it was simple and efficient getting a new car swapped out for the old. Aside from having to drive into the airport, everything was done quickly and smoothly with very few questions asked. The longer-term answer is that they filed the damage claim, and then they will decide whether it’s on them or whether to hold me accountable. If it’s the latter, I’ll have to go through the process of getting my insurance to pay for it, and my insurance came automatically through the credit card I used to rent the car.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Dude, I didn't know you had British genes (I mean, technically, I know all Americans have British genes, but... 😉), but you know, well done! 🇬🇧

Enjoying these updates very much, extremely envious. Keep 'em coming, Sir!
I’m American, as you’d tell right away from my accent, but my mother was English (as you’d tell right away by her accent). I was born in England and have dual citizenship.

One of the perks of this is that I was able to take three hours off from the rides at Universal yesterday and suffer watching England lose to Italy. :confused:

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Days Nine and Ten: Florida

I’ve never been to the Florida Universal parks, so I thought I’d do them properly: four days, on-site hotel, which comes with skip-the-lines passes. It’s very clear now, halfway through, that four days was a bit excessive: I could have covered everything in two days. But four days affords me a nice restful stay to break up the constant movement of the trip otherwise, and it’s allowed me to relax and soak up the best bits of the parks — and even to do my laundry this evening.

These parks have their detriments, most notably a wild over-reliance on simulator-and-screens rides that all feel similar.

But for me the main highlight far and away is the elaborate, spare-no-expense, detailed immersiveness of the parks’ Harry Potter areas and five Potter-themed rides. This is really quite phenomenal theming, rivaling anything at Disney, Europa, or Phantasialand — perhaps surpassing them all. Because I have oodles of time, I’m able to explore every hidden detail and passageway.

3DF4F949-AFC0-4268-BD9C-F61CC65BD9FB.jpeg
A312F0A1-867F-491B-8B5A-26219894717E.jpeg
Photos don’t do these areas justice. The Hogwarts castle may look like a model there, but it’s massive in person. And the 360-degree experience in the lanes can’t be captured by the camera.

Had two rides on Hagrid’s so far and enjoyed it more than I expected to. It’s a fun ride and the themed experience is so engaging from start to finish.

Velocicoaster is also a great ride. I’ve been on it only once so far, but that’ll change in the next two days. It’s filled with wild, aggressive inversions that any enthusiast will love. For me, it doesn’t seem like a top twenty coaster, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t awesome.

I’ve already ridden everything except the rapids and flume rides, which I’ll hit tomorrow. They look good. Then it’ll just be a matter of repeat rides and soaking it all up.

Recommend the Mythos restaurant in the park for fare far superior to the usual park stuff.

E9411D76-F2E0-43FA-A3CB-7A69CABD2CD8.jpeg

No idea why that’s the second photo that came through upside down, but maybe that almost works for such an inversion-based ride. ??

Attachments

• 65F6ED6D-6EF0-4739-9812-515E4E39BE68.jpeg
    65F6ED6D-6EF0-4739-9812-515E4E39BE68.jpeg
    152.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 089DF317-68CE-4F45-8A7E-73F327DA2D46.jpeg
    089DF317-68CE-4F45-8A7E-73F327DA2D46.jpeg
    152.3 KB · Views: 5

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
And does anyone know why in the world Coaster-Count considers this a coaster?

1626138318592.jpeg

The High in the Sky Seuss Trolley Train Ride. The title alone gives an accurate sense of what it is.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Because Mack built it and it uses 100% of the same tech involved in their actual powered coasters :|
Thankfully C-C lets you opt to mark that as ridden without it +1ing your account, if you choose so.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Because Mack built it and it uses 100% of the same tech involved in their actual powered coasters :|
Thankfully C-C lets you opt to mark that as ridden without it +1ing your account, if you choose so.
I managed to ride the other track today, which Coaster-Count considers a separate cred. :p
To my surprise, the narration and scenes are different on the two tracks, and they return to the station in a Möbius loop.
Oh, and this track actually had a gentle slope at one point — hardly makes it a roller coaster, but it helps a tad. :p

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Days Eleven, Twelve, and Thirteen: Florida/Georgia/Florida

I finished out my last two days at Universal with more and more of the same. Exhausted every ride of interest and went on many multiple times. The nighttime projection show on the side of Hogwarts Castle was far better than expected.

Then today I went to Wild Adventures, which, even without Cheetah, has a respectable six credits — albeit with the clear highlight for the locals being a typical (shaky, headbangy) SLC.

One kiddie coaster is a Zamperla Mini-Mouse, a model I hadn’t seen before (a combination of a kiddie coaster and a serpentine wild mouse). The op for the ride was an enthusiast, and he shared his hope for Cheetah being RMCd. He stressed that he didn’t know anything, but felt it was telling that the structure remains of the coaster with just the track ripped out. I later took the safari train which affords the best views of the Cheetah carcass, and it is true that the tracks have been conspicuously torn off the structure, although the remaining structure looks in pretty poor shape as well.

Wild Adventures is also partially a zoo, and while the enclosures were decent (nothing like the inhumane zoos I’ve seen in other countries), still they could have afforded the animals more space, and more shade and water in the baking Georgia heat.

I did go to a gator show that was more respectful and informative, rather than exploitative or filled with gimmicky stunts.

52D83920-7CAB-4ACF-B144-6675AE178FEF.jpeg
This enclosure could have used a river flow to flush the putrid water. Such watering holes certainly exist in the wild, but that hardly seems a standard for a zoo.

Ended out the day in Pensacola, Florida, where I visited Sam’s Fun City well over an hour before closing, but I was told the one guy who operates the major coaster goes home earlier. Decided I’ll try for it again in the morning, even though it’ll make the rest of tomorrow’s schedule shift later.

Last edited:

Eyebrows

Hyper Poster
And does anyone know why in the world Coaster-Count considers this a coaster?

View attachment 12555

The High in the Sky Seuss Trolley Train Ride. The title alone gives an accurate sense of what it is.
This is why I don’t count powered coasters at all. Not only is it a different ride experience than coasters, it opens up too many possibilities for creds that really shouldn’t be counted imo

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
This is why I don’t count powered coasters at all. Not only is it a different ride experience than coasters, it opens up too many possibilities for creds that really shouldn’t be counted imo
To be perfectly honest, I’m just too lazy or just can’t be fussed enough to make decisions about every coaster. I just let coaster-count decide everything for me, knowing that it also has a stricter count that doesn’t include anything iffy.
So, according to coaster-count my current number is 588, but my “strict” number is 566. So there’s a difference, of course, but not a huge one. Hasn’t happened yet, but if ever I were talking cred counts with someone who seems competitive about it, I wouldn’t hesitate to share the “strict” number. Otherwise, I’m happy to stay in coaster-count cruise control.