What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

Ryan posted another video, goes through the photo evidence we've seen, and what they're doing in those photos.

Pretty much still thinks it was the head sprocket. And, as I think most of us suspected, he's fairly certain it wasn't the chain guide or liner... This much work would be overkill for something like that.

It's a good question @CaliAngel, and to @Smithy's point (I was actually broaching this question with a friend who works in automotive advanced stress testing recently, to "How is it the wheel assembly eats it after 2 days of operation for TT2?"); there is no substitute for real-world cycling and wear testing. Even testing with water dummies/under a "controlled" circuit can miss some key elements that lead to advanced wear and tear. To my automotive friend backseat quarterbacking the roller coaster industry; he volunteered the rate of dispatch could be one such underlying factor that "broke" the coaster train's back - it's really hard to emulate or do dry run testing that truly demonstrates high dispatch rates during normal coaster operation. Another factor can also be temperature and warmer summer months, which you (obviously) cannot emulate if testing in winter/early spring.

On a broader perspective, we do see this to lesser extent with other roller coasters through the years, such as coaster manufacturers that toy with different wheel materials or adjust restraint positioning (e.g. making seatbelts shorter, or changing their mounting location), after so many months of observed regular operation. For whatever reason, 2024 is just bearing cascading coaster train design failures. 😅

I really do feel for Thorpe Park on this whole fiasco. Must've been such a frustrating situation for everyone involved!
Hopefully it will be back up and running with no more issues soon, and I'm sure they will have a great summer!

I did see this on Twitter earlier though which did make me laugh! ;)

Tbh that scared me for a sec before I clicked 😂

This is not confirmed by any means, but it is being suggested by Dean on X that Thorpe Park are aiming for a reopening on Tuesday 11th June:
It really would be absolutely typical if it did reopen on the 11th… seeing as I’m going on the 10th!

If this ends up being the case, I can’t believe I’ll have missed it by 1 day… that really is just my luck!

Now I’m just desperately hoping that the park are simply covering themselves, and the 11th June is the latest date they currently expect it to reopen…

This is not confirmed by any means, but it is being suggested by Dean on X that Thorpe Park are aiming for a reopening on Tuesday 11th June:
It really would be absolutely typical if it did reopen on the 11th… seeing as I’m going on the 10th!

If this ends up being the case, I can’t believe I’ll have missed it by 1 day… that really is just my luck!

Now I’m just desperately hoping that the park are simply covering themselves, and the 11th June is the latest date they currently expect it to reopen…
That's the day I fly out to Germany 😐

That's great to see her finally running again!!

Assuming it opens on the 11th June as rumoured do we expect we will see the crazy crowds we saw on day 1 & 2 all over again? Or will the initial hype now have died down a bit..? Considering going for opening day 2.0. but don't fancy the potential 6 hour queues..

With fewer days to plan ahead or news to spread; for a random middle of the weekday with the combined park hours; after the initial rush of day 1; the risk of further delays or unforeseen extended downtime - I sure do hope it will be much more pleasant queue the next time round.

Was stress testing extensively today. First started running at 9am, and had Rides Staff running it all day.

Was running 2 trains will about 1pm, then went down to one train.

Here's a nice video of them emptying the water from the test dummies:

Does seem like we are edging closer to re-opening. Hopefully early this week.
I expected it to be Monday... Seems like they were a day or two behind with the extension of Saw's closure...

Love these water videos btw. Nice one.

Hyperia has now tested with people.

A re-opening on the 11th is now looking pretty likely.

I could be wrong, but to me, it doesn’t look like a ride that’s opening today. The area still looked cordoned off with “No Entry to Hyperia” signs up, and the queue time sign outside appeared to say “Closed Today”.

This morning, they appeared to be stopping it at different points on the lift hill (at the bottom and then on the top) during their tests. It’s been testing on and off throughout the day, with varying amounts of test dummies (some empty trains, some full).

Hyperia being closed does have some upshots, however; I matched the ride count I got in just over 5 hours at LEGOLAND yesterday before 12pm, with 6 rides already done! I’m currently in the queue for my 7th.

On a side note; it’s a rather big thing in person, isn’t it?

It doesn't sound promising for today so gutted for you if not. Keep having a great day with what there is and there's always another down the line.

But yeah its a sight to behold in person. Just Hyperia's existance has levelled up my overall opinion of Thorpe.