What's new

Rides You Appreciate But Don't Love

jayjay

Giga Poster
I reckon most people have at least one ride that they've done, that they think is perfectly engineered. Maybe it looks great and has perfect pacing and flow, or it's got a lot of history, but for whatever reason, you just can't find any room in your heart to enjoy it so much. Interpret the question how you will.

I was inspired to do this topic by Twister at Gröna Lund. For those who haven't been, the park is a masterpiece of tight planning, where rides jump over and under each other at every opportunity. Twister is the best example: a postage stamp sized Gravity Group that somehow fits in an incredibly long and action packed layout, with airtime aplenty. But it just doesn't click as a ride I enjoy all that much.

Last edited:

TLARides

Hyper Poster
Wicked Twister is one. It's a good ride but I don't adore it at all. Just something to end the day off with or if there's nothing else open, ride it.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Twister is the best example: a postage stamp sized GCI that somehow fits in an incredibly long and action packed layout, with airtime aplenty. But it just doesn't click as a ride I enjoy all that much.

Completely agree with this, even though its a gravity group ;)

I'd also take a stab with Olympia Looping, its incredible looking and pretty forceful but I just dont love it because its not that good.

I think there a theme with rides that probably look better than they actually are, Hulk at IOA is a decent example although its still pretty decent.

Ispeed is a generic one that i feel like i should love a lot more than i actually do, great ride with a great layout that just didnt cut it for me, think the restraints played a substantial part in that though

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Like with the trim topic, I'll have to second Chris again. Olympia Looping is an iconic coaster and mighty impressive for a travelling coaster. But that's that. It really isn't anything great. The restraints tighten so much as well...

Twister is a coaster that I loved a lot more than I expected on the other hand.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
While I find Expedition GeForce amazing and had a wonderful time riding it, I don't have the same emotional connection than with Goliath WH or even Superman: the Ride. EGF is really effective and the best executed of the three when it comes to airtime, but Goliath has the nostalgia of being my first big airtime machine. S:tR has the mesmerizing John Williams fanfare and a longer, taller layout that feels majestic next to the river.

GeForce still ranks #1 in my book, but rather by cold logic than sentimental judgement-making.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
I think X2 is amazing, and I'm even a fan of it in the sense that when I see others express appreciation for it, it pleases me on some level. However, I can't say that I personally enjoy it. As I've said elsewhere on this forum recently, it's the only ride out there that I find too intense to enjoy and love.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Revolution at SFMM comes to mind since I don't think it's anything great. However, I simply appreciate the loop being there for its importance, and it shows just how far roller coasters have gone with Tatsu above it and X2 next door.

I think something similar could be said about the Coney Island Cyclone and Matterhorn Bobsleds. They were both a bit rough, but I can appreciate what they were and how important and iconic they are.

I would also say Boomerangs. It's a thrill ride that's adorable with 3 (or 6) inversions that doesn't take up much space at all. I even enjoy them to a degree. I appreciate the option that exists for parks, and I would say the same for smaller Eurofighters.

Lastly, Twisted Colossus. It is a very, very good ride, but I just don't really love it. However, I appreciate the ambition of a ride with two chain lifts that race each other. It's just a creative idea!

zombieface

Roller Poster
Matterhorn has gotten too painful for my back, but it is a very cool ride with excellent theming I can appreciate.
I also think that Full Throttle, while a very fun ride with some insane elements, just doesn't come together and has a "eh that was fine" vibe.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
I305.
Nothing wrong with it exactly, just not my kinda ride. The giga coaster lift hill combined with a launch coaster layout, just seems like a bit of a mismatch.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Yeah Olympia Looping is a great example. Not a great ride experience, but fantastic to watch and the fact it's a travelling coaster is astounding.

Vekoma Boomerangs deserve another mention too. They're not all that pleasant to ride, but to fit in a thrill ride, with inversions, forward and backward elements, and a decent ride time, it is impressive.

Non-coaster wise, Dreamflight at Efteling springs to mind. I didn't love it and was left feeling a bit 'meh' when everyone else was blown away. But I can truly appreciate the theming and the finale for what it is.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
I'm gonna go with Mean Streak (and to be clear, I'm talking about the old, much disparaged, version ;)):

I actually found it decent to ride but that aside, I was just mesmerised with the structure. I know there are other huge woodies out there, but Mean Streak really left a visual impact that I haven't felt from another woodie of its scale or era. It' was just incredible to look at; so big, and so intimidating. While there was nothing really to 'love' about the on-ride experience, I felt a great appreciation for its other aspects. It must have been such a huge deal back in its prime. I know most people ridiculed it because of the rough/dull ride experience, but I do feel it deserves at least a modicum of respect. I can't wait to ride the new RMC conversion, but I'll also have some fond memories of it in its original form.

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
This will be controversial as **** - but for me It's Taron. I really appreciate its beauty and concept and its awesomeness ! But to me personally its a bit TOO intense.... I appreciate what It does to people! but I guess I don't like the totally out of control sideways fling-y feeling - and just couldn't bond with it because of it! Tha'ts just a personal thing - I think its awesome for what it is - and I don't think its 'BAD' at all! I suppose its not my 'level'.

Last edited:

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
I think Blackpool is a good once for me. I appreciate the wooden coasters for their age without liking some of them. I also appreciate how iconic the Big One is and I like it's layout, but I haven't properly enjoyed it before. But most of all Steeplechase which is a one of it's kind 3-way racing coaster where you get to ride on individual horses! Whew!

jayjay

Giga Poster
This will be controversial as :emoji_zipper_mouth: - but for me It's Taron. I really appreciate its beauty and concept and its awesomeness ! But to me personally its a bit TOO intense.... I appreciate what It does to people! but I guess I don't like the totally out of control sideways fling-y feeling - and just couldn't bond with it because of it! Tha'ts just a personal thing - I think its awesome for what it is - and I don't think its 'BAD' at all! I suppose its not my 'level'.
Ballsy choice, but I get where you're coming from. Actually on my first ride, on a cold October morning, I thought it was quite tame bar a couple of insane airtime moments. But I wouldn't have denied the design and aesthetics were obscenely good (then I rode it in other conditions and now it's number 2).

What did you make of Raik?

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
Ballsy choice, but I get where you're coming from. Actually on my first ride, on a cold October morning, I thought it was quite tame bar a couple of insane airtime moments. But I wouldn't have denied the design and aesthetics were obscenely good (then I rode it in other conditions and now it's number 2).

What did you make of Raik?

I liked Raik! - I loved the Klugheim area full stop! And to clarify I would still class Taron in my top 10 - its just not 1 or 2 for me! I hurt my neck on it - so I think that clouded my view of it - and because my neck seized up - subsequent rides we'rent that comfortable and I was trying to brace myself the whole time instead of 'letting go' and enjoying the out-of-control-feeling but on another visit I'd love to ride again!

Another for me would be WODAN - appreciate but don't love, just too twisty for a woodie without much airtime to compensate! I preferred Troy!