What's new

Most Overrated Coasters You've Been On?

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
FLY. I don't understand the hype at all with that one. Sure the Rookburgh area looks great, but as a ride experience it's so uncomfortable, lumbering and sickly. Plus, the launches are underwhelming.

Skyrush, Helix, Lightning Rod and Leviathan also get my vote.

massam

Roller Poster
Since the Overrated Parks thread got a ton of replies, why not do it, but with coasters? Share your opinion in the comments!
Time Traveler. I love the ride, it’s one of my favorites. But it’s no where near as intense as it’s made to be.

AidanCKY

Mega Poster
FLY. I don't understand the hype at all with that one. Sure the Rookburgh area looks great, but as a ride experience it's so uncomfortable, lumbering and sickly. Plus, the launches are underwhelming.

I definately would never say my #1 or anything, but I found it a really special coaster.

The theming is amazing, the experience of going through the queue and station ambience adds a lot to it. The ride experience itself, the transition to flying position is cool, and it just feels like a powerful flying machine to me, you're being constantly pulled through at great force.

I didn't find it uncomfortable or lumbering. I do think it can make you a bit queasy though depending on where you look, but i've found that with a lot of rides as i've gotten older.

Heth

Mega Poster
I definately would never say my #1 or anything, but I found it a really special coaster.

The theming is amazing, the experience of going through the queue and station ambience adds a lot to it. The ride experience itself, the transition to flying position is cool, and it just feels like a powerful flying machine to me, you're being constantly pulled through at great force.

I didn't find it uncomfortable or lumbering. I do think it can make you a bit queasy though depending on where you look, but i've found that with a lot of rides as i've gotten older.

I am very paranoid about nausea on rides, and was forewarned about FLY. I made sure to ride front row every time and focus straight ahead at all times. By doing this I had no nausea and enjoyed the ride thoroughly. However, I could tell that had I not been able to focus ahead (e.g. in a later row) I'd have felt awful.

bob_3_

Giga Poster

Yeah I wanted to like FLY so much, after staying in Charles Lindburgh, the presentation and music. But I didn't have a ride on it that didn't make me feel pretty nauseous and uncomfortable. I do understand why people love it though so its hard for me to say its overrated. I'm glad I'm not the only one who struggled to have a good time with it.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Superman El Ultimo Escape — a gently undulating monorail with a lovely view. Many others seem to have ridden a coaster by the same name with amazing forces.

Gazza

Giga Poster
I was disappointed they didn't have the EDM playing in the morning, they only turned it on later in the afternoon.

The queue was interesting, its like they briefed the architect into making cattle pens an architectural statement. If there was actual theming in between all the walkways (like in Hulk) it would be amazing.

Tomatron

Giga Poster

Lightning Rod was such a let down this year. It felt nowhere near as fast or crazy as it used to before the reworking. And it's still just as unreliable!

I like it, but I get the FLY thing because there's not a single flying coaster that is comfortable to ride, as you're completely prone. At least on FLY no-one can see you when you get switched to the flying position cos that's never a pretty sight.

I'm also putting in another vote for Skyrush and one for Shambhala - but I'd like to give it another go cos it was running like garbage.

Velocicoaster was a big let-down for me. It was a great ride and very rerideable, but not the game-changer everyone makes out. I'd take Taron and Maverick (never thought I'd say that) over it any day.

Voyage I have tried twice for two whole days to like, but only half the ride (the first half) is any good. It crashes back to the station from the triple down onwards.

The big one for me is still Boulder Dash. I was expecting a top 5 coaster and I'm not sure it even gets top 50.

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Lightning Rod was such a let down this year. It felt nowhere near as fast or crazy as it used to before the reworking. And it's still just as unreliable!

I like it, but I get the FLY thing because there's not a single flying coaster that is comfortable to ride, as you're completely prone. At least on FLY no-one can see you when you get switched to the flying position cos that's never a pretty sight.

I'm also putting in another vote for Skyrush and one for Shambhala - but I'd like to give it another go cos it was running like garbage.

Velocicoaster was a big let-down for me. It was a great ride and very rerideable, but not the game-changer everyone makes out. I'd take Taron and Maverick (never thought I'd say that) over it any day.

Voyage I have tried twice for two whole days to like, but only half the ride (the first half) is any good. It crashes back to the station from the triple down onwards.

The big one for me is still Boulder Dash. I was expecting a top 5 coaster and I'm not sure it even gets top 50.
I first posted in this thread before visiting Florida... Now I've been I'd completely agree with this. Velocicoaster is incredible, sure, but it hasn't even made my top 5, and I haven't ridden many coasters. It just doesn't flow as well as I'd expected it to.

Also, nice to see I'm not alone on Helix. I honestly thought that coaster was generally considered the darling of the enthusiast world.

Indy

Hyper Poster
I'm just here to say that I’m disgusted and disappointed in all of you and your slanderous talk about Helix.

I’m honestly a bit perplexed/amused/some-sort-of-emotion about the Helix queue comments though. Maybe it’s because I’m American and come from the land of endless barren blocks of switchback queues so literally any effort at all makes the queue interesting, but I quite liked the Helix queue and its labyrinth-like quirkiness. Alas, "to each their own" or some garbage.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Seems I got lucky with Lightning Rod this year - got warned it was plodding but ended up thinking it was outrageous. Best airtime on an RMC - yeah I said it, come at me!!! *fighting stance*

@Nicky Borrill get yourself on Maverick to complete the set (Taron, VC, Mav) and then you can swear your allegiance to your favourite. It’s the only way.

Team Mav 4eva 😍

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I'm just here to say that I’m disgusted and disappointed in all of you and your slanderous talk about Helix.

I’m honestly a bit perplexed/amused/some-sort-of-emotion about the Helix queue comments though. Maybe it’s because I’m American and come from the land of endless barren blocks of switchback queues so literally any effort at all makes the queue interesting, but I quite liked the Helix queue and its labyrinth-like quirkiness. Alas, "to each their own" or some garbage.

To be fair, I loved the queue line :) Got a bit tedious when they refused to open any shortcuts despite being so quiet they were sending empty trains... But that shouldn't take away from the effort. It's a decent queue. :)

Seems I got lucky with Lightning Rod this year - got warned it was plodding but ended up thinking it was outrageous. Best airtime on an RMC - yeah I said it, come at me!!! *fighting stance*

@Nicky Borrill get yourself on Maverick to complete the set (Taron, VC, Mav) and then you can swear your allegiance to your favourite. It’s the only way.

Team Mav 4eva 😍

This year or next :)

But we've all got to do a couple of new ones in Europe too, don't forget... ;)

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I think there are several Intamin coasters that wouldn't be too happy with you calling (Taron, VC, Mav) "the set" 😂
I don't even consider Maverick to be part of the set to be honest... Old style restraints 🤮🤮🤮 (Being tall.) It's got a mountain to climb for me before I've even ridden it.

Got me wondering though, how many LSM intamins, with the new style restraints, and excluding clones, (sorry Chinese Taron) are out there?

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
I think there are several Intamin coasters that wouldn't be too happy with you calling (Taron, VC, Mav) "the set" 😂

Nah that’s the set - yeah I said it, come at me!!! *fighting stance*

I just want to fight, basically. Foiiightin’ round the wooooorld 🎶

Hydraulic launches and ‘backwards majgiggas’ are excluded from my ‘top tier Intamin multi-launch’ category. Taiga, the ones in china and all of the others that would be applicable also don’t count because they would make me wrong.