What's new

Most Overrated Coasters You've Been On?

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
This is an easy one. Nearly everyone else I know who’s been to Six Flags Mexico went on a different Superman El Ultimo Escape than I did, and their coaster sounds amazing. The Superman El Ultimo Escape I went on was a glorified monorail, with no drop, no airtime, terrible operations, and almost no intensity — with the view being its only strong point.

Inverting_Thrills

Mega Poster
Montu: I'm not sure why but my rides on Montu were very underwhelming. The positives were there but they didn't do a whole lot for me as I didn't find them to be very sustained whereas my home park's invert, Batman: the Ride, has some of the must sustained positives I've ever experienced.

Iron Gwazi: Don't get me wrong Iron Gwazi is a phenomenal coaster but in my eyes it's not quite as good as people say it is. I found the outerbank, death roll, and stall to be somewhat weaker elements. Iron Gwazi is still a top 5 coaster for me it's just not quite as good as people say it is.

Gemini: I'm gonna be completely honest here, and this is coming from quite an Arrow fan, this ride is awful. It's not the roughness, I don't really mind that, It's just got such a boring layout. The ride has 3 long drawn out turns that give absolutely nothing, a forceless helix, and airtime hills that give absolutely nothing. My expectations for this ride were low and it didn't even meet those.

CoasterGoji_501

Roller Poster
il probably sleep for the fishes with this one but GhostRider at knotts is infuriatingly overrated. i wont (try) to much into detail but overall GhostRider is
  1. forceless
  2. has a rattle (even after 2016 retrack)
  3. atrocity of capacity
  4. does not really have the airtime i though it would have
  5. rough around helix

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
Nemesis - Here's a big, controversial one! I did this in 2018 before I really seriously kicked off my coaster career, and was doing the lap of Towers. Due to my unfortunate encounters with Alton Towers I wasn't immersed into the area at all and my exact thoughts seeing the ride for the first time was "oh hey there's the world class coaster". Since I had to Fast Track the ride I was assigned back row and outside of the helix being really intense, the whole rest of the ride was just underwhelming. The turnaround before the loop I thought would be fantastic, then I just kinda trundled through it. The loop literally did nothing. I remember thinking "awww" when the train just kind of went around the loop. Don't remember anything else, probably a reason for that.

I came off disappointly nonchalant about having just ridden the world's most intense rollercoaster experience and made my way to Galactica.

I have Inferno ranked significantly higher than Nemesis, and I'm a bit tired of telling everyone "nemesis was just okay". I am desperate for a reride of Nemesis this time in the front row, and I've heard endlessly good screaming about how fantastic the front row is. I honestly can't wait to try again, but I haven't returned for almost four years now due to its comically inconvenient location. I wish I loved this ride more.
I realised this back in April but I realise what's happened here with my Nemesis rides.

So storytime. I was at Thorpe back in April where I rode Stealth and put my (expensive) glasses into the storage rectangles. After nabbing a front row ride I go back to collect my glasses only to find that they're gone. I am very very short sighted without them. Cue tens of frantic phone calls to family and asking employees what I can do, while fully accepting I'm gonna need to shell out another 200something quid while being basically useless in the week leading up to it, if I could even find my way home. Went to the seat guy. He said go to guest services.

They said to return to guest services at the end of the day to see if any lost glasses had been returned. They said no so I had a couple hours to wait out. I miserably got a kebab, miserably ate it, then miserably entered the Nemesis Inferno queue. Asked the guy in front if he'd picked up the wrong glasses. He hadn't.

Miserably entered into the back row and miserably dispatched. We crested the lift and the layout went, and it was by far the most forceless ride I'd ever had on Inferno. But this ride gave me a realisation... this is EXACTLY what happened with my Nemesis ride. I rode it in a negative and wrong mindset, not in the right way to enjoy the experience in any shape or form. None of the elements hit as a result of not being able to focus on the coaster.

I don't like my Nemesis opinion at all because I just know it's wrong. I would love to get on it and experience its full potential. But the park is just impossibly difficult to get to.

At the end of the day I realised I hadn't checked the Stealth photo booth, and lo and behold I found my glasses as they'd been returned by someone who mistook them for theirs. I praise that person who returned them every single day.

TheTalbotHound

Roller Poster
Smiler - Fun ride, whippy and disorienting, a bit of positives too. But very little airtime on the hills compared to other Gerstlauers like Saw or Lynet, at least when i rode it, and that horrible transition on the second half of the cobra roll. Slammed my head into the restraint every time.

Big Dipper - Was pretty solid, but best woodie in the park? When Grand Nash is there as well?

Wicker Man - Better than Thirteen as family coasters go, but pacing is way too slow after the first few drops and bumps. Loses steam very quickly.

Juvelen - The launch into the second half is great and the whip on the transitions after it is really violent (almost uncomfortably violent with the horrible restraints), especially for a family coaster. Barely any vertical forces though. The length of its trains really holds the layout back. Really hoping to see something like this but with trains more like those from Thirteen. Lower heartline so aggressive whip would be more comfortable, and shorter trains to allow the layout to have some vertical forces.

Helix - Fantastic ride, still a definite top 4 for me, and maybe i'm suffering from home park syndrome and stuff getting stale after almost 100 rides on it, but even when fully warmed up (which takes shockingly long for these mack trains), it lacks the aggression of my top 2. I don't particularly enjoy the hangtime on the first or last inversion either.

Wildfire (Kolmarden) - This was my first RMC, and no matter how much i tried to temper my expectations, i can't ignore the RMC hype machine that is out there. This ride is how i found out that stalls do nothing for me. Has some nice whippy transitions and a few good pops of airtime but i was expecting more airtime. Also no positive Gs, and i don't particularly like laterals so the weird lateral hill that pins you upwards i just found uncomfortable. The novelty of these weird elements wears off after the first ride. Not to mention the pacing gets worse in the 2nd half. I prefer Icon, but if this ride had a few more airtime moments in the 2nd half and made the lateral hill into an outerbank, they would be switched around.

RevolutionRuleZ

Mega Poster
Big One: Its an amazing first drop and a great ending, but everything inbetween is rather dull. With steeper drops it could have been so much more.

Icon: It slots in mid table amongst the other coasters at the park, i prefer all 3 wooden coasters, the Rev and the Big One despite what I have just said about it. I really don't get how it can be so many peoples favourite.

Swarm: its a good, fun coaster, but its far too tame to deserve to be in the parks top 3 IMO.

Cyclone (Pleasureland): if it were still here it would be without doubt the weakest wooden coaster in the country by some distance (excluding the likes of Blue Flyer and Antalope) and while its destruction is not something I'd ever of wanted, I don't get why its been spoken of so highly since 2006. This country has lost far better but equally as historic coasters in the Bob's, Reel, Tornado and both Wild Mouse coasters, none of which seem to be mourned as much as the Cyclone.

rob666

Hyper Poster
The Cyclone only got crap because it was neglected.
Back in the late sixties, it used to fly back in to the station.
It crawled round by the end, a poor shadow of its former self.
The Reel though...

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Shambhala - Granted I've only ridden it in arctic temps but I was promised lots of airtime and got next to none
Goliath (Walibi) - Surely everyone agrees this is a bit naff, so can't be classed as overrated
Balder - Nope, didn't get on with it, prefer both the other pre-fabs I've ridden
Icon - Just because it's better than 90% of the crap in the UK does not make it a world beater

RestlessRider

Roller Poster
Lightning Rod - The uphill launch and the quad-down are fun, but the middle part of the ride provides only mild thrills for me. It's still one of my top 30 coasters, but I don't get how it's consistently ranked as one of the top 10 coasters in the world. Of the 13 RMCs I've ridden, I put it at #11.
Nitro/Mako - Like a lot of B&M hypers, they are fun and smooth with lots of floater air, but they do nothing to get my heart pounding. While riding these, I always find myself saying, "Come on. Go faster. Do more."
Voyage - It's gotten too rough. I like the layout and the length, but I always end up with a headache.
Ravine Flyer II - Another one that is too rough. Also, the layout didn't provide me with any "wow" moments.
Velocicoaster - Overrated for DAY rides. This is one of my top 5 coasters (out of 320) but only because of night rides which are absolutely awesome, especially in the front! I LOVE this thing at night. However, day rides are boring in comparison. Other than the launches, the day rides feel like they meander through the first half. The second half during the day is good, but not even close to how awesome it is at night.

Last edited:

Ries

Mega Poster
Untamed: I just don't get this rmc-thingy.
And in a way Wodan was over advertised to me, when I first got on it. Sure, was a nice, long ride. But one ride every EuropaPark visit is enough.

Matt N

CF Legend
Since I last posted in this thread, I’ve been to Europa Park… and I have to say that, while excellent, Blue Fire didn’t quite live up to the hype for me. Don’t get me wrong, it’s an excellent coaster, a solid 9/10, and just about makes the bottom part of my top 10, but I’d always been told that it would blow me away and I’d like it far more than Icon. I definitely prefer Icon myself, and Blue Fire certainly isn’t 10/10 tier for me like Silver Star and Wodan are. It was just missing something to make it truly top tier for me, and I can’t quite place my finger on what.

I have to say that I’m also very surprised at how highly many enthusiasts rate Euro-Mir. Each to their own and all that, but I didn’t like it at all… it’s quite possibly a bottom 10 coaster for me, and most certainly my least favourite at Europa. I only rode it once during my 3 day trip, and while I concede that it is forceful in places, my overriding memory is that it was shockingly rough…

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
After my US trips this year, there were a few rides that weren’t to my palate, but the one that stands out as being overrated is Skyrush.

It’s unconventionally bullish and unfriendly, which gives it an appealing anti-social bite, but all its strengths are outclassed by RMCs, which also beat it in variety and quality of the layout. Comfort is middling, with some heavy rattling in the valleys.

It also has a ‘prototype / not executed well’ feel about it, which is something that I also associate with Furius Baco.

We were done after two rides.

I expected it to be punching in the top 10 but in the end it didn’t come close to breaking my top 30.

Last edited:

Disco Lumberjack

Roller Poster
One that I haven't seen mentioned is Joris en de Draak, these aren't generally considered top tier rides, but given what I had heard I was expecting better than Wicker Man and found them to have a few too many dead spots compared to it.

uwurawrus

Roller Poster
Velocicoaster. don't get me wrong, it's fantastic but compared to the other intamins i've ridden it's definitely less aggressive and looking back on povs of other recent intamins and based on what i've also heard about others (pantheon, kondaa) I think they all look like they're following in the same path and i'm now much less excited for toutatis than i was years ago.

Shambhala. Really don't vibe with those longer trains. first drop is great. rest of the airtime just feels... off. Was ok. Nothing special.

Montu. Then again I rode it the day it reopened from the repaint, so I was expecting it to run slow but it was still super underwhelming. Didn't feel any of the incredible force others seem to rave about.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
Velocicoaster. don't get me wrong, it's fantastic but compared to the other intamins i've ridden it's definitely less aggressive and looking back on povs of other recent intamins and based on what i've also heard about others (pantheon, kondaa) I think they all look like they're following in the same path and i'm now much less excited for toutatis than i was years ago.

Shambhala. Really don't vibe with those longer trains. first drop is great. rest of the airtime just feels... off. Was ok. Nothing special.

Montu. Then again I rode it the day it reopened from the repaint, so I was expecting it to run slow but it was still super underwhelming. Didn't feel any of the incredible force others seem to rave about.
Interesting points!

Shambhala is one of my personal favourites, but it's definitely a back row special. I personally cannot fault it, though I do wish it did more after the MCBR.
Velocicoaster, I do have to say it's nothing like Kondaa however. They are both ride very different beasts. Kondaa is a lot more aggressive and wacky with the outerbank turns, ridiculous bunny hops and non-inverting cobra roll. Velocicoaster seemed to be more about the near-misses and crazy hangtime.

Indy

Hyper Poster
Oh boy, where do I start?

Millennium Force - I'm sure I don't need to explain.

Maverick - Don't get me wrong, it's good. It's really really good. But is it #1 material? No. Is it top ten material? I would also say no.

Goliath (Walibi Holland) - It was fun, but much tamer than I ever expected given the hype. I'm sure it felt legendary 20 years ago. The last three airtime hills were nice though.

Dueling Dragons - Lots of straight track and lousy endings. It's goodness was heavily dependent on the dueling aspect and it lost a lot when that aspect went away. Fire's wraparound Immelman was the only redeeming element.

Superman The Ride - Once upon a time it was great, but the newer trains with lap bars that land mid-thigh are absolutely awful and make it very difficult to enjoy.

Twisted Colossus - You will never convince me that a coaster with a 60 second intermission is a great ride. Sorry 'bout it.

Nitro - I mean, it's one of my favorite mine trains.
I could certainly add quite a few to my previous list, but one that I completely forgot which is guaranteed to make me slip into a Robert Downey Jr. eye roll every time I hear/see it is Big Bad Wolf. I still, for the life of me, cannot comprehend what people saw in this ride. It was certainly unique, but nothing remarkable whatsoever. The drop down to the river was nice but you almost immediately found yourself in the brakes. It was quite a bit of a let down.

Gazza

Giga Poster
It's not a coaster, but can I nominate every ghost train, particularly the ones everyone speaks about like Bla Taget at Grona Lund or the one at Knoebels.

Every ghost train feels the same, are non memorable, I've literally never ridden one and wanted to get back in line to appreciate it more.

AidanCKY

Mega Poster
il probably sleep for the fishes with this one but GhostRider at knotts is infuriatingly overrated. i wont (try) to much into detail but overall GhostRider is
  1. forceless
  2. has a rattle (even after 2016 retrack)
  3. atrocity of capacity
  4. does not really have the airtime i though it would have
  5. rough around helix
It is funny how opinions can vary so much! I absolutely loved GhostRider, I wasnt expecting much but just found its pacing and airtime to be impressive!

For me i'd say Wicker Man at Alton Towers, it gets so much hype. It does look really impressive, but it could have done so much more in that space.

Climb

Mega Poster
I was concerned going through each page that no one had mentioned the coaster that sprung to mind and wondering if people would get the pitchforks ready but someone mentioned it on the last page.

Blue Fire (sorry) - I love that the rock work interacts with the coaster itself and it's super fun but aside from the final inversion I just find it just ok? And the launch is as dull as anything. Still like it but I would equate it being "overrated" for me probably because everyone praises it to the high heavens.

Wicked Cyclone - I was shocked to discover this made several Golden Ticket lists as this ride was so forgettable for me despite riding it 4/5 times. It's my only RMC credit thus far but it did nothing for me.