What's new

Luna Park Sydney | New Area & Park Overhaul | 2021

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I've always been curious with these tyre launches; does the whole bank of tyres increase in speed down the length or is each wheel faster than the last?
All the tyres increase speed at once - before the train reaches the launch, the tyres match the speed of the train coming into the launch, and then all the tyres speed up to the top speed all together.
I just remembered this cool video showing off Juvelen's tyre launch close up - helps show how these tyre launches works.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Any idea why it runs a second time?
The guy who made the video said in the comments section that he believes it's to do with the power draw. So from what I can gather, each launch acts as a flywheel for the other so the energy from one launch spinning at max speed is transferred to the other launching the train, hence the tyres stop spinning just as the train hits the second launch. You can see the second launch revving at max speed right at the start of the video.

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
The guy who made the video said in the comments section that he believes it's to do with the power draw. So from what I can gather, each launch acts as a flywheel for the other so the energy from one launch spinning at max speed is transferred to the other launching the train, hence the tyres stop spinning just as the train hits the second launch. You can see the second launch revving at max speed right at the start of the video.
Ah wait - is this one of those hydraulic tyre launches? Would make sense if they're all hooked up to one hydraulic circuit. Would seem gratuitous if electric...

EDIT: Re-read your message and think I misunderstood. Yeah, I suppose that would work as a electrical energy recovery system too.

Last edited:

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Ah wait - is this one of those hydraulic tyre launches? Would make sense if they're all hooked up to one hydraulic circuit. Would seem gratuitous if electric...

EDIT: Re-read your message and think I misunderstood. Yeah, I suppose that would work as a electrical energy recovery system too.
From what I know Juvelen is hydraulic, but I believe this coaster uses an electric system.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Looks a bit more on the shaky side than a raptor.
Yeah, but not by much I don't reckon. I reckon a lot of that would be fixed by a decent mount and stabilisation. I don't think that would feel as rough as it looks.

I remember seeing similar 'complaints' (for lack of a better word) about Jersey Devil and Stunt Pilot's original POVs, but I don't seem to think people think they're bad at all to ride.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
From the few reviews I have seen so far, people are saying that this ride is rather rattly. I'm coining the term "single rail syndrome" - it seems to affect this and Jersey Devil, where you can feel a jolt between every track segment.

Apart from that it seems to be relatively well received, not too intense but with a few forceful moments.