What's new

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: Future Predictions

Howie

Donkey in a hat
I know there was a rumour about a launched coaster that went 'out to sea' around in 2004 - if I remember rightly, the idea was canned for reasons of finance and practicality, but in retrospect, that may have been total crap as well?

No, that was definitely a thing. I mean, obviously it didn't happen, but I'm fairly sure it was more than just a wild rumour. I've no idea how far along the planning stages it actually got, but I seem to recall seeing vague (but convincing) circumstantial evidence that it was at least 'considered'. The Bigger One, they called it! 🤣

rob666

Hyper Poster
I listened to all the bull at the time, and never heard from a single decent source that it was really planned.
Nothing more than fanboy chat and a junior park manager with a sense of humour.
I did see the site of the "supposed footers" being placed on the prom as they were being built...nothing more than brick patterns in the prom surface, there was no additional foundation whatsoever.
They can't get the Big One to run properly when it is a bit breezy, the bigger one would have been closed more often than it would have been open.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Been thinking about this one recently and, giving away my thoughts immediately, as much as I heart Pleasure Beach, I don’t think there’s much to get excited about in the longer term.

It’s undeniable that Amanda has cleaned up the park. It glistens like a fountain in the summer sun. Front of house is nice. It’s safer because scum can’t freely walk in off the street (in addition to jackboot heel clicking security guards). There are some nice touches, and investments have been solid...but you’ll struggle to name something incredibly groundbreaking.

What have we got in the last decade or so? Beavers Creek, Gold Mine, and now Valhalla, have all been tarted up. A relocated SLC which looks good above the water. Red Arrows (great ride type imo). And, of course, Icon, which is a must ride on every visit to the park but it’s nothing most of us haven’t experienced before. What’s been removed? Nothing that people will miss too much, but are the rides that older guests cling to the memories of - Spin Doctor, Space Invader Deux, Log Flume, Trauma Towers, Wild Mouse, Noah’s Ark...even then white tower restaurant!

I’ll reiterate the same point again - I love the Pleasure Beach and think it’s on an upwards curve. Although the currently management is sensible and doing a damn fine job to ensure it survives for another century, what’s lacking is a ride visionary. Leonard Thompson, and then his son, Geoffrey, were visionaries. They were responsible for many of the main attractions that are still at the park today. Amanda has only been in charge for about 15 years so it would be wrong to judge her legacy so prematurely. Perhaps her impact will be more aesthetic than thrilling and entertaining? It’s one ride removed to make way for others, stable, suitable investments.

Where’s that balls deep, throw caution to the wind “build this no matter what” attitude that, if done right, can pay off nicely? Geoffrey did so with Biggun and Valhalla, and if we look over to Scandinavia, so has my hero Peter Osbeck of Grona Lund (he once said to me, “everything is possible at Grona Lund, Ian!). Many parks chase the dream.

Taller, faster, longer is not always better, but I’d love to see an outrageous risk or something really innovative at the Pleasure Beach. Something to keep the spirit alive! But will that ever happen anytime soon? Nope.

FarleyFlavors

Mega Poster
What’s been removed? [...] Noah’s Ark
This has probably been asked before but - what's the situation with Noah's Ark? Now that it's Grade II listed, presumably they can't tear it down or even alter it in any significant way. Is it just going to sit there in limbo for the forseeable future?

Also, the listing entry on the Historic England site claims that the boat rocking mechanism "still rocks daily via the original mechanism". Do they really start the ride up every day? Seems a tad unlikely...

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I can’t recall on my previous visit if the boats etc are still moving. Can’t say I’ve paid any attention. Guess it just sat there rotting away.

Sorry to bump this thread a bit, but I'm considering what the next ride will be for Blackpool Pleasure Beach, where will it be and when. Interested to see what you all think

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
Need a large fire/demolision first preferably by the sh*tty arcade/dome be a good start & tbh with the work they've done to Big Dipper i'd like to see it on all woodies

God have mercy

Roller Poster
Would love to see a Vekoma Bermuda Blitz on the Bollowdrome sight. A proper intense airtime coaster with a few inversions and a staple ride for the north side of the park. Would look neat over the skyline and be good for interactions.

God have mercy

Roller Poster
I would like Pleasure Beach go all out on Big Dippers 100th Anniversary.
It's a legendary staple piece in the UK theme park industry. Give it some retracking where needed. Get an artist to do some drawings of the dipper and a timeline inside the station. Have operators wear 1920s/1930s uniform, have some swing and jazz and George Formby playing inside the station. Get the sign light up again on the lift hill.
Last but not least it would be nice for queen Lizzy send the dipper a 100th birthday card and have that framed inside the station but that's just wishful.

Peet

Giga Poster
It could do with a bit of maintenance to be fair! It's a listed structure so not much risk of removal.
It's bad news for me though as I'm thinking of going in November and I love that ride, despite all the bumps and bruises.