What's new

Emerald Park News/Discussion

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I mean they are owned by Ireland's largest crisp company so I have no worries about their short term finances.
Brilliant synergy with business there, really. They always have something to offer to customers.

Nice weather/holiday/days off/weekends/etc.: "Hey, everyone, how about going to a theme park?"

Crappy weather/mid-week/Covid/etc.: "Hey, everyone, how about staying indoors to eat some potato flakes?"

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Official statement from the park about the news:

Today, Tayto Park, Ireland’s only theme park and zoo, was granted approval from An Bord Pleanálafor the construction of two new steel intertwining rollercoasters. The rollercoasters, which represent a total investment of €15million by Tayto Park, will create 40 new jobs in the area.

Speaking on the announcement, Founder of Tayto Park, Raymond Coyle said, “I am thrilled with the news of our planning approval. The construction of the rollercoasters will mark our largest single investment in our 11 years in business. This announcement will not only bring the latest cutting-edge attractions for our visitors to enjoy but will also add employment to the local economy”.

Tayto Park has spent over €1,500,000 on noise reduction methods to secure planning for the attractions at the theme park and zoo located in Ashbourne, Co. Meath.

Rollercoaster Details;

Suspended Coaster

Length:748m

Height 31m

Capacity 1000 People Per Hour

Speed 100kph

Boomerang

Length:221M

Height 24.2m

Capacity: 720P.P.H

Speed: 70kph Forward & 60KPH Backward

COMING SOON! We look forward to welcoming you all back to Tayto Park, exciting times are ahead!!

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
The STC is quite a bit faster than Hals' 80kph top speed. Likely because this drops into an underground trench, as well as being a metre taller.

Shame it's a slightly shorter ride though, but hey if anything it should mean a better speed throughout.

Last edited:

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
This is fantastic news. I always liked the foundation that the park had laid around the time they opened Cú Chulainn, but it's great to see them in a position to properly up their game. It's been ages since I visited the park, and with the addition of these two new coasters, that'll definitely catapult Tayto up the bucket list of parks I'll be keen to revisit.

wrc555

Roller Poster
I mean they are owned by Ireland's largest crisp company so I have no worries about their short term finances.

Also, I guess one good thing has come out of this whole ordeal. The coasters had to be re-designed from the originally planned Tripsdrill variants, meaning custom layouts instead of clones.
I could be wrong, but I think they sold the crisp company or at least a majority share in in a couple of years back, so are using the name on a rolling agreement since then. Seem to recall the owners saying they wanted the park to grow organically to some extent with new rides only being added once the attendance justified it, so hopefully Covid wont have impacted them too much as its great to see their ambition to continue growing.

Irishbhoy1967

Roller Poster

Also, I guess one good thing has come out of this whole ordeal. The coasters had to be re-designed from the originally planned Tripsdrill variants, meaning custom layouts instead of cl

I could be wrong, but I think they sold the crisp company or at least a majority share in in a couple of years back, so are using the name on a rolling agreement since then. Seem to recall the owners saying they wanted the park to grow organically to some extent with new rides only being added once the attendance justified it, so hopefully Covid wont have impacted them too much as its great to see their ambition to continue growing.
Correct he doesn't own the crisp company anymore. He sold it to a German company (intersnack) do he could find what he wanted to do with the park at the time.
I did read he would of loved to keep the factory but needed the cash so tayto park is just marketing the name .

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Alright, thanks for clarifying that. So the park is now a family park, fully supporting itself financially?

Ngl I'm surprised FritoLay didn't come after Tayto, they seem to like their deep-fried thinly-sliced salty potato pieces.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
So they'll likely keep and reuse some the dinosaur theming/models I guess.

Documents also state construction would take 6 - 9 months. No mention though if they will quickly turn it around for a 2022 opening or this is for 2024 post STC.

Irishbhoy1967

Roller Poster
II wonder if the same objectors will rant and rave about this coaster, appeal and appeal if they do i hope they fail again!!
Something tells me they cannot as its already on the existing site and tayto park know they cannot or they would probably not bother with the hassle it will bring.
I'd say they seen a opening and chance to throw another ride in and strike while the iron's hot .
Its already on-site and will be smaller and basically behind the new Vekomas and further away from the house's in question .
What could they object to .