What's new

Fantastic old coaster footage/pics

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
...I have a better pic of but the forum is being weird and won't let me upload any images at the moment. So will edit later.
Yeah. Server issue, but should be good now as both furie and I have tested it.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Something a bit weird.
You can say that again. By the looks of it, they didn't even bother to tell the regular guests there that they were filming. Looking at the various stunts done there, I can't help but wonder whether the park management knew anything either.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
You can say that again. By the looks of it, they didn't even bother to tell the regular guests there that they were filming. Looking at the various stunts done there, I can't help but wonder whether the park management knew anything either.
It's still amazing haha. I love it. And has some of the best footage I've seen of the jet coaster as a bonus.

Peet

Giga Poster
I've been geeking out looking at the "bird's eye" feature in Bing Maps - just about the only reason to use Bing over Google!
The website is here: https://www.bing.com/maps/ . Just navigate/search for the area and right click and select "View bird's eye". There are 4 viewing angles for most of them which are worth exploring. It's only available in certain areas though - so a lot of parks don't feature.

I remember looking at these when I was a teenager (it was called Live Maps back then), and the UK imagery doesn't seem to have been updated much since then, giving us some great historic shots.

Let's start at the Pleasure Beach:
PB 4.3 small.PNG

PB 3.2 small.PNG

See how many changes you can spot! It's before the addition of the Dancing Fountain, but after the removal of Spin Doctor so I recokon that puts it between 2006 and 2009.

Here's Thorpe Park. The Flying Fish is in its new location but Saw is not yet built, making this 2007-2008:
Thorpe 1 - Copy.PNG

Down at Margate, the Scenic Railway stands intact complete with a rather sorry looking fairground, putting it around the time of my first visit in 2006, just before it closed.
Dreamland birds eye 2 small.PNG

Over in Wales, you can still see Ocean Beach Amusement Park in Rhyl which was razed in 2007:
Ocean Beach 1 small.PNG

Down at Folkestone, the Runaway Coaster stands alone awaiting its fate:
Folkestone 4 - small.PNG
I still feel absolutely gutted that this ride wasn't saved - there must have been hundreds of Fig-8 coasters like this at one time and this was one of only two survivors before it was flattened in 2007. Did anyone here get to ride this one?

Here's Clarence Pier with the old Skyways coaster which Mr Bean rode:
Clarence Pier 1 small.PNG

Over to Cleethorpes now, and a nice view of the former Pleasure Island before it closed in 2016.
Pleasure island BE 1 small.PNG

One of the saddest sights now, with Pleasureland Southport somehow looking even worse than it does now:
Pleasureland (5) small.PNG
This looks to me like fairly soon after the old park was demolished; before the Haunted Inn and River Caves burned down, so probably around 2007.

One of the old images I have saved on my PC which I think is from Live maps shows the original park, which I was lucky enough to visit in 2006:
Pleasureland.PNG

Up at Morecambe, the Polo tower and log flume still stand at Frontierland:
Frontierland remains 3 small.PNG
The Polo Tower stood for 17 years after the park closed before finally being demolished in 2017, I think it was left because of some radio hardware that was still in use. Does anyone know whay the log flume was left for so long? As far as I can tell it's still there.

One final UK park - Codona's in Aberdeen in its "heyday" before selling both larger coasters. I did wander there once but everything was closed.
Codonas 1 smally.PNG

Elsewhere there's some great imagery of parks in the US, but it seems to be much more up-to-date that the UK stuff. I haven't found much in Europe except for the 3 big Spanish Parks.

Here's how Dragon khan looked before it got dwarfed:
PA Dragon Khan 3 - Copy.PNG

Let's take a minute to appreciate how good Stampida looks from the air:
PA Stampida 2 - Copy.PNG

Parque Warner Madrid has some good shots too but the park never adds anything new so there's no way of knowing the year! The only change I could tell is that the waterpark is missing:
PWM 6 - Copy.PNG

Here are the big guns at Parque de Atracciones de Madrid:
PDADM 2 - Copy.PNG

I hope you enjoyed that output of several mis-spent hours of my life! If you enjoy aeriel images then it's definitely worth having a look yourself, let me know if I missed any good ones!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Indeed, this is a cool effect. It was something Bing were doing long before Google - although I think their methodologies were/are quite different. As I understand it the Bing ones are done by doing some form of perspective analysis on the photos as they fly the panes over. They're working out how tall/wide/lumpy structures are by how they look in different photos (all the photos are taken straight down at regular intervals - from there it's just lots of maths).

I think for some places (notably some major cities) they are also somehow generating 3D geometry and projecting the images onto that. That gives the 3D effects you can get on Google Maps. I don't know if Bing are doing this too now - looks like they might be from your final image of Parque de Atracciones, as that's central to Madrid so likely to have been included in the model.

I posted about the Google version a few years back when I found out about it (although apparently I was a little late to the party even then :p ):

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Blackpool has to be 2007 or newer :p
2006 wouldn't have the SLC since it'd still be at Southport and I rode Spin Doctor when I went in June of 06 haha

Last edited:

Dar

Hyper Poster
Google earth historical imagery has cool shots of saw under construction, you can see the indoor track before they clad the station! On mobile atm, but I'll try upload a screenshot later :)

Peet

Giga Poster
As I understand it the Bing ones are done by doing some form of perspective analysis on the photos as they fly the panes over. They're working out how tall/wide/lumpy structures are by how they look in different photos (all the photos are taken straight down at regular intervals - from there it's just lots of maths).
I'm pretty sure the Bing ones are just good old fashioned aerial photos, taken from a low flying plane at an angle. As you scroll around it regularly "jumps" from one photo to the next, and there's no change in perspective as you scroll around. The 4 different viewing angles are just 4 different photos taken in different directions, and you can't look at any intermediate angles (only 4 views, 90 degrees apart). Another thing is that the straight-down satelite pictures in Bing are all much more up-to-date than the Bird's Eye views which can make it a little strange to switch between them! The Google 3D effect is much more advanced, it's cool but a little unnecessary!

Blackpool has to be 2007 or newer :p
2006 wouldn't have the SLC since it'd still be at Southport and I rode Spin Doctor when I went in June of 06 haha
Ha I missed that insignificant detail, good spot.

Eyebrows

Hyper Poster
This is pretty cool

In the comments of that post, there's a link to a 30 minute long video with footage of lots of footage from Expo '70, including footage of Daidarasaurus running with all 5 (!!) dueling tracks!

I could watch this for hours, with the jazz soundtrack and that soothing narrator.

Peet

Giga Poster
In the comments of that post, there's a link to a 30 minute long video with footage of lots of footage from Expo '70, including footage of Daidarasaurus running with all 5 (!!) dueling tracks!

I could watch this for hours, with the jazz soundtrack and that soothing narrator.
Yep that was 30 minutes very well (mis)spent

Will

Strata Poster
Perhaps not as old as some of the stuff in the thread (or especially fantastic!) but after a post from @Nickg89 I have spent this afternoon doing some digging...
(Yes, I do get THAT bored in Lockdown!!)

Apologies for the dreadful quality, but here's Alton Towers as at March 2004!

Off the top of my head, I think there's 3 people featured still posting (there's also a blur about 4 minutes in that's me queuing for Spinball!)

davidm

Strata Poster
^ far too much Spinball in that, probably because it was new and shiny back then ;)

(like opening day new!)

Nickg89

Roller Poster
Perhaps not as old as some of the stuff in the thread (or especially fantastic!) but after a post from @Nickg89 I have spent this afternoon doing some digging...
(Yes, I do get THAT bored in Lockdown!!)

Apologies for the dreadful quality, but here's Alton Towers as at March 2004!

Off the top of my head, I think there's 3 people featured still posting (there's also a blur about 4 minutes in that's me queuing for Spinball!)

Thanks Will.

Perhaps I remembered wrong, but I thought there was a part where you saw the singer as well?

You've been a great help, thank you.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I've always been fascinated by the Triple Racing Coaster, which operated at the Texas State Fair from 1936 to 1946. It just feels like an unfathomable concept for today's coasters, let alone back in the 30s before CAD and other digital design. Texas State Fair as a whole has a rather chronicled history of hosting permanent roller coaster installations through the decades, back as far as 1887!

On Triple Racing Coaster, saw this great high-res shot on Facebook. You can pick out some of the layout; just a fascination to see!

163585036_10110875083746892_6004703734134432218_o.jpg

Hutch

Strata Poster
I've always been fascinated by the Triple Racing Coaster, which operated at the Texas State Fair from 1936 to 1946. It just feels like an unfathomable concept for today's coasters, let alone back in the 30s before CAD and other digital design. Texas State Fair as a whole has a rather chronicled history of hosting permanent roller coaster installations through the decades, back as far as 1887!

On Triple Racing Coaster, saw this great high-res shot on Facebook. You can pick out some of the layout; just a fascination to see!

View attachment 11434
Stumbled across the first page of this thread and it looks like @furie had shared a video of this!

Despite the limitations, they seem to synch up better than Twisted Colossus! :p