What's new

Dorney Park | Iron Menace | B&M Dive Machine | 2024

oriolat2

Giga Poster
I wonder how Dorney managed to talk their way into getting a new coaster. Brand new at that. One can only imagine the scene at the grand board meeting...

Cedar Fair executive: "Okay, that's next year's pot of money distributed. And we're proud to announce a new wooden shuttle coaster for ... Cedar Point!"
(General polite applause around the room. Nobody looks surprised.)
Cedar Point executive: "Um, I think that would be too low capacity for us. We've got little space left to expand, and I don't think we can afford to use that much for such a low-capacity ride. I'm afraid we'll have to decline the offer"
(Dorney Park executive raises hand)
CF executive: "No problem, we'll give it to a different park instead. Kings Island, you'll get it instead!"
Kings Island executive: "We're currently putting our marketing focus into Orion. We wouldn't be able to get any extra mileage out of a coaster like that. I'm sure it could be put to better use elsewhere."
(Dorney Park executive starts waving the raised hand)
CF executive: "Oh, no problem. We have plenty of deserving parks in our chain! Canada's Wonderland it is!"
Canada's Wonderland executive: "Actually, we're getting more visitors every year than Cedar Point. If it's too low capacity for them, it's too low for us as well. But the chain has other parks."
(Dorney Park executive keeps hand raised and waving, uses other hand to point at himself)
CF executive: "Oh, we do indeed. Knott's Berry Farm, you can squeeze it in somewhere, can't you?"
KBF executive: "Capacity might be an issue for us too. We're actually getting more visitors than CW again. And we have less space to work with than CP. We'll have to decline, but if you will take a moment to look at the Giga request I sent-"
(Dorney Park executive, hands still flailing, stares intensely at CF executive, trying to capture his gaze)
CF executive: "Ah, of course! Carowinds! You can have it!"
Carowinds executive: "A wooden coaster that looks like it might actually be somewhat good?!? Not in our park."
(Dorney Park executive clears throat)
CF executive: "King's Dominion, then! Take this thing, since we obviously don't have other parks to put it in!"
KD executive: "We're already working on that B&M Wing Coaster, remember? Can't you put the wooden shuttle in one of the smaller parks?"
(The entire room gasps and falls silent)
CF executive: "Insolence! That B&M coaster... You can forget it! We'll make it a... a... an S&S Free Spin instead! Off the shelf model! One of the leftover ones from Six Flags' bulk purchase! Now don't open that mouth again or I'll call my contacts in the UK and swap the Free Spin for a twenty-fourth hand Pinfari instead!"
Dorney Park executive: He might have a point, though! There are other parks in this chain, you know!
CF executive: "Only California's Great Adventure, to the extent of my knowledge. Will you have it?"
CGA executive: "We've got our hands full with the waterpark expansion. You must find somebody else."
(Dorney Park executive clears throat again)
CF executive: "Valleyfair?"
Secretary: "I think Valleyfair stopped attending these meetings seven years ago. Gave up, he said."
(Dorney Park executive stands up)
CF executive: "Michigan's Adventure?"
(MA executive looks up, as if in shock. This is the first time anybody has even remembered his presence in the annual meeting since Valleyfair left. As if in a dream, he hears his own, hoarse voice say: "Yes, grand boss?" and feels a faint spark of hope for the first time in ages)
CF executive: "By the way, we're giving you some money to move your smallest kiddie coaster to a different corner of your park. That ought to suffice as investment in your park for the next ten years. Now, back to this wooden shuttle. Who can we give it to?"
(Dorney Park executive climbs onto his chair - not an easy feat, since he's waving one hand in the air while pointing at himself with the other simultaneously)
CF executive: "Worlds of Fun?"
(Everybody laughs. The Worlds of Fun executive says nothing. That's because he's just a scarecrow somebody fit into a suit. Nobody ever cared enough to notice.)
CF executive: "Okay, that only leaves us one choice. We'll put this thing up at Gilroy Gardens. It's sure to be a hit.
Secretary: "Umm, it looks like the representative for Gilroy Gardens chose to stay at home tending to a sick houseplant. He said nothing relevant ever happened on these meetings."
(Dorney Park executive mouths "Me! Me! Me!" while jumping up and down on his chair)
CF executive: "Can't fault him for that. No, we've gone through the entire chain and nobody seems to have the room, capacity, or desire to build this new coaster. We'll just have to sell it on, or move it straight to the graveyard for hopeless projects. The place coasters go to die in this chain. The last stop before the soup can factory. The place I keep forgetting that we even own. Every time I'm reminded of its existence, I vow to remove a coaster from that park. This one goes to ... :sigh: ... Dorney. Now scrap their impulse coaster immediately!"
These kind of posts deserve their own thread! That was gold!

Matt N

CF Legend
If Cedar Fair's CAPEX includes resort upgrades, then I'd presume that it's probably Cedar Point 2021 that's been canned, as Kings Dominion's S&S Free Spin has already begun construction and Dorney Park has now had a wooden shuttle coaster approved.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Then what do you think Cedar Point’s new coaster is that they are planning??
Well I think that rules out a B&M Flyer. Maybe a Gerstlauer Infinity Coaster. Hangtime is (I guess) under the Orion/Steel Vengeance level
If Cedar Fair's CAPEX includes resort upgrades, then I'd presume that it's probably Cedar Point 2021 that's been canned, as Kings Dominion's S&S Free Spin has already begun construction and Dorney Park has now had a wooden shuttle coaster approved.

There is no evidence at this time that suggests that they're building a coaster for 2021 in the first place, let alone what type it'd be.

Matt N

CF Legend
There is no evidence at this time that suggests that they're building a coaster for 2021 in the first place, let alone what type it'd be.
Are we referring to Cedar Point here? If we are, then I agree; I'm not sure where all the 2021 rumours are coming from for Cedar Point, I was just going along with if a 2021 project is/was planned for Cedar Point.

On the other hand, Kings Dominion and Dorney Park have actual permission granted and/or construction beginning, so I'd suggest that they are the 2021 projects that we can rely on being built.

In all honesty, as awesome as it would be to see CP build another huge coaster, I think I'd rather Cedar Fair injected the money they have into some of the smaller parks. Cedar Point only built SteVe in 2018, so they could definitely cope for at least another year or two without anything new coaster-wise, while Dorney Park, for example, last got a brand new coaster with Hydra in 2005, so they are in need of this wooden coaster to provide some brand new blood to add to their coaster lineup!

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Are we referring to Cedar Point here? If we are, then I agree; I'm not sure where all the 2021 rumours are coming from for Cedar Point, I was just going along with if a 2021 project is/was planned for Cedar Point.

On the other hand, Kings Dominion and Dorney Park have actual permission granted and/or construction beginning, so I'd suggest that they are the 2021 projects that we can rely on being built.

In all honesty, as awesome as it would be to see CP build another huge coaster, I think I'd rather Cedar Fair injected the money they have into some of the smaller parks. Cedar Point only built SteVe in 2018, so they could definitely cope for at least another year or two without anything new coaster-wise, while Dorney Park, for example, last got a brand new coaster with Hydra in 2005, so they are in need of this wooden coaster to provide some brand new blood to add to their coaster lineup!
Spot on. Not only is the attention needed elsewhere, but also Cedar Point doesn't really have any major holes in their lineup. I'd argue that a wooden family coaster is their biggest hole at the moment, but even the scope of a project like that would be relatively small for Cedar Point standards.

Spot on. Not only is the attention needed elsewhere, but also Cedar Point doesn't really have any major holes in their lineup. I'd argue that a wooden family coaster is their biggest hole at the moment, but even the scope of a project like that would be relatively small for Cedar Point standards.
Tbf I wouldn't be against 2021 being primarily focused on Kings Dominion and Dorney Park. Knowing Cedar Point and Cedar Fair though, you just know that 2022 will be the year if 2021 isn't the year... 2023 maximum for Cedar Point

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Why ? Cedar point has had a 6 years gap between Maverick and Gatekeeper.
I feel like that was relatively justified, as that was during the Recession; while arguments could be made that the COVID-19 Pandemic has had a relatively similar effect on the economy, I doubt Cedar Point wouldn't want to build a huge new coaster in 2021/2022 as the culmination of their 150th anniversary celebration.

Why ? Cedar point has had a 6 years gap between Maverick and Gatekeeper.
Just recent times they had Valravn and Steel Vengeance 2 years apart, so from recent patterns I thought that it would only be a 2/3/4 year gap between Steel Vengeance and the next one. But I agree that a 6 year gap is possible next like the gap between Maverick and Gatekeeper, but I really wish it was that long so that other Cedar Fair parks get focus.

Michigan's Adventure, Worlds Of Fun, Valleyfair... Any park other than Cedar Point is better, before they even consider a new coaster for Cedar Point!

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
K, thread revival time just for the fun of it. Reddit spotted some potential teasers by the old Stinger site via Zephyr train ride;
B9F341A7-6F71-465C-AFC2-7E4C0FD5D832.jpeg

There was a lot of debate in the comments about whether this could be connected to a possible new project or if it was simply Haunt storage. The agreed consensus is that this is brand new and definitely set up for public viewing. Idk, the wooden shuttle coaster plan has been on hold for awhile, but after a fairly low-key capital spending year Cedar Fair appears to be ramping up chainwide investments, with substantial 2023 projects either under development or already underway at Cedar Point, Carowinds, Worlds of Fun, Knott’s Berry Farm, Kings Island, and Michigan’s Adventure. Time will tell.

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
Aight so looks like Dorney Park is back on the menu. They're seeking approval for a new Project 2024 to be presented at the local Planning Commission meeting on February 16;

DORNEY PARK PROJECT 2024
MAJOR PLAN 2023-101
REQUEST FOR PRELIMINARY/FINAL PLAN REVIEW

An application to further develop the property located at 3830 Dorney Park Road. The plan proposes to construct a new 161.67-foot attraction on the site of the Stinger Roller Coaster just north of the intersection of Lincoln Avenue and Dorney Park Road on 2.7-acre portion the 196-acre parcel. The property is served by public water and sewer and is zoned Commercial Recreation CR. Dorney Park LLC is the owner and applicant.

Now, it looks like the Gravity Group shuttle has been canned, or at least the one that was initially proposed and then promptly pulled two years ago. Exciting times ahead, perhaps.

Matt N

CF Legend
162ft? That’s very tall for such a compact site… seeing as that ride also replaced a Boomerang and is also reasonably tall, could it be a Gerstlauer Infinity Coaster like HangTime?

I’m struggling to think of other tall rides that could be compact enough to fit in the space filled by a Vekoma Boomerang…

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
Aight so looks like Dorney Park is back on the menu. They're seeking approval for a new Project 2024 to be presented at the local Planning Commission meeting on February 16;

Now, it looks like the Gravity Group shuttle has been canned, or at least the one that was initially proposed and then promptly pulled two years ago. Exciting times ahead, perhaps.
Or they're jacking up the height. Either is possible.

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
Reddit comments went ahead and suggested a Zamperla Double Heart... which is realistic since the smaller model clocks out at 164 ft tall and Cedar Fair has a working relationship with Zamperla as of late;

Looks like it would fit on the site pretty well, to;
DorneyDoubleHeart.jpg

Last edited: