What's new

Coaster Red Force | PORTAVENTURA and FERRARI LAND | 30th Nov - 1st Dec 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Good news! All booked and me and my friend Huw will be coming!

Flight in arrives in Barcelona about 10am on the Saturday and will be taking train to the park, may be a bit late to any meet up times due to this.

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
Flight in arrives in Barcelona about 10am on the Saturday and will be taking train to the park, may be a bit late to any meet up times due to this.
Er yeah just a bit! You know you have to get a train into the city and then out to the park, right? Probably almost 3 hours journey with walking and waiting time included.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Er yeah just a bit! You know you have to get a train into the city and then out to the park, right? Probably almost 3 hours journey with walking and waiting time included.

Have done the same journey is reverse before, think it took around max 2 hours but didn't time it, guess connections are worse headed out of city. Perhaps should have planned it a bit better but saves on a night in the PA hotels. It being November/December hoping park wont be that busy and will have all day Sunday for any missed rides.

EDIT: Just checked Renfe site for trains from city centre to PA. giving time for security faff and changing trains, may not arrive till 3pm...

Last edited:

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
Have you considered renting a car? It's pretty cheap in Barcelona.
You're not wrong! I've seen prices under £10 for 3 days on Expedia :oops: Not that I would trust a rental company charging such a low price, but even the more reputable companies are pretty cheap.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Have you considered renting a car? It's pretty cheap in Barcelona.

Still under 25 so prices extortionate for me, saw advert for hire of a Citroen C1 for £11 a day. Under 25 price tripled to £33 a day!

Anyone know any coach lines that might do the trip? Only need the one way trip that Saturday morning, can take train back to Barcelona Sunday evening as will be staying in the city sightseeing until that Wednesday.

So whilst I said that realistically can't make this Live as I've been going a little hardcore on coaster trips/spending lately; in the lovely world of hypotheticals, i'm just trying to work out how much it would all cost me to do this one.

For that I need to know a bit more about where we would likely be staying. Is there a general consensus on a hotel for the trip yet?

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
For that I need to know a bit more about where we would likely be staying. Is there a general consensus on a hotel for the trip yet?
I'm definitely up for one of the cheaper off-site options, but it's only cheap if we can get 4-5 people who want to stay there. If we do then it's a tenner a night :)

So who else is up for that option? Less than 2 months to go until this Live now so some decisions must be made...

I'm definitely up for one of the cheaper off-site options, but it's only cheap if we can get 4-5 people who want to stay there. If we do then it's a tenner a night :)

So who else is up for that option? Less than 2 months to go until this Live now so some decisions must be made...
In December last year I stayed at the Melia Hotel - Sol Costa Daurada. It's pretty much opposite the park and was only about £40 a night. I'd be very happy to stay there again as it did exactly what I needed. A basic room with a shower and a bar with cheap beer!

At the moment the best plan for me would be to fly out on the Friday and back on the Monday. I'd probably be flying first thing Friday morning. Have the afternoon in Barcelona and the evening in Ferrari Land.
Something that I know has already been mentioned, but I think would really be worth considering strongly is doing Ferrari Land later on in the day. You're better off getting a 2 parks in 1 day ticket, doing PA until around 2/3pm and then blitzing Ferrari land in a couple of hours once the crowds have died down. I did this last time and I managed 7 rides on Red Force and everything else within about 2.5 hours. After you can then pop back into the main park for sunset/nightrides :)

Howie

Donkey in a hat

Yes, me, I'm in, 100%, defo, confirmed.
The staying on site option sounded interesting, but on balance I think it would be far less hassle to stay at the same place for all 3 nights.

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
The staying on site option sounded interesting, but on balance I think it would be far less hassle to stay at the same place for all 3 nights.
Could be a moot point now anyway - I've just checked the PA hotels and none of them are available on the Friday now, so we'd only be able to get in for the Saturday.

In December last year I stayed at the Melia Hotel - Sol Costa Daurada.
That's showing as over £60 a night for a twin room on the dates we're going. The place we're looking at staying is the Ibersol (link on a previous post) which will work out at about £30pp for the whole 3 night stay if we can get 5 people in each apartment :)

Something that I know has already been mentioned, but I think would really be worth considering strongly is doing Ferrari Land later on in the day. You're better off getting a 2 parks in 1 day ticket
I think the basic plan as it stands is to do Ferrari Land on the Friday as it's open in the evening, then get a 2 day 2 park ticket for the other two days with the focus being on PA but still with the possibility of going back into FL. That ticket is on offer on the PA website and is cheaper than a 1 day 2 park ticket anyway!

Could be a moot point now anyway - I've just checked the PA hotels and none of them are available on the Friday now, so we'd only be able to get in for the Saturday.

That's showing as over £60 a night for a twin room on the dates we're going. The place we're looking at staying is the Ibersol (link on a previous post) which will work out at about £30pp for the whole 3 night stay if we can get 5 people in each apartment :)

I think the basic plan as it stands is to do Ferrari Land on the Friday as it's open in the evening, then get a 2 day 2 park ticket for the other two days with the focus being on PA but still with the possibility of going back into FL. That ticket is on offer on the PA website and is cheaper than a 1 day 2 park ticket anyway!
So I've already caved in and bought my flights! Very happy to share accomodation with people to bring down costs. Keep me in the loop and I can transfer money where necessary :) I'm going to stick to the train so no car hire for me thanks. But very much looking forward to it!

Gatwick. I thought it would make for less faff if I got the train, but your times match up pretty well with mine haha. I get in at around 10am Friday and fly back 230pm Monday. So yes please, hire car sounds like a great idea :)

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
Gatwick. I thought it would make for less faff if I got the train, but your times match up pretty well with mine haha. I get in at around 10am Friday and fly back 230pm Monday. So yes please, hire car sounds like a great idea :)
Cool, you'll have to hang around a bit before we get there or maybe you can get the train into the city for a bit on Friday. We'll wait for you :)

On that note, I've booked my hire car now (£33 for the 4 days :)) and at present there's me, you and @Howie in it plus @Serena if her flight times work out OK. Can fit one more at a push if necessary or there's still the option to upgrade to a bigger car if there's enough demand.

Cool, you'll have to hang around a bit before we get there or maybe you can get the train into the city for a bit on Friday. We'll wait for you :)

On that note, I've booked my hire car now (£33 for the 4 days :)) and at present there's me, you and @Howie in it plus @Serena if her flight times work out OK. Can fit one more at a push if necessary or there's still the option to upgrade to a bigger car if there's enough demand.
Awesome! That's a great price!
Yeah I'll probably shoot into the City for lunch then come back to the airport for when you're due to land :)

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
How easy is PA to get to by Public transport/train? I assumed it was fairy easy, but speaking to some others, sounds like its not as easy as envisioned. This is from Barcelona Airport.

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
How easy is PA to get to by Public transport/train? I assumed it was fairy easy, but speaking to some others, sounds like its not as easy as envisioned. This is from Barcelona Airport.
It's not really difficult but it's not quick either. There might be some direct buses (somebody mentioned that earlier in this thread) but otherwise you have to get a train into the city and then another one out to PA. It will take a good 2-3 hours!

But there are several people hiring cars that may be able to help you out (myself included) depending on your flight dates/times :)

Status
Not open for further replies.