What's new

Last Cred Review

Matt N

CF Legend
Wow @Hutch; I must say that surprises me, as El Toro always gets such high praise! Why did you find the airtime painful, out of interest, as you love Skyrush and the restraints on that get slated by many people?

Snoo

The Legend
Valravn - as average as an average ride could be! Rode front row once again and it's obviously the best. But it just doesn't stand apart from the other DM's. Can't wait to get to Europe and hit up some more DM's to get a true feel for the ride type.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Millenium Force

It had been about 15 years since I had been on it, and the drop definitely gave me a pause as we went over the top as I haven't been on anything that tall in a long time. The ride is definitely getting some vibrations in the second half, but not bad at all. More enjoyable than I remember, but not near my top 20.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Boodangy

Mega Poster
Hype

I had been to Särkänniemi once before, but this was before the addition of Hype. This review applies to all skyrocket II's I presume for the ride experience itself. I can sum up the coaster with two words: kinda disappointing. Maybe it's because I had ridden Kärnan back in may, but it was really underwhelming. Due to how the launch works, you don't feel a bit of acceleration, which was kinda disappointing. The restraints slowed down the loading because it took 30 seconds to shuffle between the seat and the shin guard to the storage bins which was kinda disappointing. The seat and restraint are so tight and restrictive (I'm 175cm and normal weight, so...) that you don't actually feel that you're upside down when you are which is kinda disappointing. The station looked like the inside of a dirty shipping container, which was kinda disappointing. Probably won't ever ride a skyrocket II again unless I'm extremely bored.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Icon: It's alright.

Like, I've not been remotely hyped about it even though Helix is one of my favourite rides and I loved Blue Fire - I just felt Icon looked slow, didn't really do much and was just a bit of a meandering afterthought that would look better than it rode.

I was sort of right. The launches are too slow, and they look it off-ride too. A large part of the ride is spent just going round in circles or side-to-side almost for the sake of it.

That said - That first airtime hill is still ****ing brilliant. We rode back row and then in the middle at the end of the day and both of them had us well out of our seats. The little duck under Big Dipper is the first time you feel the ride actually carrying some speed. The barrel roll is slow enough to just add a bit of hangtime, and that little bunny hop into the second launch is an unexpected bit of airtime. I'd sacrifice the hangtime from the half loop pull-out for a bit of a quicker second launch though. Those sharp side to side transitions are fun in short doses but it does too many of them towards the end, and I'm not sure what that overbanked airtime hill is meant to be?

Feel like it's such a missed opportunity, and yet still a brilliant addition. From a selfish point of view, it could have been so much more. But aesthetically, it looks ****ing stunning, particularly with the lights on. It fits in well, draws everyone's attention and has helped modernise that area of the park. It's not the statement rollercoaster I think many were hoping for them to install, but it's added plenty to BPB's offering.

Matt N

CF Legend
I paid a visit to Thorpe Park today:

The Swarm was an absolutely phenomenal ride, in my opinion! Just the right amount of forces, decent pacing, glass smooth and genuinely such an immensely fun and rerideable coaster! So much so that it has now snagged my number 3 spot behind only Mako and Icon!
10/10 (5 stars)

Nemesis Inferno
was better than I'd remembered! I may not like it quite as much as the original Nemesis, but I don't think that Nemesis Inferior is a tagline that does this ride enough justice, because I think it's an awesome invert in its own right! I rode twice in the back row, and both rides had some good forces and surprising whip! Overall, a very good coaster, and my 2nd favourite at Thorpe!
9/10 (4.5 stars)

Colossus
was unfortunately no more enjoyable than I'd remembered, despite comments saying that the ride had gotten smoother. I still found there to be quite a bit of headbanging, and the cars were a lot smaller than I'd remembered; I could only just fit my knees behind the other seat, and I'm not massively tall. It's a shame, because the layout is not a bad one at all! It's not quite my least favourite coaster, as I'd proclaimed it to be for many years, but I still wouldn't say I particularly enjoyed it.
3/10 (1.5 stars)

Saw: The Ride
was also quite rough. Admittedly, I liked the indoor section, and the bit between the Immelmann and the MCBR was marginally smoother than I'd remembered, but there's a very rough patch after the first drop along with a few other moments, and the post-MCBR section really pushes my limit; it's extremely rough and I almost think I find it a little too intense. All in all, I can see why someone would like Saw, but I found it a bit too rough to fully enjoy.
3/10 (1.5 stars)

Stealth
is always a ride I've really enjoyed! I sat towards the back, and the launch packed a real punch as always! I also got some nice airtime coming out of the top hat, and overall, I found Stealth to be a really fun ride despite its short length!
8/10 (4 stars)

Flying Fish
was one of the tamer powered coasters I've done, but was perfectly fun for what it was, and had some surprising whip towards the back of the train!
4/10 (2 stars) on overall spectrum, but it's a fun little powered coaster as far as I'm concerned.

Matt N

CF Legend
If you think Swarm is a 10, I'm gonna need you to rides some better rides.
I know that I like The Swarm a lot more than most other people, but it's just a ride that resonates with me on so many levels! It packs decent g-forces without being excessively intense, it's glass smooth and really comfortable, it has very good pacing and I just find it to be one of the most immensely fun coasters I've ever ridden!

I know that the fact I put it above rides like Nemesis is blasphemous enough for most people, but I genuinely love The Swarm!

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I love the swarm too, wouldn’t rank it above Stealth or Icon, because I prefer launch type rides, but it’s easily my number 2 at Thorpe, and wouldn’t be far off a 10 for me either. It’s just so much fun, and so damn reridable. Love those quiet days at Thorpe when you can just stay on it!

Matt, you should try and get over to Holland some time, really easy cheap trip to do, you’d probably love Fenix, I do prefer it to Swarm.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Matt, you should try and get over to Holland some time, really easy cheap trip to do, you’d probably love Fenix, I do prefer it to Swarm.

If Matt goes to Holland, I'd personally frogmarch the little scrote to Walibi and sit his ass down on the back row of Untamed. That boy needs some proper airtime in his life! :p
(No offence, Matt ;) )

But you're right, Fēnix is great too!

Matt N

CF Legend
I love the swarm too, wouldn’t rank it above Stealth or Icon, because I prefer launch type rides, but it’s easily my number 2 at Thorpe, and wouldn’t be far off a 10 for me either. It’s just so much fun, and so damn reridable. Love those quiet days at Thorpe when you can just stay on it!

I'd love to visit Holland and ride Fenix, but the problem is that I've heard that Fenix has extremely strong positive g's, and I don't really like positive g's that are overly strong and sustained for huge periods of time; I find The Smiler a tad too intense, for example. Swarm's are good because they strike the balance between thrill and rerideability; I'd say the same about rides like Mako, Icon, Nemesis, Montu, SheiKra and others.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'd love to visit Holland and ride Fenix, but the problem is that I've heard that Fenix has extremely strong positive g's, and I don't really like positive g's that are overly strong and sustained for huge periods of time; I find The Smiler a tad too intense, for example. Swarm's are good because they strike the balance between thrill and rerideability; I'd say the same about rides like Mako, Icon, Nemesis, Montu, SheiKra and others.
Fenix is no more intense than Swarm is, don't worry. The pop of airtime across the water is wonderful and comes at just the right time after the hard right hand helix. You'd love it, I'm sure.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Fenix is no more intense than Swarm is, don't worry. The pop of airtime across the water is wonderful and comes at just the right time after the hard right hand helix. You'd love it, I'm sure.
I second this, not really more intense, just a better mix of forces :)

Matt N

CF Legend
Ah right. Thanks for the clarification, guys; glad to hear it! It would seem that Fenix's intensity is more comparable to Swarm's as opposed to say, the pretzel loop on a flying coaster's intensity (I hope it's not that intense, as I found Manta's pretzel a bit too much).

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Ah right. Thanks for the clarification, guys; glad to hear it! It would seem that Fenix's intensity is more comparable to Swarm's as opposed to say, the pretzel loop on a flying coaster's intensity (I hope it's not that intense, as I found Manta's pretzel a bit too much).
Oh lord no, nothing like that! The pretzel loops are doubly bad due to the riding position too, so they're definitely more of an outlier.

J Rod

Roller Poster
Made it out to Seaworld Orlando this weekend and finally got on the B&M's.

Kraken - Just meh. Significant rattle and it meanders through the layout.

Mako - Butter smooth, great first drop, and real good floater throughout. The first airtime hill was the highlight for me, especially closer to the front of the train. Overall a fantastic ride, definitely my favorite in Orlando and probably my #2 in Florida behind Montu.

Manta - Only my second flying coaster after Superman: Ultimate Flight at SFOG, but I was so young that I don't remember it. As for Manta, I wish I didn't remember it either. The flying portions are kind of boring, not entirely comfortable, and don't really provide anything. The intensity of the pretzel loop is definitely impressive, especially at the back of the train, but I prefer high G's in a comfortable riding position.

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
Skyrush.

Yeah it's very good. Found the restraints were ok, and I've got big thighs. It was only after around 5 or 6 rides it started to hurt a bit.

Anyways went on it fairly early in the day and I was slightly underwhelmed, but it just got better and better with each ride. The lack of stapling from the staff results in the most absolutely berserk first drop of all time to the point I found it impossible not to keep my arms up the whole way down.

Rode El Toro the day before which was very good, but this is way better IMO. I'm not sure it beats Taron, but it's definitely a top 3 coaster for now.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Skyrush.

Yeah it's very good. Found the restraints were ok, and I've got big thighs. It was only after around 5 or 6 rides it started to hurt a bit.

Anyways went on it fairly early in the day and I was slightly underwhelmed, but it just got better and better with each ride. The lack of stapling from the staff results in the most absolutely berserk first drop of all time to the point I found it impossible not to keep my arms up the whole way down.

Rode El Toro the day before which was very good, but this is way better IMO. I'm not sure it beats Taron, but it's definitely a top 3 coaster for now.
I remember my first ride and being sure I was about to die, never before or since have I had to grab hold in fear of my life before.

It's better, absolutely.
giphy.gif

J Rod

Roller Poster
Tigris - BGT

This was the first Sky Rocket II I've done, and there's not much to say. It was a pretty fun ride, but those restraints are awful. The shin guards are so pointless and restrictive, the comfort collars are useless, and the lap bar comes down on such an awkward place on your thighs and it kept tightening as the ride went on.

If RMC Gwazi were not coming next year I'd say otherwise, but with that in mind it is a nice addition to the park.