What's new

The TV we watch...

Howie

Donkey in a hat
After Life.

This Ricky Gervais 'dramady' about a bloke coming to terms with the death of his wife, premiered on Netflix over the weekend. S'good, I liked it. It's a simple tale about a delicate subject matter, but it's handled with sensitivity and good humour. Very emotional at times, too.
There's only 6 episodes, so a nice easy one to smash out on a lazy afternoon. Defo worth a watch.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
This Ricky Gervais 'dramady' about a bloke coming to terms with the death of his wife, premiered on Netflix over the weekend. S'good, I liked it. It's a simple tale about a delicate subject matter, but it's handled with sensitivity and good humour. Very emotional at times, too.
There's only 6 episodes, so a nice easy one to smash out on a lazy afternoon. Defo worth a watch.
Did you ever see Derek? Came out in 2012 (that's a Google fact, I don't have that kind of memory). Similar sounding kinda thing - funny, sensitive, emotional and brutal (in that very Ricky Gervais way) all in one. I thought it was brilliant.

If After Life is in a similar vein, I can imagine I'll enjoy it!

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Did you ever see Derek? Came out in 2012 (that's a Google fact, I don't have that kind of memory). Similar sounding kinda thing - funny, sensitive, emotional and brutal (in that very Ricky Gervais way) all in one. I thought it was brilliant.

If After Life is in a similar vein, I can imagine I'll enjoy it!

Yes, I did see Derek, and yes, very similar in tone. A number of Derek (and Extras) cast members also turn up in this. Shout out to the legendary Joe Wilkinson as the postman, Pat. No, really!
You'll be in safe hands, pal.

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
I enjoyed Derek, but After Life is far superior. There are several real laugh out loud moments, and I've only watched the first 3 episodes :)

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Not long ago I discovered What We Do In The Shadows (the movie) and I thought it was great. Imagine my delight then when they turned it into a TV series. It's good too, pretty much on a par with the fillum, thanks largely in part to the involvement of original creators Taika Waititi and Jermaine Clement.
First 3 episodes available on BBC iplayer. Recommended.

TilenB

Strata Poster
Just finished watching Chernobyl. Wow, what a brilliant piece of TV. Everything from acting, to screenplay, direction and historical accuracy was downright impeccable. For someone that has been intrigued by the disaster ever since I first heard of it, this offered everything I could've wished for. I now just need to listen to the podcasts at some point too.

peep

CF Legend
Just finished watching Chernobyl. Wow, what a brilliant piece of TV. Everything from acting, to screenplay, direction and historical accuracy was downright impeccable. For someone that has been intrigued by the disaster ever since I first heard of it, this offered everything I could've wished for. I now just need to listen to the podcasts at some point too.

I've yet to watch the final ep (tonight!) but so far everything has been outstanding. So many scenes which were both captivating yet down-right terrifying. I agree with everything you said, it's just perfect TV.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Anyone else watching The Boys on Prime?
Great stuff, I was pretty much hooked from the first episode. Have now watched 3 episodes and it's safe to say I'll be sticking with it til the end.
It's an 'anti-superhero' type thing, and is very blatantly taking a swipe at the MCU, as well as other super hero franchises. Here the super heroes are the villains, managed by the evil, mega rich corporation (read: Marvel/Disney) interested only in trending on social media, hashtag hits and, of course, money, money, money!

When a guy whose girlfriend accidentally(?) gets 'vaporised' by one of the super heroes, he then teams up with a rogue FBI agent (the excellent Karl Urban) to try and take them down.

It's gory, foul mouthed, fairly shocking in places and a bit pervy (Elizabeth Shue guzzling her own breast milk, anyone?) but it's also slick, well made, very entertaining and is a refreshing, subversive take on the superhero genre.
I think it's made by the same crew that created 'Supernatural' and this has a similar dark, comic feel to it but without any of the constraints of network television.
Recommended.

Last edited:

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Anyone else watching The Boys on Prime?
Great stuff, I was pretty much hooked from the first episode. Have now watched 3 episodes and it's safe to say I'll be sticking with it til the end.
It's an 'anti-superhero' type thing, and is very blatantly taking a swipe at the MCU, as well as other super hero franchises. Here the super heroes are the villains, managed by the evil, mega rich corporation (read: Marvel/Disney) interested only in trending on social media, hashtag hits etc.

When a guy whose girlfriend accidentally gets 'vaporised' by one of the super heroes, he then teams up with a rogue FBI agent (the excellent Karl Urban!) to try and take them down.

It's gory, foul mouthed, fairly shocking in places and a bit pervy (Elizabeth Shue guzzling her own breast milk, anyone?) but it's also slick, well made and very entertaining.
I think it's made by the same crew that created 'Supernatural' and this has a similar dark, comic feel to it but without any of constraints of network television.
Recommended.
I just watched the fourth episode the other night and it made me need a break. It was just a little tough to watch 2 scenes in particular, but I understand what they are doing.Karl Urban is fantastic so far though, he has kept me dialed in big time. Not sure when I'll continue watching, but I will. Just need a few days after that episode.

Recently I just finished season 1 of Titans on DC streaming platform (is this on Netflix for you Brits?) I'm ecstatic for season 2, despite S1 let down of an ending

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Howie

Donkey in a hat
I just watched the fourth episode the other night and it made me need a break. It was just a little tough to watch 2 scenes in particular, but I understand what they are doing.Karl Urban is fantastic so far though, he has kept me dialed in big time. Not sure when I'll continue watching, but I will. Just need a few days after that....

Gosh, that sounds... ominous. Kinda apprehensive about watching the next one now. I'll let you know how I get on...

peep

CF Legend
Binged The Boys the weekend it was added. Loved every minute of it, the cast, direction, vfx, everything is just brilliant.

I just watched the fourth episode the other night and it made me need a break. It was just a little tough to watch 2 scenes in particular,

I was struggling to think of what this was referring to so I looked it up. Yeah, through Reddit I discovered that the main scene that inspired it in the comics is much worse.

Recently I just finished season 1 of Titans on DC streaming platform (is this on Netflix for you Brits?) I'm ecstatic for season 2, despite S1 let down of an ending

Yeah, Titans was really fun and agree about the ending, sounded like a weird rushed decision from higher ups to create a cliffhanger for S2. Hopefully the delay for us getting S2 in the UK won't be too bad (I think we had to wait a few months for the first one). Have you seen the other DC show, I'm hoping Netflix picks this up as it has characters that were introduced in Titans.

Watched the last season of Orange is the new black at the weekend. It starts off really boring, first two eps were a struggle. Then it gets back into gear and takes some characters into some interesting places with some quite tough emotional moments in the last few eps.

It was also time for the last of iZombie, I think this show really took a dive a few seasons back but I stuck with it because the main pod of actors are awesome and every now and then they got to have some fun. The ending left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth though, I can see what they were trying to do but it was done quite poorly imo.

Lucy

Hyper Poster
I've also binge watched The Boys and loved it too - great spin on the superhero genre and can't wait to see more!

Also, the re-boot of Prisoner Cell Block H, Wentworth is an amazing show and Season 7 has been awesome so far :)

peep

CF Legend
I started watching Peaky Blinders recently. I'm up to the end of series 3 at the moment. It's ok, feel like it's getting a bit samey but will stick with it.

Binged the whole lot of the new Netflix show Daybreak. Loved it, I enjoyed the visuals (even if most of the vfx looked a tad rushed), it played with my expectations in a fun way, the characters were interesting and I found it very amusing throughout. I think the ep that focuses on the romantic side of things was a bit meh and distracts for way too long from the actual interesting side of things and there's a couple of big plot holes but not enough of a downer to ruin things. The use of the 4th wall break throughout is great. Judging by some comments I've seen online not everyone feels this way but I had a lot of fun watching this and it mixes things up enough to keep things interesting.

davidm

Strata Poster
Watchmen is a bit good then, best thing on TV at the moment anyway. I liked the film 10 years ago, but this is a level above that. Very complicated, very obtuse but very good indeed.

pvnks

Mega Poster
Watchmen is a bit good then, best thing on TV at the moment anyway. I liked the film 10 years ago, but this is a level above that. Very complicated, very obtuse but very good indeed.
EmergencyAwesome on YouTube is a bloody great resource for unpicking that brand of crazy.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Anybody see the BBC's new take on Dracula last week?
Hmm, not sure what to make of it to be honest. There are 3 episodes of 90mins each. The first one was excellent - smart, funny, lavishly produced and, most importantly, genuinely frightening in places. Great choice of actors for the lead roles too - The Count and Agatha <surname withheld for spoiler reasons> are both really good.
The second episode went down a different path, played out more like an Agatha Christie whodunnit. Still pretty entertaining but a bit light on the scares and without any of the shock factor of the first episode. Intriguing twist at the end though.
The third episode, however, had to play out that intriguing twist and develop it into a fully fledged, 90min story and it falls apart hopelessly. It was convoluted, the acting was hammy (especially from Mark Gatiss as a bumbling lawyer) and the new 'setting' just didn't work. Zero scares, pointless reinterpretations of secondary characters and it actually got a bit boring towards the end.
Remember how Sherlock went from being a witty, stylish new take on a classic tale to being a silly, over-the-top farce? Well, the same team have done exactly the same thing again, only they haven't done it over 4 series and a couple of specials, this time they've trashed it within 3 short episodes.
Such a shame as it started off so well. :(

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I've only watched the first 2 episodes. I don't like to leave things unfinished, so I'm hoping you're both wrong.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Howie

Donkey in a hat
I've only watched the first 2 episodes. I don't like to leave things unfinished, so I'm hoping you're both wrong.

Sadly, we're not wrong. Dave is never wrong, you should know this by now. ;)

In other news, I'm having quite a lot of fun watching Disjointed on Netflix. It's a sit-com where Kathy Bates - yes, the Kathy Bates plays the owner of a California weed shop.
Don't quite see it becoming the new Big Bang Theory, but it's pretty funny... if you're into 'that kind of thing'. ;)