What's new

SFMM | West Coast Racers | Premier Quad Launch Möbius Sky Rocket

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Where's the source for that?

I wonder if they realised the ride is a bit naff, and so are just redesigning it to sort that out...?
If so, I wonder if they'd make it more naff, so it could appeal to those afraid of inversions, or less naff, so it can compete in the league of the "big thrills" at Magic Mountain. As presented, what could have been a high-end family coaster is instead a vastly overshadowed thrill coaster. What's the point of building a white-knuckle ride if it's less white-knuckle than half a dozen coasters you've already got at the same park?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
If so, I wonder if they'd make it more naff, so it could appeal to those afraid of inversions, or less naff, so it can compete in the league of the "big thrills" at Magic Mountain. As presented, what could have been a high-end family coaster is instead a vastly overshadowed thrill coaster. What's the point of building a white-knuckle ride if it's less white-knuckle than half a dozen coasters you've already got at the same park?
To be honest, as much as I'd prefer the latter, I'd settle for either.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
tenor.gif

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Yeah you can never expect a new attraction at SFMM to open on time. July 1 is really the earliest I'd ever plan on going to a SF park with a new addition.

Slap bet podcast fodder!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
This new concept art from WCC of the blue train on WCR has eliminated comfort collars from the design. Could this mean the coaster will only have a lap bar?
IMG_20190104_173908.jpg

Last edited:

Snoo

The Legend
This new concept art from WCC of the blue train on WCR has eliminated comfort colours from the design. Could this mean the coaster will only have a lap bar?
IMG_20190104_173908.jpg

Crazy you would see this in JANUARY when literally every other new ride has been fully announced months ago. #typicalSF

kenny cook

Mega Poster
Wouldn't surprise me, probably cheaper to do lapbar + seatbelts because then it can pool it's parts with Full Throttle instead of having to have a separate set just for this ride

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Regardless of what lap bar system this ride will utilize...have they even broken ground yet? They've closed off a significantly large section of the park for months now and don't seem to be doing anything. That's a really odd move to make for a business unless there's a damn good reason for it.

Ethan

Strata Poster
What's a comfort colour? ;)
I notice a subtle edit on his post from 2 minutes after your own ;) I actually quite like the train design for this tbh, whether or not the experience will be any good is another thing I guess.

Matt N

CF Legend
Regardless of what lap bar system this ride will utilize...have they even broken ground yet? They've closed off a significantly large section of the park for months now and don't seem to be doing anything. That's a really odd move to make for a business unless there's a damn good reason for it.
According to Screamscape, something strange (Lance doesn't specify what) may have happened that will prevent construction from progressing:
Screamscape said:
(12/31/18) A strange rumor was sent my way claiming that an interesting issue had come up regarding the park’s upcoming West Coast Racers project that is likely to delay the construction a bit. Again… this is only a rumor, and nothing confirmed at all, but if the details are even close, it could be awhile longer before we see track and supports start to arrive on site. I guess we’ll have to wait and see.
If you want to know more, here's the direct Screamscape link: http://www.screamscape.com/html/six_flags_magic_mountain.htm
Certainly sounds like something interesting has happened; I hope it doesn't delay SFMM by too much time...

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
And a photo found on Reddit:

9q73xvaki3821.jpg

I know Six Flags Magic Mountain is notorious for opening projects late, but this is laughably horrendous. There isn't a single footer visible in that photo. The park closed down this corner months ago and they have dirt to show for all the effort they've done thus far.

@tomahawk and I had a bit of a chat earlier with regard to why - he'd bet that the delays have to do with the housing development that's about to start behind Apocalypse. Not sure why a new coaster would cause problems when Apocalypse already borders the neighborhood, but whatever.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Maybe they've found some old arrowheads or pottery or other historical artifacts? It's a bit of a nuisance when digging in urban areas in Europe, but less common in the US - and therefore presumably an even bigger deal when they do find something.

kenny cook

Mega Poster
I have a sneaking suspicion that we'll see this as a staged opening rather than a major celebration blowout. They'll open the refurbished go karts, then maybe the restaurant, then perhaps apocalypse, and then finally a month later the ride will finally open (even though the rest of the land has been officially operating for at least a couple weeks)