What's new

Blackpool Pleasure Beach | Icon | Mack Multi-Launch

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Don't forget the weather. Most of spring was a washout, and June & July were so freakin' hot that most of us pasty-faced Brits stayed indoors fanning ourselves and moaning about how freakin' hot it was.
Bet the waterparks did well though.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Watching this interview with BPB engineering, apparently they approached Mack, Vekoma and Intamin about the project and it was "only really a fag paper between all of them". Apparently the proposal that Mack gave initially "wasn't that exciting compared with some of the others, but we had a lot of faith in those guys as designers". Nick Thompson was inspired by Cheetah Hunt.

Hmm. So basically we could have had a "more exciting" mini Taron. I am assuming they were much more expensive than Mack or maybe they thought the Mack layout was more family friendly.

And also fun fact: Some initial Mack designs had issues with "exceeding what the train was capable of doing" due to the compact layout so there were lots of revisions.
Confirmation that they've stopped painting the woodies as well.
Interesting.

Last edited:

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
One of the main reasons they chose the Mack layout over the other two companies was because of the high-5 element over The Big Dipper.
I’d arguably say that’s one of the dullest moments of the layout almost all the time, but when timed perfectly it does provide a brilliant interactive element to both rides.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
One of the main reasons they chose the Mack layout over the other two companies was because of the high-5 element over The Big Dipper.
I’d arguably say that’s one of the dullest moments of the layout almost all the time, but when timed perfectly it does provide a brilliant interactive element to both rides.
*checks pov so I remember which bit you're talking about* I assume it's the bit at the end where it kind of overbanks over it. When you said high-5 I was imagining a rmc style one thinking I don't remember that bit lol! I knew there would be some random reason!

Coaster

Mega Poster
The last section of Icon lets it down IMO, the oddly-banked airtime hill and high five look great on paper but aren't taken fast enough to have a good enough effect, meaning that (IMO) you always hit the brakes without that "wow" feeling that you get on rides like Taron. I do appreciate the limited space and the fact they tried something different to utilise the space available, though.

A very interesting interview.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
Apparently the proposal that Mack gave initially "wasn't that exciting compared with some of the others, but we had a lot of faith in those guys as designers"
I think the use of 'initially' here might imply that whilst the original layout might have been a bit lacklustre, the park had the mind set on Mack from the beginning so would rather push them to create something more thrilling, rather than snake them out. Because I'm pretty sure the park's been quite close with Mack for a while.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
I think the use of 'initially' here might imply that whilst the original layout might have been a bit lacklustre, the park had the mind set on Mack from the beginning so would rather push them to create something more thrilling, rather than snake them out. Because I'm pretty sure the park's been quite close with Mack for a while.
Yeah I was just quoting what the guy said as he's unlikely to specify stuff like that but still kind of interesting anyhow.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I think it's also no secret that BPB and Mack have a good relationship. Not saying that BPB wouldn't use another manufacturer if the product was better, but you're going to be working with this company for a long time, during a complex project, an existing good relationship can be the deciding factor.