What's new

Hersheypark | Chocolatetown | 2019/2020 Park Expansion

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Uhoh, Mars Chocolate wont be happy with that Hershey pun.

I did Google it first - apparently the two "Ms" represent the names of Forrest E. Mars, the founder of Mars and Bruce Murrie, son of Hershey president William F. R. Murrie, who had a 20 percent share in the product.

Pun still stands. :p

Intamin to Win

Mega Poster
This isn’t as good if they’d just built Skyrush a second time but I’m happy nonetheless. Hershey stays elite.

Hopefully it’ll retain some speed over those taller hills. The turnaround isn’t bad but it’s... sorta boring. The lower hill (hill #3) and the following helix then into that, I’ll call it a “kickout”, looks sick. The brown color scheme makes it look like Great Bear’s older sibling

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
This isn’t as good if they’d just built Skyrush a second time but I’m happy nonetheless. Hershey stays elite.

Hopefully it’ll retain some speed over those taller hills. The turnaround isn’t bad but it’s... sorta boring. The lower hill (hill #3) and the following helix then into that, I’ll call it a “kickout”, looks sick. The brown color scheme makes it look like Great Bear’s older sibling
I've heard good things about Mako's hammerhead turn, and this is simply a mirror image to it, so I think it will be cool.

Also, where did the name "Candemonium" come from, and do people think that will be the name of the coaster?

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek

Omg imagine if they had done like dueling intamins or like skyrush part two at the other end of the park (with new restraints for both)! This should still be really good though.

Intamin to Win

Mega Poster
Omg imagine if they had done like dueling intamins or like skyrush part two at the other end of the park (with new restraints for both)! This should still be really good though.

They should pop more padding on there, maybe, but redoing the restraints would be overkill

IMO they’re fine. But I have fat legs so

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
They should pop more padding on there, maybe, but redoing the restraints would be overkill

IMO they’re fine. But I have fat legs so
I think you're in the minority there. A lot of people hate them and quite a few won't rank the coaster as highly as they could because of them. Not sure they could just sticky on some padding, would probably need a redesign otherwise they'd be chunkier and have less space under them, there might be a way though.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I think you're in the minority there. A lot of people hate them and quite a few won't rank the coaster as highly as they could because of them. Not sure they could just sticky on some padding, would probably need a redesign otherwise they'd be chunkier and have less space under them, there might be a way though.
Thing is, I don't actually think it's the padding that's wrong - it's the position it sits on you. Skyrush's restraints sit at a funny angle pointing downwards into your thigh, meaning you've got all the force concentrated on one point. As a direct comparison, Flying Aces' restraints are rotated slightly meaning they sit on your thighs much more like a B&M clamshell does, spreading the force out over a 'pad'. Now, admittedly, Flying Aces doesn't have anything like as intense airtime as Skyrush, but the first drop is probably comparable and doesn't have ANY of the unpleasantness of Skyrush. Purely because of the restraints.

I'm not sure if it even would be possible, given the time difference between the two rides, but I'm surprised they haven't changed Skyrush's yet, they're awful. Definitely what keeps it out of my top 5.

Snoo

The Legend
Thing is, I don't actually think it's the padding that's wrong - it's the position it sits on you. Skyrush's restraints sit at a funny angle pointing downwards into your thigh, meaning you've got all the force concentrated on one point. As a direct comparison, Flying Aces' restraints are rotated slightly meaning they sit on your thighs much more like a B&M clamshell does, spreading the force out over a 'pad'. Now, admittedly, Flying Aces doesn't have anything like as intense airtime as Skyrush, but the first drop is probably comparable and doesn't have ANY of the unpleasantness of Skyrush. Purely because of the restraints.

I'm not sure if it even would be possible, given the time difference between the two rides, but I'm surprised they haven't changed Skyrush's yet, they're awful. Definitely what keeps it out of my top 5.

This completely. The design on where it holds me on my thigh which is the problem. The focused pressure at the point where several muscles join together on my quad is not even remotely comfortable, which is why I pan the ride in general. The airtime is legit, yeah, but the pain I feel in my quad overrides. And even after adjusting as best as I could to avoid this pain (which shouldn't be required to ride any ride btw), it was still not the most comfortable.

In comparison, as Hixee stated, the T bars and U bars never had that problem as they were closer to the hip. Hell, even the OTSRs hit higher on the thigh for me. I really think Intamin struck out with Skyrush which is a damn shame because it is as good as most say.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
And from a design and manufacturing standpoint, updating the restraint is simple. They only need to shorten the tube between the pivot and the bend and open up the bend slightly, allowing the lap bar to sit flat on one's lap. Unfortunately, safety is likely the barrier - Intamin would surely have to complete a significant amount of testing to make such a change happen.

balrog

Mega Poster
Is the remainder of the seat also different from later iterations? If not, wouldn't it be possible to just replace the lap bar with the new version ?

Anyway, it is kind of weird that a park would be ready to spend dozens of millions on a new expansion and hypercoaster, but isn't willing to spend a fraction of that to fix a well documented problem on their star attraction.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Is the remainder of the seat also different from later iterations? If not, wouldn't it be possible to just replace the lap bar with the new version ?

Anyway, it is kind of weird that a park would be ready to spend dozens of millions on a new expansion and hypercoaster, but isn't willing to spend a fraction of that to fix a well documented problem on their star attraction.

Keep in mind that the new system also has to be certified and approved for use with the trains. Then it starts to become a lot more expensive, and probably also time-consuming. Then again, it shouldn't be prohibitively expensive either, but probably more than it's considered to be worth. It's not like the current system hurts their bottom line.