What's new

Top 3 coaster experiences?

Coaster Cast

Roller Poster
Rank your top 3 experiences (time of year, day, event, trimless, backwards, etc...) on a roller coaster that you have ridden.

Edward M

Strata Poster
  1. The famous US Live Lightning Rod night rides.
  2. X2 because it was simply so unexpected.
  3. My first ride on Millennium Force, fell in love with that ride as a kid.

Last edited:

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Voyage at night, No catch on the MCBR New Moon no lights after hill 2
Lightning Rod ERT
La Vibora Overweighted hitting the top guard rails "The park map says max speed of 30mph, but i've seen it go 45"

Snoo

The Legend
1. Voyage at night in 2016 I believe as Joey noted above. New Moon so NOTHING for 3/4 of the course. Absolute insanity from beginning to end. Single best experience of my coaster life.
2. Maverick ERT on Opening Day 2007
3. Lightning Rod ERT as mentioned above.

:D

Peet

Giga Poster
1. Wodan at night in 2013 - the lighting, the theming, and the ride were all incredible.
2. Nemesis the first time I rode it on the front row in 2004 - I hadn't been on many coasters at the time and it blew my 14-year-old mind.
3. Helix at night in 2015 - wonderful park, fantastic ride.

Will

Strata Poster
No particular order...
Nemesis, Scarefest 2011 - Had two different visits which I genuinely can't pick between, but they verged on magical and Nemesis was running in a dreamlike state.
Shambhala, October 2017 - I'd had a bit too much to drink beforehand, and as a result, this was insane.
Vampire, La Ronde - June 2015 - My first north American cred and on a rather nice day, during a break before the Canadian GP qualifying.
Helix - June 2016 - We didn't get into the park until evening, watched a football match and then had our first rides when it was almost dark. The times, they were good.

I've probably forgotten some. Lynet 2009 probably deserves a mention.

In no particular order...

- Riding Eejanaika at dusk with a sake buzz
- Boardwalk Bullet at night
- First ride on Top Thrill Dragster

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
In no particular order:

Steel Dragon 2000, at night and front row!
First ride on Dodonpa (RIP top hat)
Helix front row at night

Hutch

Strata Poster
Gonna include 4...

Skyrush at night, front row, left wing seat (June 2015)
Lightning Rod (June 2018)
Boulder Dash, back seat (2013-2015 when it used to being epic)
Beast at night (June 2016)

EndlessWire

Mega Poster
Ooh, good one! For me:
1. On my own, front row of the Big One at sunset in 2015. Felt oddly trancendental - it was running SO quickly, the view along the promenade and out to sea was gorgeous and with nobody else in sight, it felt like the ride was just for me.
2. Just last month, being called back to ride the back row on the day's last train on Shambhala. Unexpected and wonderful.
3. A similar experience on Colossos at Heide in 2016, being able to stay in the train and go around for a second time at the end of the day.
But having said that, there are a couple of other memorable moments too - my first rides on PMBO and the Revolution (as a kid, they utterly terrified me and were both huge milestones for me) were big. I also have fond memories of my first visit to Alton in '06 with school. We had to go around in groups and with me being a bit nerdy, my group was annoyed because they thought I'd "stop us getting on everything exciting". Fast forward to the day and our first ride was Oblivion. It was so enormously satisfying to see them properly terrified out of their skin climbing the lift hill, and throwing my hands up on the holding brake as they held on for dear life gave me a wonderful "F you" moment. ;)

PeteA

Roller Poster
1. Night time rides on The Beast - Going through the wooded areas in total darkness and seeing a magical display of fire flies in the trees and on the ground. Was absolutely amazing to see and even more so travelling at speed through it.

2. First time on X2 - Nothing prepared me for for rides on this thing. One of only a few rides that genuinely scared me.

3. Marathon session during an ERT on Fury 325 - I fell in love with this amazing coaster during an ERT session. Stayed in the same seat and only had to change occasionally.

EpochEmu

Mega Poster
1. Apollo's chariot, my first hyper and my first sensation of airtime. So many memories.
2. Marathoning Fury 325 at night.
3. Likely The Hulk, my first"big" coaster.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
1. Lightning Rod ride
2. Outlaw Run at night in near freezing temperatures
3. First ride on X

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

zazobo

Hyper Poster
1. ERT on Taron
2. First ride on Shambhala
3. A pissing wet rainy ride on Balder at night in August (relentless!!!)

Howie

Donkey in a hat
1. As it's still rather fresh in my mind - cycling Steel Vengeance for the last 90 minutes or so as night fell. Think we got about 8 or 9 laps in one session? A very similar experience to those night time ERT sessions on Taron with a bunch of your goon mates.
2. Night time ERT session on Taron with a bunch of my goon mates.
3. Another fresh one - night ride on Beast with my goon mate. As mentioned above, pitch black it was, and hurtling through the darkness at those speeds with no idea of where the track was bordered on surreal. Think it was made better by it being our only ride on Beast, fairly sure a daytime ride, either beforehand or afterwards, would kinda ruin the memory.

I've got loads more, but those are the top 3 most recent experiences that spring to mind. :)

Pear

Strata Poster
1. Steel Vengeance in the back at night
2. My first time on Taron. It was surreal seeing the ride in person and experiencing it for the first time
3. Boulder Dash at night (back when the ride was good)

As mentioned above, pitch black it was, and hurtling through the darkness at those speeds with no idea of where the track was bordered on surreal. Think it was made better by it being our only ride on Beast, fairly sure a daytime ride, either beforehand or afterwards, would kinda ruin the memory.

I rode it during the day as well and found it just as stupid during night. Then again I hate this ride more than most and it's honestly the only ride in the world that's managed to make me feel bored.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
1. As it's still rather fresh in my mind - cycling Steel Vengeance for the last 90 minutes or so as night fell. Think we got about 8 or 9 laps in one session? A very similar experience to those night time ERT sessions on Taron with a bunch of your goon mates.
2. Night time ERT session on Taron with a bunch of my goon mates.
3. Another fresh one - night ride on Beast with my goon mate. As mentioned above, pitch black it was, and hurtling through the darkness at those speeds with no idea of where the track was bordered on surreal. Think it was made better by it being our only ride on Beast, fairly sure a daytime ride, either beforehand or afterwards, would kinda ruin the memory.

I've got loads more, but those are the top 3 most recent experiences that spring to mind. :)
This. Need to add a 4th tho.

My first ride on Skyrush. The same year that I became a proper goon and my first real airtime machine. Didn't know what hit me.

Snoo

The Legend
1. Steel Vengeance in the back at night
2. My first time on Taron. It was surreal seeing the ride in person and experiencing it for the first time
3. Boulder Dash at night (back when the ride was good)

I rode it during the day as well and found it just as stupid during night. Then again I hate this ride more than most and it's honestly the only ride in the world that's managed to make me feel bored.

Rode Steel Vengeance at around 10pm in the back. Insanity. Going upside down through the structure was INCREDIBLE.

Edward M

Strata Poster
  1. The famous US Live Lightning Rod night rides.
  2. X2 because it was simply so unexpected.
  3. My first ride on Millennium Force, fell in love with that ride as a kid. Steel Vengeance at 10 pm when the mid brake run was completely turned off.