What's new

Ankara, Turkey | Wonderland Eurasia | Theme Park

Matt N

CF Legend
Dammit! I keep forgetting that! Thanks @Lofty! It's just because RCDB says that Turkey is in Europe, and I trust RCDB's judgement. Although I suppose it did say that the only city in Gloucestershire was Stroud...
P.S. Edited my post!

TilenB

Strata Poster
Dammit! I keep forgetting that! Thanks @Lofty! It's just because RCDB says that Turkey is in Europe, and I trust RCDB's judgement. Although I suppose it did say that the only city in Gloucestershire was Stroud...
P.S. Edited my post!
I never understood rcdb's way of putting some countries under certain continents. Turkey is Europe on there, despite the majority of population and huge majority of land being in Asia, while Russia is Asia, despite the majority of population living in the European part. An even weirder issue is Crimea (that technically isn't even a country) being listed under Asia, despite being well in what's considered to be Europe.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Tbf in my job, the official line is to include Turkish statistics in Europe. It's a pain as Turkey obviously straddles both continents. Although more of it is in Asia, in character, I'd say it's more European. Some official statistics (like OICA for example - the people who track global car production) leave Turkey as a seperate entity, not included in any continent.

lachlan

Mega Poster
I always thought of Turkey as European. Not sure if this counts for anything but you can buy an interrail pass for turkey.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I'm also guilty of counting Turkey in Europe, same as Sue, in my job they come under our EMEA region, not APAC.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
It's one of those boundary countries where it depends on context. Geography is one thing but social-political/economic divisions may be different and much of the time Turkey is lumped in with Europe in my experience. Obviously, on a map, it's mainly Asia - but that's not the whole story.

Azerbaijan is another good example - is it Europe, Asia or Middle East?
We use a CIS category (Commonwealth of Independent States - meaning ex-Russia and surrounding) which solves a lot of the problems in that area and includes both Asian and European possibles.
https://www.worldatlas.com/aatlas/infopage/cis.htm

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Not to mention that Ankara itself, which we are discussing, is in Asia...
Except its just not? Its in the western half of Turkey so if you split Turkey between the two continents it would still be in Europe. Not saying Turkey is in either Europe or Asia but the geographical location of Ankara is definitely not closer to Asia given Georgia is another Eurasian debate and its bloody miles away from Europe :p

TilenB

Strata Poster
Except its just not? Its in the western half of Turkey so if you split Turkey between the two continents it would still be in Europe. Not saying Turkey is in either Europe or Asia but the geographical location of Ankara is definitely not closer to Asia given Georgia is another Eurasian debate and its bloody miles away from Europe :p
What are you on? The border between Asia and Europe are the Turkish straits (Bosphorus and Dardanelles) and they are nowhere near Ankara (Bosphorus splits Istanbul into two parts).

I hope you don't think parts of China are in Europe too, considering the line that would split Russia into two also crosses China (and a bunch of other Asian territories)?

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
What are you on? The border between Asia and Europe are the Turkish straits (Bosphorus and Dardanelles) and they are nowhere near Ankara (Bosphorus splits Istanbul into two parts).

I hope you don't think parts of China are in Europe too, considering the line that would split Russia into two also crosses China (and a bunch of other Asian territories)?

I was taking a more theoretical approach of ignoring the straits and labeling Turkey as Europe as this is a generally used throughout. I wasn't sure if @Lofty was referring to the Turkish straights as the defining boundary line or just the Hypothetical location of Ankara if Turkey were to be split in half.

Out of interest how does Georgia get confused considering its location way east of the Bosphorus?

Lofty

CF Legend
I was taking a more theoretical approach of ignoring the straits and labeling Turkey as Europe as this is a generally used throughout. I wasn't sure if @Lofty was referring to the Turkish straights as the defining boundary line or just the Hypothetical location of Ankara if Turkey were to be split in half.

How does Georgia get confused if the Turkish Straits are considered out of interest?
https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/is-turkey-in-europe-or-asia.html
Thrace is home to more than 10% of Turkey’s inhabitants, and Istanbul is its largest city while the capital, Ankara is in Asia.

SoOoOoOoOo......

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Not that they are going to get it now considering the current political goings on but there was a time when Turkey was lined up to join the EU. Making things even more confusing :)
Like Sue and DelPiero Turkey is counted as European in my job and I always tend to think of it as so.

Lofty

CF Legend
They have been testing the creds and rides (with people), but I don't think it's actually open.

In fact, you can see that they have loads to do and it seems that the locals are still angry at the local government for spending so much money on the park.

vaugc002

Mega Poster
They have been testing the creds and rides (with people), but I don't think it's actually open.

In fact, you can see that they have loads to do and it seems that the locals are still angry at the local government for spending so much money on the park.
That's the Turkish government for you. They've been investing heavily in their hemorrhaging tourism industry with hotel grants, highway construction etc while the poorer residents feel they're being left behind or 'swept aside'. It's Catch 22 really because they need tourism to thrive ...