What's new

UK Referendum on EU Membership for 23 June Announced

nealbie

CF Legend
We'll finally find out over the next few months what the actual benefits/drawbacks are to EU membership, which is very exciting.

I'm on the fence until we get said information.

Nationally it's seemingly pretty close but leaning more towards staying in the EU.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Im similar Neal, i don't know enough to make an informed decision and i know people that put out very strong arguments for both staying and leaving. An interesting development though, Boris Johnson who is in the running for the next conservative leader is expected to want to leave...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35625037

nealbie

CF Legend
I get the feeling that the result of the referendum will decide who the next Prime Minister is.

If we stay it'll be George Osborne and if we leave it'll be Boris. I also think if we do leave, there will be pressure on David Cameron to step down.

Dave

CF Legend
Personally I think we should stay in the EU.

The whole anti-EU debate just reminds me of that scene in Life of Brian where someone goes "What has the EU ever done for us!!???"

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
I'm undecided, I don't really know what is and what isn't best, but it's certainly something I will look into and vote accordingly.

I'm just annoyed I'm on my field trip in Skye at the time...postal vote it is!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It's one of the trickiest decisions for anyone to make. The problem is that there just isn't any certainty of outcome for staying or leaving. Nobody can definitively say "it will cost £xbn/xx million jobs if we leave." It's just a great big hole of unknown. Nobody even knows what kind of deal can be struck about leaving. How can you make a decision whether to vote to stay or not if there isn't even a plan in place for what happens if you vote to leave?

The only thing you can really do is look at if the benefits of staying in the EU are enough for you to think it's worth staying. Forget the rhetoric, look at the ways the EU benefits you. I guess the most obvious is giving people a broader justice. It's possible (to a degree) to go over the heads of legal powers in the UK to try and get resolution. Other than that, I don't really know of much else? I'm sure people have looked into it in detail?

Balance that with the negatives being in the EU brings - things like vulnerability in cases like the Greek financial crisis - and there are your answers really. In terms of impact, we won't know until we leave what impact there realistically is.

From a personal morality point of view, I believe that the world should be getting smaller. We should be trying to unite in a single "people", rather than trying to add walls and barriers. We can't do that if everyone remains insular and alone. The problem there is that people are by nature selfish, so some member states will use the EU to bolster themselves at our cost. The question is, should be lead by example or tell them to **** off?

I don't have answers and haven't decided yet how to vote. Keep the status quo or take the risk? However, it's vital that everyone does enough research of both sides to make an honest decision and to vote. It's vital that everyone has a say in this matter and it's as well thought out as possible. Either decision will have a huge impact on the future of the country. This isn't a political decision - it's not voting for favourites - this will affect everyone 10, 20, 30+ years down the line. It's important to me that everyone votes one way, and in the best educated manner possible.

I doubt that will be possible as both sides will be too interested in mud slinging and throwing around their own agendas - but it's worth trying to cut through it...

Dar

Hyper Poster
I honestly believe that the other countries will be very petty if the UK voted to leave. Personally I like being able to travel freely without needing a visa!

jackdude101

Roller Poster
Dave said:
Someone actually made a EU In argument with the "What have the Romans ever done for us? scene from Life of Brian

https://giant.gfycat.com/SilkyBoringHor ... fminer.gif

Won't show for some reason. Link will have to suffice.

That .gif was pretty clever and I liked it overall; however, it lost me when it said that one of things the EU has done is bring peace. Technically, that distinction belongs to NATO. Until there is a true united and centralized European Military Command, the EU cannot truthfully claim that it brings peace. People forget that NATO exists now and then for some reason.

Dave

CF Legend
jackdude101 said:
Dave said:
Someone actually made a EU In argument with the "What have the Romans ever done for us? scene from Life of Brian

https://giant.gfycat.com/SilkyBoringHor ... fminer.gif

Won't show for some reason. Link will have to suffice.

That .gif was pretty clever and I liked it overall; however, it lost me when it said that one of things the EU has done is bring peace. Technically, that distinction belongs to NATO. Until there is a true united and centralized European Military Command, the EU cannot truthfully claim that it brings peace. People forget that NATO exists now and then for some reason.

I'm guessing you've not seen Life of Brian?

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Let's bring this topic a little closer to our hearts:

Which outcome would be best for the UK theme park industry?
In or out?

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
furie said:
From a personal morality point of view, I believe that the world should be getting smaller. We should be trying to unite in a single "people", rather than trying to add walls and barriers. We can't do that if everyone remains insular and alone. The problem there is that people are by nature selfish, so some member states will use the EU to bolster themselves at our cost. The question is, should be lead by example or tell them to **** off?

This is pretty much why i voted remain (Postal vote I'll be drunk in a field this week so cant vote on the day).

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Well, uh... congratulations?

The UK used to be one of the drivers of the EU bus, but now voted to take its hand off the wheel, with little actual possibility of getting off the bus.

Have a seat next to Norway. It's getting lonely here in the back.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Fools. Utter f**king fools.

I live and work abroad and get paid in Hong Kong dollars. The pound dropping benefits me greatly in the short term, but I'm not so short-sighted, stupid and downright selfish to have even had that as a consideration.

Idiots and old people. F**k old people. The doddering old c**ts will be dead soon anyway, leaving the rest of us to deal with their mess.

Smithy

Strata Poster
ClsWAyYUYAAQGPh.jpg

Old ****.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Feeling pretty gutted at the moment - so the EU wasn't perfect, but now we've got to wait until an exit plan has been finalised, then we'll need to renegotiate trade links, etc...

And once that's all done, no one will notice too much different, except the fact that several companies based here no longer have European customers. I can't think of a single industry/business area which won't be affected.

Still - At least we've got "our country back" (whatever that means) and can be "great" again.... :(

Howie

Donkey in a hat
So let me get this straight... as a result of all this democratic freedom, we now get a prime minister that nobody voted for? :shock: