What's new

UK Referendum on EU Membership for 23 June Announced

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Howie said:
So let me get this straight... as a result of all this democratic freedom, we now get a prime minister that nobody voted for? :shock:

You never vote for a prime minister anyway, you vote for a local MP to represent you. The PM is just an annoying twat at the head :p

Dave

CF Legend
The Leave vote have it, wanting to make Great Britain 'great' again by making Scotland and N.Ireland (well not officially) national referendums to leave themselves.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
From what I understand, this is pretty much saying that one of the major draws to the Leave vote was a sham.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/GMB/status/746218028195426305[/tweet]

TilenB

Strata Poster
^ If people voted 'leave' due to that stupid claim and the hideous bus they've painted it on, they're idiots and should never be trusted with any sort of money. UK has effectively lost more money in the past 24h than a few years of EU membership would've cost them...

mouse

Giga Poster
That £350m was widely reported to be untrue throughout the campaigning, it almost became a drawback for the leave campaign as they were getting so much criticism for it... Yet still many uninformed voters didn't question it.

In all honesty, I think leave won because of its support from Daily Mail and the Sun, and the immigration scaremongering of the campaign. Not all, but a significant percentage of Leave voters were most probably old, uninformed and, well... A bit stupid. The whole uninformed 'bloody immigrants taking our jobs' argument has become widely acceptable, and more hatred is beginning to spread - especially alongside Donald Trump's presidential campaign. Along with the majority of younger voters, I am not happy with result at all, in fact I'm quite ashamed of it. But what's done is done, somehow the divide within the country will have to unite otherwise the situation will intensify further. Tbh I think for a decision as big as this should need a larger majority to be passed.

But yeah, it's great that we've 'taken back control', whatever the **** that means.

TilenB

Strata Poster
^ I don't really get the pensioners. More immigrants getting jobs will only result in more money for their pension fund. It's the only thing that they should care about, it's not like they can still shape the future with any sort of stupidity they can think of.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Not really arsed.

Whilst I voted to remain I'm not going to lose any sleep over us leaving. The EU most certainly has its flaws and being a leading contributor obviously has its perks it also costs us the most. I dont think this will massively affect us average joes.

It also seems a large portion of my fellow remain voters are getting the EU confused with the various other world and European treaties we belong to such as NATO, UN, G8, G20, WTO and so on...

Whilst I agree we should have stayed we are not going to decline as a county because of this, we may be seen as a racist or more sovereign country but that's only by those who fail to fully understand the EU and its differences from other organisations. Considering there are only 27 members in the EU yet there are over 50 countries in Europe are we really that isolated? Would you label Norway and Switzerland racist for not joining in the first place?

Anyway, I have a few hundred euros in my pocket so I'm off to exchange these for enough £ to buy a house...

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
On a personal note, I lost near $4K yesterday. Hopefully my stocks will bounce back sooner rather than later.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Yesterday was such an overreaction in the global markets, it should correct itself in the next week or so.

Working for a bank we had some press releases we were required to quote if asked about it. It'll be interesting to see what comes of this. People are overreacting like crazy right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It's only been two days and already things are coming off the rails in Scotland...

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Sandman

Giga Poster
furie said:
It's only been two days and already things are coming off the rails in Scotland...

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

This is what happens when you chuck away EU regulations.