What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

Efteldingus

Mega Poster
I have to say, the banking on that outerbank looks a lot more extreme than I was anticipating; it banks quite sharply at the beginning, and the banking angle is a lot steeper than I was expecting!
Same here. I expected this to be an outerbank into the roll, but it is most definitely an overbank. I wonder if you'll maybe even get some hangtime on it, especially when it's running slower.

English Coaster Guy

Roller Poster
Whatever it's going to be called you can bet your bottom dollar it's going to scare the living hell out of the average theme park guest.

That's why I think they've nailed it. Sure, all us goons would have wanted a couple of extra airtime hills but the average guest won't give two hoots. It's gonna blow peoples minds. That's why I'm not so sure on 'Find Your Fearless'... I think this particular element could put people off rollercoasters for life (even with Thomas The Tank Engine trains).

I'm excited, at last.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I've been referring to it as a twisted outerbank dive for some time now. It twists, it's an outerbank and dive seems to be used for stuff that inverts now. So that's what I've been going for.

Whether Thorpe/Mack will call it something RMC-esque, or go for something more like a Burton Roll (after the designer John Burton), a Silkstone Dive or a Monks Walk Twist, remains to be seen.

FogZog

Mega Poster
Whatever it's going to be called you can bet your bottom dollar it's going to scare the living hell out of the average theme park guest.

That's why I think they've nailed it. Sure, all us goons would have wanted a couple of extra airtime hills but the average guest won't give two hoots. It's gonna blow peoples minds. That's why I'm not so sure on 'Find Your Fearless'... I think this particular element could put people off rollercoasters for life (even with Thomas The Tank Engine trains).

I'm excited, at last.
I think some people will definitely pick up on the length. Was at Thorpe Park a couple weeks ago and heard multiple comments about the length of the queue compared to the ride duration.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
monks-roll

I like that. You say it's daft, Hixee, but there's way dafter already out there (the death roll, the mososaurus roll, the 270° double inverting corner stall etc...)
In comparison, Monks Roll has a rather nice ring to it.
That's what I'm going with and I'm gonna keep calling it that in the hope that it sticks.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster

… Tank Engine Roll.

wecqdya.gif

Matt N

CF Legend
I think some people will definitely pick up on the length. Was at Thorpe Park a couple weeks ago and heard multiple comments about the length of the queue compared to the ride duration.
I’d argue that that might be more of a comment about roller coasters in general rather than the length of a specific ride.

You often hear comments along the lines of “I can’t believe I queued 2 hours for a 30 second ride!” or similar, but from my experience, those comments are often more of a commentary on roller coasters in general rather than a criticism of the length of a specific ride. I think those sentiments would probably still exist for some whether the ride was 20 seconds from lift to brakes or 1 minute 20 seconds from lift to brakes.

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
It all depends on *what you do* with the 20 seconds. It could be the genuinely most incredible 20 seconds of your entire life, and that's how you justify a X hour queue. It becomes worse when the experience ends up underwhelming you.

Obviously a shorter ride would need more 'going on' to be worth a long wait, but that's very often the case. Stealth is short but you have one of the world's strongest accelerations up and down a 200ft top hat to make up for it, for example. A short ride should be "go hard start to finish with zero breaks in between anything" and that sounds exactly like Hyperia.

FogZog

Mega Poster
I’d argue that that might be more of a comment about roller coasters in general rather than the length of a specific ride.

UK rollercoasters for sure… luckily ours seem to be short but sweet. Hyperia looks like a short but sweet situation, just wish that last hill into the brakes was a double up 🙃

Sandman

Giga Poster
Throughput is key when it comes to ride duration remarks, particularly from the GP. If something is like walk on - 10 mins wait, there isn't a lot of time to anticipate the ride experience.

When you start queuing for 30+ mins, the patience wears thin (GP mainly).

I think this also highlights the importance of a well designed queue line and need for decent theming, story and music, especially when it comes to these big, modern signature coasters.

One of the ugliest sights known to man happens to be a jam packed cattle pen with nothing but walls and/or fences to look at. It's a scientific fact.

toofpikk

Mega Poster
I think this also highlights the importance of a well designed queue line and need for decent theming, story and music, especially when it comes to these big, modern signature coasters.

One of the ugliest sights known to man happens to be a jam packed cattle pen with nothing but walls and/or fences to look at. It's a scientific fact.
It’s true. And it’s my biggest pet irk with the merlin parks at the moment.

I cannot stand the unsightly form all merlin queues have taken in the last 10 years, with rotten unpainted wood barriers and fences holding you in line, or never ending cattle-pens (or in the nightmare scenario, both at once). The queue line journey and experience is such a simple thing to get correct but it always seems like they are the bottom of the priority list budget wise which leads to really awful first impressions of an attraction. I really hope hyperia does this differently, such an easy win that seems too often overlooked.