What's new

The Games we play...

walker1104

Mega Poster
Like most others, I've been playing a lot of Skyrim recently too. I absolutely love this game! It's so addictive and so easy just to lose hours and hours to it. It's brilliant! There's just so much to do, I've barely even touched the main quest yet. I keep getting distracted with side quests and exploring random places. I'd definitely recommend it!

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
Ugh my roommates play Skyrim 24/7, tried it for a while and didn't like it too much. Then again i'm not into RPGS. Absolutely loving MW3 right now, run and gunning FTW :lol:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ben said:
I love Zelda and will probably hate Skyrim Phil >__<

If it's anything like Oblivion, that made me want to die.

Although, haha, rim.

LOL! Yeah, probably true. I never played Oblivion though, or any other Elder Scrolls games so I couldn't tell you how it compares. I tried Fallout and found it laborious and a chore, yet Skyrim just works...

Ploddish said:
Phil, I think they're different sides of the same coin. Zelda doesn't really let you stray off the path too much, with there not being that much content besides fetch quests and the like, whereas Skyrim has whole arcs of plot contained in cities that you don't ever need to visit on the main quest. I absolutely love that you are able to do *absolutely anything you like* 10 minutes after the game has started, so much so that one of the writers of rockpapershotgun has spent 50+ hours on it, and hasn't seen a single dragon.

I think it's "rich". After a while, you think "I've done this dungeon before, and been down this corridor, and I'm about to get attacked by dead people from here..." kind of thing. It's obvious and repetitive, only...

The way the game allows you to play the way you want to play changes it completely. You find a grove that works for you and go with it. Do you sneak and use light armour but great big weapons to kill in a single stroke? Wade in heavily armoured with shots from a bow and a follow up with sword and shield? Use double magic? Double singe handed swords? As you say Ploddish, the freedom that adds richness to the gameplay. That's compounded then by the fact that just as you think it's yet another dungeon grind, the story arc you sit in throws you completely off. There's a greater story you're suddenly involved in, and the way you approach it has to change on the fly, and it allows it so fluidly, it's superb.

Minor_Furie is playing it without using any magic! How the hell is he doing that? But it's how the game works for him.

Then yes, there's the game world and story richness. The sheer scale of the game is unreal. So many story arcs criss-crossing, everyone with their own tale to tell (and an almost decent amount of taped on conversation pieces for the drones) and so many ways to just waste your time in the wilderness making up your own stuff to do. Fancy becoming a mammoth hunter today? Why not? Just watch out for the giants guarding the herd!

So yeah, it's just huge, but that wouldn't work unless the controls and action system held together too and they do. The menuing is a little clunky at times, but you have so much to work on (left and right hands for both weapons and magic, armouring, shouts, scrolls, potions, etc) that it works as well as it could do.

It's a grind, but the combat system melds to you, rather than you trying to shoehorn into it. It reminds me of both the original Thief and Deus Ex, only with the scale of a GTA game - this is a long way from a bad thing :)

Lain

Giga Poster
Yeah, Skyrim is badass. I properly love it.

I've also been playing a lot of Football Manager, and owning these two games is not conducive to a productive lifestyle. ¬_¬

kimahri

CF Legend
381081_10150425642099039_535499038_8748440_638192346_n.jpg

Nightingale <3

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
It's been a while since I've posted in here, but I might as well add what I can.

Modern Warfare 3
This goose has been cooked. I played the campaign in one evening and didn't even bother with multiplayer or spec ops. The campaign was fairly meh. The story didn't really seem inspiring and wasn't anywhere near as exciting as the first two. There were some cool missions, but nothing we've never seen before. I did like the last mission and the juggernaut portion of it. I've gotten sick of COD multiplayer, so why bother trying it out on this one. The game dynamics will be exploited by February anyway. Spec ops does look like a lot of fun and I really enjoyed the game mode in MW2, but I don't have the time or the people to dedicate any time to beating them. Overall, the game was very meh and I have no idea how they're going to keep the franchise going. 6/10

Gears of War 3
I was pleasantly surprised with Gears of War 2, but Gears 3 wasn't quite as good in my opinion. The Gears gameplay is great and the story was very good, but it just seemed to be lacking a little bit somewhere(It's probably just me getting sick of FPS's). It was a fun game and I'm glad I got to see that bitch die at the end. 7.5/10

I'm currently playing Battlefield 3, so I'll have a write up when I'm done with that. Here's the rest of my list of games to play:

FEAR3
Halo: CE Anniversary
Brink
Assassin's Creed: Revelations
L.A. Noire

kimahri

CF Legend
To me MW3 looks like its going to be the last big CoD game. The series has reached its peak in sales and a lot of people are just, burnt out from it now. It's ran it course. Doesn't mean they're not going to stop making them but I imagine the sales are going to be considerably less now.

Thankfully we have Skyrim. Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap. I got an Ebony bow last night bitches.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It's all about glass Kim...

I don't know about the whole MW thing to be honest. I think there's a lot of mugs out there who are hungry to buy the same thing year in and year out. It's the gaming equivalent of being given a dummy to suck on.

kimahri

CF Legend
It'll still sell. Of course. But I'm seeming this similar to Halo. After Halo 3 exploded (in the terms of that period) all the recent halo games have yet to get as much attention and possibly sales (haven't checked them like).

Also Ebony is the one above Glass and below Daedric. Shame the armor is heavy and therefor useless to me. Nightingale bow and armor <3. Perfect for sneaky little twats like me.

Ben

CF Legend
Yeah, I can see it dropping off like Reach did after 3, but, half of what MW3 sold is still really worth making a game for.

I can see them doing another "Black Ops" next year, and then, who knows. CoD in space?

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
They're running out of unique additions for their games. World War II and Modern Warfare have been beaten to a pulp. I really wouldn't like to see COD go to space because of all the futuristic sci fi games already out there. I'm not sure what else they could put in their games to make them special.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^No. Space would be a terrible idea. ;)

COD's place is realistic/semi-realistic gaming. Putting the gamer in real life war-zone type situations. It just wouldn't work in space as you'd lose the feel of it being real. I agree though, whilst I've not played much MW3, I think the franchise might need a break for a bit, it seems like it's getting a bit tired.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Call of Duty: Medieval Warfare.

I can see it coming. Wouldn't be as much quick-scoping with crossbows (aiming, you say? Precision wasn't invented back then). Longbows would be great for sniping, but you can't run around with an arrow on the string, and it's fairly useless when lying down.

Swords could make for some interesting situations. And once you get on a horse, you're practically unstoppable. That is, until the enemy gets hold of a pike.

Nah, wait, I can just play Mount&Blade.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Battlefield 3

This just adds more proof to the idea that first person shooters are trite. The game was pretty realistic, and once again, it had a good story. There were many instances where I walked through a certain part of a level and thought to myself how much it looked like a part of a level from a different game. I probably would have enjoyed the game more if they would have came up with something new or unique.

6.5/10

Up next is Halo: CE Anniversary.

Pierre

Strata Poster
I think the thing with MW3 is the game engine makes it easy for anyone to pick the game up and play... they're always pretty good at keeping the game as fresh as possible with new game modes e.t.c and the fact they alternate developers means you don't know quite what to expect one year to the next.

However saying that they have been using the same engine since 2007 so its probably the next thing that needs a bit of a refresh however changing the way a game plays is a big risk and you can understand why they don't want to change it at the minute.

The Call of Duty Elite addition is just stupid though.

Ben

CF Legend
I'd really like to see Infinity Ward just move on to other FPSs now. They're actually a really good developer, the CoD games are still really good, just short.

But, I think one more Black Ops one, then Infinity Ward will do one more, noone will care about it as much, and they'll get to go off and do something more original. Maybe in Space.

Also, SKYRIM <3