What's new

That moment when you realize ...

TLARides

Hyper Poster
I honestly have never seen or heard of the "Rollercoaster" film.

I have however heard of a rollercoaster film involving an old guy who wants to ride a Euthanasia Coaster before he dies (and of course he dies on the coaster).

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
I made my dad track down a video copy of this film for me when I was about 9 years old. <3

If I remember correctly, he convinced a local video shop to order it in.

Ahhh the days before the internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TLARides

Hyper Poster
I made my dad track down a video copy of this film for me when I was about 9 years old. <3

If I remember correctly, he convinced a local video shop to order it in.

Ahhh the days before the internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They absolutely sucked, didn't they?

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Howie

Donkey in a hat
If anyone is in any doubt as to how bad this film actually is, then feast your eyes upon the theatrical trailer.

Need further proof? Then here, for your viewing pleasure, is the, ahem... 'highlight' sequence. Be warned, many mennequins were harmed during the making of this movie. Poor things.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
As for tree growth at SFMM, sadly the opposite has happened elsewhere. Goldrusher used to careen through a beautiful, lush forested area, swooping right over the surface of a lake for its biggest dip. Now it looks as if it's chugging through a backlot construction and storage area, which it more or less is. :(

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Gah, what a horrible movie. Just watch the Brady Bunch Kings Island episode, National Lampoon's Vacation, Adventureland, or Zombieland instead.

davidm

Strata Poster
I'm sure that everyone here has had a similar experience: you're having a conversation with someone who purports to be a real coaster enthusiast, but at some point in the conversation it becomes evident that this person hasn't seen the 1977 film _Rollercoaster_ and the façade comes crashing down.

This raises an interesting philosophical question: Could there be some point at which a person rides enough coasters (assumedly, it would have to be in the thousands) so as to eventually *compensate* for this egregious deficit and become an honorary 'enthusiast' in some sense, or is this sort of lacuna simply an unbridgeable chasm?
Going back to the original subject of this thread (rather than just a discussion on how good or bad a film is), I think this kinda raises an interesting point. Its also something that I think we've seen on the Facebook chat-group thing that has led to some interesting debate (or Facebook-slanging matches anyway).

The point is, why does the way that someone else enjoys roller coasters seem to get other roller coaster enthusiasts so upset? Or to put it another way, why does everyone have to enjoy the hobby in exactly the same way that you enjoy it for you to even believe that they enjoy it? Why should the fact that someone else likes or does not like a ride affect my enjoyment of that ride?

Not specifically picking on MG here because the original post is (well I assume it is!) somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but it seems to be that someone can't possibly be a "true" roller coaster enthusiast if;
  • they count how many they have ridden
  • they don't know how many they have ridden
  • they ride kiddie-creds
  • they don't ride kiddie-creds
  • they only go to their local park(s)
  • they travel all around the world in search of a +1 caterpillar ride
  • they count go-gators
  • they ride go-gators
  • they only ride/like wooden coasters
  • they do not ride clones
or
(other reasons for not being "true" are available)

We're a weird bunch really then. :)

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
This raises an interesting philosophical question: Could there be some point at which a person rides enough coasters (assumedly, it would have to be in the thousands) so as to eventually *compensate* for this egregious deficit and become an honorary 'enthusiast' in some sense, or is this sort of lacuna simply an unbridgeable chasm?
I'm still here trying to work out what this even says
c0hY6lJ.jpg

mouse

Giga Poster
^ I tried translating it into German then back to English in the hope it would come out simpler and easier to understand. All I got was this:
This raises an interesting philosophical question: Could there be a point at which a man rides enough merriment (assuming it should be in the thousands) to finally compensate for this monstrous deficit and become a honorary enthusiast? Is this kind of lacquer simply an unbreakable gap?

So yeah, I'd agree that this lacquer is simply an unbreakable gap.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Going back to the original subject of this thread (rather than just a discussion on how good or bad a film is), I think this kinda raises an interesting point. Its also something that I think we've seen on the Facebook chat-group thing that has led to some interesting debate (or Facebook-slanging matches anyway).

The point is, why does the way that someone else enjoys roller coasters seem to get other roller coaster enthusiasts so upset? Or to put it another way, why does everyone have to enjoy the hobby in exactly the same way that you enjoy it for you to even believe that they enjoy it? Why should the fact that someone else likes or does not like a ride affect my enjoyment of that ride?

Not specifically picking on MG here because the original post is (well I assume it is!) somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but it seems to be that someone can't possibly be a "true" roller coaster enthusiast if;
  • they count how many they have ridden
  • they don't know how many they have ridden
  • they ride kiddie-creds
  • they don't ride kiddie-creds
  • they only go to their local park(s)
  • they travel all around the world in search of a +1 caterpillar ride
  • they count go-gators
  • they ride go-gators
  • they only ride/like wooden coasters
  • they do not ride clones
or
(other reasons for not being "true" are available)

We're a weird bunch really then. :)
Yes, I was pretending to be a nerdo-fascist with insanely strict and ridiculously idiosyncratic standards to judge and separate the GENUINE ENTHUSIAST from the imposter. In reality (and to answer your question), I think 'enthusiast' is just a self-imposed label of passion. It might also convey a certain level of knowledge, but I don't think it has to. And I certainly don't think it's some category that is totally distinct from the non-enthusiast muggles. In fact, 90% of the time, the mere term G.P. makes me cringe -- not because there's something inherently wrong with it, but because of the way I so often see it used (with a tone of nerdy, unearned self-congratulation).

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'm going to pick up on the two points this thread has generated.

Firstly, the film is crap. Fab crap, though. One of those cheesy Sunday afternoon films that you can put on the in background, not have to pay attention to and let it wash over you. Like a Roger Moore Bond film, Clue and anything starring Robin Williams. I do think every goon should watch it, not for the value it will bring to your goondom, but because it's about a rller coaster. And that's what we all love, right?

The second point is about goons in general. I reckon theme park/coaster enthusiasts are probably the most judgemental group on the planet. Scoffing at "basics" with low coaster counts who have no desire to widen their goon horizons, rolling our eyes at the "general public" (I also hate that term) when they call a corkscrew a loop-de-loop and getting wound up at journalists doing their job by sensationally writing hyperbolic articles about a cred stopping on a lift hill. SCHTOP!! I might like the colour green but I hate red. That's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. It doesn't mean I'm wrong, have to justify it and I certainly should not be mocked because of it. At the end of the day, I'm happy to see people enjoying theme parks and learning about creds, regardless of their experience. I do wish the judgemental side of goonism would disappear. Ohh, how very judgemental of me...

davidm

Strata Poster
Major necro-BUMP...

But (in the UK at least), that fantastic "Rollercoaster" movie has recently been re-issued in a BluRay special edition thingy - eg HERE

Just thought you'd like to know. ;)

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Major necro-BUMP...

But (in the UK at least), that fantastic "Rollercoaster" movie has recently been re-issued in a BluRay special edition thingy - eg HERE

Just thought you'd like to know. ;)
And the world we live in has become a slightly better place ...

RestlessRider

Roller Poster
I saw this flick in the theaters when it came out in 1977. I was a huge fan of the disaster movies of the time - Poseidon Adventure, Towering Inferno, Earthquake, Airport, Airport 1975 - but Rollercoaster was a big disappointment. I remember walking out of the theater and being so angry that I had wasted $2 of my hard-earned lawn-mowing money on this film. I mean, the great disaster movies had great peril and death and destruction and some cool special effects, but Rollercoaster didn't deliver in any of those areas. It was a really boring two-hour ride.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
I saw this flick in the theaters when it came out in 1977. I was a huge fan of the disaster movies of the time - Poseidon Adventure, Towering Inferno, Earthquake, Airport, Airport 1975 - but Rollercoaster was a big disappointment. I remember walking out of the theater and being so angry that I had wasted $2 of my hard-earned lawn-mowing money on this film. I mean, the great disaster movies had great peril and death and destruction and some cool special effects, but Rollercoaster didn't deliver in any of those areas. It was a really boring two-hour ride.
Heh heh — The director was actually extremely touchy about people lumping this film in with the disaster movie trend of the day. He insisted that it’s not a disaster film; it’s a suspense film about a killer.

Not that that means your lawn-mowing youthful self was any less correct in your view of the movie.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
And actually, it was in a way the effects that made me love this film as a kid. Coaster POVs were really rare back then, and I was excited that this movie “let me ride” The Rocket at Ocean View Park, building suspense along the way and even having a scare shot that makes us think we’re flying off the rails.

That POV, the extensive shots of Kings Dominion, and the prominent use of my home park Magic Mountain were all enough to make the future coaster enthusiast in me love this film. Now I love it with a sense of schlocky nostalgia.

rob666

Hyper Poster
This was the point I realised my fun weekends to the coast was actually an obsession...
Everyone I knew asked if I had seen it yet, with a smirk on their faces.
Saw it about a dozen times in its first release tour, even saw it in Blackpool on holiday.
I was a teenage coaster geek.