What's new

Texas Giant opening date confirmed

RCF

Strata Poster
Amusement Today said:
Texas Giant's new 79-degree first drop installed (July 1, 2010) The enhancement project on the Texas Giant at Six Flags Over Texas took another major step forward today, or in this case a forward drop, as in the coaster's steep first drop being installed. Workers from Rocky Mountain Construction Group installed the steepest sections of the Giant's new first drop, now measured at 79-degrees, with the anchoring of the steel Iron Horse coaster track to the coaster's wooden structure. The super hybrid coaster was topped off several weeks ago and now stands 10 feet taller than before, pushing the ride to beyond 150-feet in total height. When the ride reopens in 2011, it will reach speeds in excess of 65 mph and feature the 79-degree first drop and 95-degree banked curves. Shown here, workers install the steel rails for the first drop, Park President Steve Martindale discusses the ride's new features with the media, and two bottom views show the new valley and pullout after the first drop
http://www.amusementtoday.com/

TexasGiantJuly1.gif

Ok I know I said this earlier, but I'm SERIOUSLY going the next chance I can before I leave for Honduras so either tomorrow or sometime next week (as I'm busy for the 4th of July weekend).

F.A.S.T.

Hyper Poster
Man, this is such a sweet transformation. The trains are going to fly so smoothly (hopefully) around the track.
Cedar Fair should take a hint. [Mean Streak]

RCF

Strata Poster
WFAA Dallas News said:
We're seeing how the new Texas Giant roller coaster is coming together at the Six Flags Over Texas theme park in Arlington.

On Thursday, workers were adding on part of the new track. When it's done, it will be a "hybrid" coaster made of wood and steel.

Plans are for the Texas Giant to reopen next year at the park's 50th anniversary celebration.

The new version will have the steepest drop in the world for a wooden roller coaster: 79 degrees. It's peak will be ten feet higher than the original Texas Giant.

It will also have the steepest bank for a wooden coaster at 95 degrees.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Progress ... 44004.html

Nothing we don't know but this is from a local news station here in Dallas.

RCF

Strata Poster
Double post, ooh naughty :p

I went to SFOT today and got some pictures (and there will be a construction update video thingy coming out on the CF YouTube page sometime later today or tomorrow). Well here they are:

From the parking lot
dsc02731n.jpg

Through the trees
dsc02746v.jpg

From the top of the Oil Derrick (tower)
dsc02749w.jpg

You know, as I'm walking through the park, I look at TG and forget it's a woodie, and keep thinking it's merely a over supported steel coaster.

RCF

Strata Poster
Damn! My sister is once again being a huge bitch so there's likely to be no video update. :x Because I only got two videos from the same place because she deleted the other one.

:x :x :x

RCF

Strata Poster
That's why I hate my sister at times. BUT, got a good pic as another piece of track was placed in the drop today, here's how it looks as of today:

36838_1383183099115_1218096475_31061393_5533616_n.jpg

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
We've seen only a fraction of the ride and it already looks absolutely nuts. I'm curious to see what they do to the huge turning hills.

RCF

Strata Poster
A couple of days old but I promise within this week I will have new photos up! :)

The ride from the Oil Derrick
giant_4_tpr_1.jpg

First part of the double up
giant_4_tpr_2.jpg

Updated diagram
20_texas_giant_refurb_demo_july_21_tpr.png

At the bottom you can see some new ledgers beneath the double up. Possibly the ledgers for the finale of the ride?
giant_4_tpr_3.jpg

Like I said, I will have more pictures coming up as soon as I possibly can.

RCF

Strata Poster
Well right now I feel like an idiot for forgetting my phone in the car (which means no pictures), so I will being pictures back on my next visit (Friday) but all I can say is "WOW!!!!".

I mean, the drop looks absolutely incredible. The drop looks so sexy, and you can tell they're about to start working on the second half of the double up. This thing is really looking great, and if you've got the drop already looking that great and an awesome airtime opportunity, then I'm really looking forward to see the rest of the ride.

RCF

Strata Poster
I was able to go to Six Flags today, and although I got no pictures (bitchy sister meant no phone cuz "I don't need one, who am I gonna talk to" stupid ****), but I can tell you this.

There is track completed right next to the double up after the first drop, which I'm guessing is the turnaround going into what used to be the brake run, and also some track that I think is under the double up itself. Now here's something interesting. There are new signs all around the station and construction site. On the station is a sign reading,

"'Giant' Construction
Texas Giant 2011
#1 Wooden (the word wooden is striked out) Coaster
Super Hybrid Coaster (which replaces wooden)"

Below that on the same sign it says, "Steepest drop on a wooden coaster at 79 degrees" and something I didn't expect, "Steepest bank on a wooden roller coaster in the world at 112 degrees". This is certainly something not heard before and if it is indeed 112 degrees, then holy **** that will super insane. I will try and get pictures ASAP which may be sometime this weekend, if not, I will most definitely post pictures posted from my bud on TPR (but I'd much rather prefer getting them for myself :wink:).

RCF

Strata Poster
Well I knew if I just edited the post it wouldn't have really been viewed but thanks to my buddy Zingoman from TPR, we have pictures of the signs!!

I'm guessing this is the new logo :p Supposedly it's the original logo used back in 89 and 90 (without the "New" part of course)
tpr1_2.jpg

Sign on the station
tpr2_1.jpg

One of several on the fence leading to Titan
tpr3_2.jpg

Another on the way to Titan
tpr4_2.jpg

tpr5_1.jpg

tpr6_1.jpg

tpr7_1.jpg

The signs location in relation to the Giant
tpr8_0.jpg

This is a banner on the other side of the park towards the Looney Tunes section
tpr9_1.jpg

A low bunny hop right next to the double up, and this is right after another big drop which means more airtime again
giant_tpr1.jpg

The view from the pullout of the drop
giant_tpr2.jpg

And to end it, a new graphic
tpr_22_texas_giant_refurb_demo_aug_8.png

Lofty

CF Legend
Wow.

I thought that this was going to end up looking VERY ugly and the steel track out of place. It has really shocked me how 'fitted' in it looks. It looks like it will have some HUGE airtime!