What's new

Texas Giant opening date confirmed

RCF

Strata Poster
They definitely are getting good work done. Sadly, today I could only get one picture without my sister yelling at me. But the lift hill is completely gone (except for the structure of course) and only half of the drop still remains. They have started the ascent of the lift hill, and the turnaround out of the station is almost done. They've also torn up the first bank after the drop.

This is located right at the bottom of the first drop, and also leads into the first AND second bankings (the second one leads to the brake run):
0424001732.jpg

RCF

Strata Poster
(Sorry for the DP) Just discovered this update from Amusement Today (it's from April 27th and some of it you guys already know) :

Amusement Today said:
The massive $10 million overhaul of the Texas Giant wooden coaster at Six Flags Over Texas reached another milestone late last week when construction crews reached the halfway mark on the removal of the wooden track. A new and innovative I-Box Steel track system is being added on the ride, with the first curved section having been installed between the transfer track and base of the lift hill. Rocky Mountain Construction of Hayden, Idaho is overseeing the coaster's makeover. When the ride opens next season it will also feature a new and innovative train design from Germany's Gerstlauer Amusement Rides GmbH. The park is describing the new coaster as a 'super hybrid'.

TexasGiant_anim.gif

This goes along with my picture above.

RCF

Strata Poster
A triple post? I should be banned :p

Here's an update taken from Theme Park Review as I haven't gotten a chance to go to the park lately.

As you can see in this photo, the station now has the steel structure as the rest of the lift hill.
thumb_img_0781_0.jpg

Here's a pic of the turnaround out of the station
thumb_img_0625.jpg

Beginning of the lift hill
thumb_img_0623.jpg

And this is pretty self explanatory
thumb_11texasgiantrefurbdemomay9.png

Tomatron

Giga Poster
It's gonna be quite a transformation when it's finished.

Seabreeze converted their old Wooden side friction ride into a steel tubular ride many years ago, but nothing like on the scale of this ride.

RCF

Strata Poster
And me :wink:

EDIT: A really nice picture of Texas Giant from atop the Oil Derrick tower courtesy of Screamscape:

db_2010_0518_TexasGiant61.jpg

And a picture from same place, yet it shows the whole coaster:
db_2010_0518_TexasGiant9.jpg

It makes me sad seeing it like that :( . At least it's for good reason

ANOTHER EDIT: In the above picture (of the whole coaster) as you can see the pieces of track there, I went to Six Flags and discovered only the bunny hop remains and the track behind it is gone. All they need to do is remove the bunny hop and some of the track before the hill finale (that wraps around the coaster) and they can start focusing more on the placing of the steel track.

RCF

Strata Poster
14TexasGiantrefurbdemoMay30.png

Today I went to Hurricane Harbor and also got a good view of TG. According to the graphic, all the track has finally been removed (and I saw it myself) so there should be nothing else to do except build. BUT what I found interesting is that most of the drop structure has been removed but when you look at it, you can tell that the structure looks like it's getting ready to support a steep drop, so perhaps they'll be starting to work on the drop. :)

RCF

Strata Poster
Oooh TP.

They have reached the top of the lift hill!

30457_437290755990_65853440990_6228219_1397739_n.jpg

The Crest
30457_437290770990_65853440990_6228221_916551_n.jpg

First piece of track starting the descent
30457_437290785990_65853440990_6228222_6578964_n.jpg

And the whole lift hill
30457_437290750990_65853440990_6228218_890378_n.jpg

I'll be going sometime in the week and I'll try to take some better photos. :)

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I know they are going to add catwalks and handrails, but that looks really strange right now. At least progress is being made. I can't wait to see this drop.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Does nobody else think it's so ugly it makes them want to cry? Just me?

Snoo

The Legend
Well I'd wait for the finished product to pass judgment on looks.. but it isn't as bad as Sky Rockets trains.. lol

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
They're going to need to invest in a lot of this to make it look good then:
turd-polish.gif

Sure the ride will be fine and stuff, but it really does look nasty...

RCF

Strata Poster
^I have to agree with you furie. I mean they could at leas do SOMETHING to make the track look more accommodating to the structure or vice versa. But it still will *hopefully* be one helluva ride.

rollerdude: you should see it in person, it looks weirder.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Once they add catwalks and handrails, it will look like a normal wooden coaster. It just looks so strange because the red rails stand out without the catwalks. They will still stand out, but the rest of the structure should make it look normal.

RCF

Strata Poster
MORE PICS!

This is what it looked like on Friday
giant_25_1.jpg

As you can see there's a new structure

This is what the track's supposed to be like
giant_25_2.jpg

It will have a double up right after the first drop, and this shows the beginning of it along with the new structure
giant_25_3.jpg

Saturday afternoon, tracked!
giant_26_1.jpg

It levels off before the second part which means the airtime will be off the hook
giant_26_2.jpg

and of course, the latest diagram
tpr_temp.png

Thanks to Zingoman from Theme Park Review for the pictures. I will be getting to the park at least before I leave so I can procure some pics of my own.

And the fact they're adding a double up is awesome to me, but let's hope no one goes, "But it's only a retracking why are they doing this it's going to be nothing like the old one :O" Considering the fact that the drop is steeper and taller, it has a lot of room to pullout (which will pull some good G's) and therefore, the double up.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
That actually looks pretty awesome, Especially with the top half of the double up turning like it does. I smell airtime :D