What's new

Saw Alive: Thorpe Park Horror Maze for 2010

Ollie

CF Legend
Nope. I agree with what they've done. If it was part of the ride it would of caused all sorts of problems.
Better as two separate attractions as some people don't like scare attractions. It's not the just the case off 'If you don't like it skip it' as it'll cause problems with the queueing and makes them longer. Better to keep the ride and the maze separate in my opinion. Makes more sense as it splits the queues and gives people two separate doses of Saw varying in intensity.

marc

CF Legend
Its still a once or twice attraction as far as I am concerned.

Give is a few months and it will be shut when the park is not busy as they wont want to keep paying the actors, and its the actors that will make this good or bad.

The theming does look good though but its just straight out the films so they should not really mess them up.

Ollie

CF Legend
Yeah but still... Everyone was complaining saying Saw had **** themeing when it didn't. Now they definitely can't ****ing complain at this.
^And the focus on Saw: The Ride is surprisingly 'The Ride' section. Their main concern was getting a good coaster up before putting all the themeing in. But yes it still would of been nice to see more Saw related items in it but it had enough to make the theme recognisable and for people to spot things from the films. It was more a custom theme anyway with a few traps from the films thrown in.

Whereas Saw Alive is walking through 6 scenes from the films so it has to be accurate and to a high standard. Also here people are walking through looking around as it's part of the attraction whereas if it was the queue for a ride people wouldn't pay as much notice to the detail as they'll be doing other things such as talking and using their phones.

Thorpe's made the right choice in my opinion and I can't wait to try this out now. :)

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
^Yes, but Thorpe have put a lot of effort into this, yet I have no interest in ever going into it...

A double-edged sword...

Ollie you did Fluch in the same year as Saw, and I did Mystery Mine, MM proved how to theme an indoor section properly... Fluch was unfinished and looked more impressive than Saw by far, and now it's being finished it looks better than MM...

As I said, I have absolutely no interest in doing the maze, and I'm sure I'm not the only one in the entire world, so all that effort is being put to waste for a small proportion of guests...

If they has themed the coaster to the same level as they seem to be doing on this, then the coaster would probably be a lot better in the end... Instead the missed out on a lot of things and instead the ride really does look like the Saw idea came in halfway...

And a park can focus on both theming and ride, just have to look at basically every single Disney ride to see this...

Ollie

CF Legend
^Yes but Thorpe isn't Disney (as much as the head of Merlin thinks they are).
What you have to remember is that Saw is one of the most themed rides the UK has had in a long time and is easily one of the best (if not 'the' best) themed coaster in the UK.
Yes alot more could of been done to it but people need to stop complaining and thank the park for what they gave us. They could of not themed it at all.

Ollie

CF Legend
SAW Alive – the world’s most extreme horror maze – subjects thrill seekers to ultimate terror:

Following the launch of SAW - The Ride last year, THORPE PARK is ramping up the terror factor by unleashing SAW Alive – the world’s most extreme horror maze – opening to the public on 18th March 2010.

Visitors to the blood-curdling new attraction will feel as though they are living in a real life horror film as scenes from the most successful horror film franchise in history, SAW, are re-enacted in realistic detail.

Guests that dare to enter the attraction will have their nerves pushed to the absolute limit, both from a psychological and sensory point of view, as they navigate the six traps depicting the most grisly and iconic torture scenarios from the six SAW films released to date.

Guests are invited to join in the frightful games designed to get the heart racing and disturb the mind. The real life horror film experience will create an atmosphere of terror with a series of gut wrenching stenches and macabre sights set in surroundings taken straight from the SAW films. Those brave enough to enter will witness the re-enactment of one of Jigsaw’s victims meeting their gruesome end before taking a terrifying walk though an electrified corridor, where one wrong move will result in a real electric shock. And if that isn’t enough, guests will also have to navigate through a mass of foul stenches, gory sights and the piercing sounds of a real life horror movie, in an effort to escape.

I've put the last bit in bold as it's the section that gives us a bit more insight into what to expect inside.
Sounds like it'll be great. :)

Novas

Mega Poster
Screaming Coasters said:
I don't fancy getting electrocuted FFS. I know it'll be light, but thats a bit too far.

Sounds great to me. The more I read the more I'm starting to think a trip to Thorpe is in order this season after all.

Ollie

CF Legend
Not really Erol. I think it's going to be great. A true multi-sensory experience. :)
In this you'll see, smell, touch, feel and be involved in all the scenes.

Ollie

CF Legend
Nothing like it. It'll feel like walking through a Saw movie which is the aim of the attraction.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOAc8lSnIG4[/youtube]

peep

CF Legend
Actually that was a decent trailer for it.

Also, Bill Bailey just tweeted that he's just been through the maze. Says 'a bit jumpy - great fun though'.

I'm going to be bricking it the whole way through by the sound of things lol.

Ollie

CF Legend
Haha Thorpe didn't make the trailer. I put some of it together and put in the custom titles. :p
It's the same clips used in the HHN Trailer though. I just customised it for Thorpe. :)

Yeah the celeb and Media night is happening right now.
Some of the celebs there include Bill Bailey, Brendan Cole, Gary Lucy, Jenni Falconer, Lady Soverign. Oh and Danny Dyer.

Heard some feedback from the maze but not going to say anything here until I hear more.

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
As much as I love the Saw franchise, I'm going to be absolutely terrified in this maze! :shock: But that's a good thing though, it'll mean the maze is succeeding in being scary (unlike The London Bridge Experience, which was terrible...good thing I got in for free...).

I can honestly say the pig masks still creep me out. But Billy the puppet's cool cool) Expecting to see some awesome animatronics of him, and if he doesn't say he wants to play a game I will PUNCH HIM.

Ollie

CF Legend
Right. This is what I've heard from people have been through it.

It looks great and the effects are cool but it's really light inside, apparently it's as light as it is in the photos. Also the actors are mainly young females who are neither scary nor intimidating.
That said though there's quite a few jumpy bits but overall not that scary.

That's what I've heard though. Not sure how reliable it is as I've been picking bits up from his FB updates.

Ollie

CF Legend
Well that's just one persons opinion. The celebs seem to be enjoying it though so more people are saying it's good that those saying it's bd.